360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have spooled the 550SSg & 650SSm with 70lbsSamuraiBraid (14lbs Diameter) ? Wondering how much line it will hold. Wanted to get the SoronSTX70 at first but with weeks of searching, most people tell me that the Soron STX70 dont' hold what they stated (17/250).........since they are from the same company, I better make sure before I put my money down.:) I am looking at a spinning that can hold 14lbs Diameter of 270-300 yards around $150 or so. Stella just too much for me now:(

·
1,448 Posts
i would get a cabo 60. ive had mine for 3 years now and its never flinched. i even bought it used!! should hold just shy of 300 yards of pe6. It holds the same amount of line as the 8000 series shimanos.

·
131 Posts
"Anyone have spooled the 550SSg & 650SSm with 70lbsSamuraiBraid (14lbs Diameter) ? Wondering how much line it will hold. Wanted to get the SoronSTX70 at first but with weeks of searching, most people tell me that the Soron STX70 dont' hold what they stated (17/250).........since they are from the same company, I better make sure before I put my money down. I am looking at a spinning that can hold 14lbs Diameter of 270-300 yards around $150 or so. Stella just too much for me now"

I have both reels and I would not do what your thinking.

Penn's SSg and SSm reels are pretty much designed to work with mono -- not braid. My 550SSg is spooled with 12lbs mono and the 650SSm has 15lb mono. I use the 550 as a pitch bait set up for dolphin, snapper, ... and the 650 for tarpon, sailfish, ... Both work great for their intended purpose.

If you're looking for a reasonably priced Penn reel for braid, try the Penn Slammer 560 or 760. I've spooled my Slammer 560 with 330yds of PE-5 Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid. The Slammer is a much stonger reel by design than either the SSg or SSm, and handles braid much better (different worm gear and the bail roller is tighter).

Tom

·
518 Posts
As Griffft said, the SSm and SSg series reels are just fine with mono, but are not designed for braid.
The Slammer series reels are designed for braid, including the "double" drag, and especially the beefed up main shaft.
The Slammer 560 holds 250/15 mono [260/50 braid], and the Slammer 760 holds 340/20 mono [390/65 braid].
Also bear in mind that the Slammer 560 max drag is 15 pounds and the 760 max drag is 20 pounds, so the 70 pound braid may be a bit of overkill.
For just a little more than your stated price range, the "braid ready" Penn Conquer 7000 [250/50 braid] has a max drag of 32 pounds, but the 8000 size that you probably need will not be available until August of 2010.

Disclaimer- affiliated
Penn Pro Staffer

·
717 Posts
IMO stay awat from those penns, go with the cabo mentioned or try to find a used saragosa or if you want to buy something new go with a baitrunner you will be much happier. These days I wouldnt buy any new Penn reel that are not what they used to be.

·
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For just a little more than your stated price range, the "braid ready" Penn Conquer 7000 [250/50 braid] has a max drag of 32 pounds, but the 8000 size that you probably need will not be available until August of 2010.

Disclaimer- affiliated
Penn Pro Staffer

Reading your other posts, you put PowerPro on right? I might be able to get 200 yard of 70lbs Samurai on it (.016mm) We will see....looks better than the Slammer for sure

Thank you
Thank you:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts