360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
I've thought about it on swim baits... Only issue I'm afraid of (for me anyway in GOM) is that any additional flash will just attract more cudas and kings. :) Try it on cheap jigs and see what happens...

·
2,030 Posts
I wonder if this will affect the action of the jig itself?

My guess is it would because you have a drag on the bottom of the jig and it is not dancing as easily.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
My guess is it would because you have a drag on the bottom of the jig and it is not dancing as easily.

How about putting it on the top where split ring is...Imagine the blade will spin on the drop, if it is on the bottom, it won't spin since it will hit the jig itself.

·
2,924 Posts
just my 2 cents ...

I definitley do not like the setup on that jig it looks as though the jig can be used a a leverage point to lose the fish. The beauty of an assist hook from the top is when tight on a fish the mainline/leader is straight to the fish and the jig is out of the equation. That jig looks like it would work a fish off the jig because it has split rings attaching the hooks on each side

·
724 Posts
So what if you used a standard rigged diamond jig with single assist hook and added a swivel and spinner blade to the bottom eye of the jig? It seems as though it would fall more level due to the drag on the rear of the jig. I've made spinner baits for bass for years and have lots of components so I just might try it. With a 3 foot steel leader on the jig maybe I could catch a nice Hoo.

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Obviouisly that jig has some issues. I was just using it as an example for the spinner. This is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Gonna give it a try next time i'm out.

·
724 Posts
If it were me, I would use a willow leaf blade instead of the Colorado you have on the jig. The willow leaf won't slow the fall as much and won't have as much drag through the water. I expect I would use a hammered willow leaf for more flash.

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it were me, I would use a willow leaf blade instead of the Colorado you have on the jig. The willow leaf won't slow the fall as much and won't have as much drag through the water. I expect I would use a hammered willow leaf for more flash.

On a jig I use for tuna I actually want it to slow the fall. Planning to find some willow leafs for AJ jigs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts