SPI....

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by Bill Fisher, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

mon & tues this week caught 3-man YFT limits, and one Big Eye (nothing over 150lbs)

didn't count the blackfin and there were no billfish, wahoo, or dorado that would show themselves.......... (bummer)

all-in-all, a decent overnighter

sunday before that we made a quick run trolling only and caught blackfin, dorado, and lost a hoo pushing triple digits....... no billfish then either

2. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

(nothing over 150lbs),,,,,,,,,,,,,,all-in-all, a decent overnighter.

I understand you are not Tuna crazy and prefer to target Billfish.
    But yep , pretty decent trips I'd say also.

No $4.00 fuel, no Hurricains, No palm branches for fly bridge cover.....:)

May I ask, What was your general area for overnighting?

Kev

3. Bill Fisher

went due east out about 120 NMs to the rigs.......

i was standing there monday night/early tuesday morning saying to myself outloud, "I can't believe i'm out here 'pole-fishing'"........ but at least after sunrise that morning we caught bunch trolling

i love watching'em pop out the water flying about 4'-r-so up in the air

funniest thing was someone spotted an old frenzy flyer and put it out on the shotgun and caught one........ it musta took another hit too cuz when we reeled it in it only had one wang left (on it's port side)

didn't do squat at night chunking bait either......... jigging worked best (and we weren't really equipped to do a whole lotta that)

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

good to hear you got some decent fish. who wants to drag behind a boat come on now??? ;)

how big was the eyeball?

5. Bill Fisher

how big was the eyeball?

a bit larger than the YFT of comparable size but that's not what caught my eye...........

i can usually tell right-off-the-bat with fresh tuna by the body coloration and pattern as-well-as finlet coloration

here's a link that might be helpful in making an ID- http://www.mexfish.com/fish/beyetuna/ItanoBigeyeTunaID.pdf

i'd say it's 'no biggee' wether-r-not you've got a YFT or a big eye but it can make a bit of a difference when the bite is on real good and you're wanting to make as big a meat-haul as possible cuz YFT are limited to 3 per person and there is no limit on big eye

wouldn'tcha hate to leave'em biting when ya know ya coulda took one-r-2 more home wittcha ;)

and the trolling <vs> jigging/popping/chunking thingy?????........ egnh....... whuddevver it takes my friend

i'm ambyoedextrous but i'm just better equipped for one over the other

i know you already know the only reason i hang here anyway is learn what's gonna be the best way for me to get outfitted for this new-fangled hi-tech-age of jigging and popping that's grown so popular over the last several years.......... (well,.. that,... and ocassionaly post up a little BS)

i did that schtuff some 20-odd-years-ago but didn't have gear designed specifically just for that purpose

and fwiw, this trip, we were jigging with plain ol'old-school diamond jigs...... none o'them fancy new fru-fru-colored butterfly jigs they got nowadays ;)

kinda makes wonder what we coulda done with the right equipment :eek:

:rolleyes:

:confused:

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

lol

i like bigeye sashimi better than yellowfin also :). congrats on the trip!

7. trlrman

trlrman Senior Member

a bit larger than the YFT of comparable size but that's not what caught my eye...........

i can usually tell right-off-the-bat with fresh tuna by the body coloration and pattern as-well-as finlet coloration

here's a link that might be helpful in making an ID- http://www.mexfish.com/fish/beyetuna/ItanoBigeyeTunaID.pdf

i'd say it's 'no biggee' wether-r-not you've got a YFT or a big eye but it can make a bit of a difference when the bite is on real good and you're wanting to make as big a meat-haul as possible cuz YFT are limited to 3 per person and there is no limit on big eye

wouldn'tcha hate to leave'em biting when ya know ya coulda took one-r-2 more home wittcha ;)

and the trolling <vs> jigging/popping/chunking thingy?????........ egnh....... whuddevver it takes my friend

i'm ambyoedextrous but i'm just better equipped for one over the other

i know you already know the only reason i hang here anyway is learn what's gonna be the best way for me to get outfitted for this new-fangled hi-tech-age of jigging and popping that's grown so popular over the last several years.......... (well,.. that,... and ocassionaly post up a little BS)

i did that schtuff some 20-odd-years-ago but didn't have gear designed specifically just for that purpose

and fwiw, this trip, we were jigging with plain ol'old-school diamond jigs...... none o'them fancy new fru-fru-colored butterfly jigs they got nowadays ;)

kinda makes wonder what we coulda done with the right equipment :eek:

:rolleyes:

:confused:
    thanks for the link now i too know the diff.!!!

8. Bill Fisher

who wants to drag behind a boat come on now??? ;)

Bret,......

well,.... i made it all of 4 days now and had to order a 30VSX just for sh!tz-n-grinz

whatcha reckon's the the best thing to do when it comes in?...... just ship it to Basil and have him spool it?

I'm thinkin' straight 130# JB hollow with a loop on the end for using their wind-on leaders......... i don't need a topshot of mono for a shock-leader since it won't be used for trolling now do i?

or would spooling it myself with non-hollow and just tie off to a spro swivel and tie on my own 80# flouro leaders sound more reasonable?

it would be nice to reel down to the fish in instead of having to leader'em the rest o'the way in.................

any thots?......... i don't have the patients, eyes, or manual dexterity left in my hands to try and deal with hollow and splice it myself :(