360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this site and have been lurking for a few days, based on my reading I decided that the Spheros was the right decision for me. I will be fishing this reel offshore, Northeast, only a couple times per year if I am lucky.

My plan is to stick with the original drags and beat them up before upgrading, is this a good idea?

I am also seeking advise on how to spool it up. I am thinking 65-80 pound braid, any recommendations on backing? How much line? Or should I just go direct with the braid? Thanks in advance, I plan on visiting often and posting reports when I get an opportunity to fish.

·
1,334 Posts
Change the drags out to Carbontex drag discs, much smoother! No backing is needed; just a couple pieces of electrical tape will hold the tag end to the spool so it doesn't slip. 65-80# braid is fine; I have my Saragosa 18000 spooled with 350 yds of 80# Daiwa Metered line since I use the reel for jigging as well.

What are you using the reel for and which size? If chasing tuna, probably want the 14000 or 18000 size! You can also use the Saragosa 18000 handle on it too for an upgrade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went with the 14000FB, I hope to chase some Bluefin with it. It may be a little undersized for the task, but I'll be lucky to make two trips (unfortunaltely). Hopefully I won't break it on a big fish, but it fit the budget, and if I don't lose the fish, I don't mind breaking the reel. I'm a sharker, so if the Bluefin spin fishing works out, I'll invest more. It won't hurt to have a spinning rod with a little muscle on board, during the shark trips.

·
1,334 Posts
John__Madison CT here has one. The drag discs are maybe around $15 or so. The stock drag discs get burned up pretty quickly and will get herky jerky. You can also spool it with 60# hollow core and do a loop to loop connection for your leader. He upgraded the handle and ball grip to the Saragosa one, much more comfy than the stock 14000 handle.

·
969 Posts
Yep, I'm a Spheros fan ! For some reason you can buy the 14000/18000 very cheap on Ebay. I think I paid $129 for mine brand new.

I called Shimano and told them I don't like the handle, so they sold me a Saragosa handle for only $35. The drag was upgraded to the Cal greased Carbontex for about $15.(thanks to Taz575)

The other differences between the $300 Saragosa are relatively minor.

You can put together a Tuna hunting spinning reel for under $180. Great bargain when you consider the other options.

My Spheros is loaded with 70lb Daiwa Boat braid. I believe the actual break strength is very close to 70lbs..

Here's a 18000 pretty cheap:

Shimano Spheros 18000FB Spinning Reel 18000 FB - eBay (item 170421183718 end time Jan-15-10 19:04:04 PST)

·
2,024 Posts
i have the spheros 14ooo and 18000. i like the drag stack in the 18000 better. it has more drags, but less diameter :) which I think will help with the heat dissipation. i am a spheros lover :) its a GREAT reel thats VERY economical, and only needs slight tweaking once you get it- to fish 22# of drag.

It aint no stella, thats for sure- but sure saves a lot of money for more trips :)

·
1,321 Posts
I would do the drag upgrade. I did, and it was easy. The concern is not necessarily the stock drags wearing out; rather, it is their failure on a good fish. Failure on a trip not only looses the fish but puts the reel on the sideline until you get home. For under $15, I highly recommend doing it beforehand. IMO it's the absolute best bang-for-buck upgrade you can do.

Oh, and I fish mine with 65# braid. Better casting distance than with 80#.

·
1,334 Posts
I have a Spheros 8000 and it doesn't feel as solid as the 14000's I have played with. For me, the stronger gears, better handle and aluminum construction was worth the extra $$$, so I got the Saragosa 18000. I may pick up a Spheros 18000 for my jigging reel and do the carbontex and handle upgrade since I usually jig with conventionals but like having the spinner just in case!

·
55 Posts
Three Spheros are hanging from the ceiling in my garage... A very affordable tough reel for the type gulf of mexico fish I jig n pop for...

All three, first thing was call smoothdrag.com and get a set of carbon tx washers and cals grease (I do it no matter what the reel)

I have them filled with braid I think some tape was used as backing or a layer of mono (I cant remember). Its never slipped on any of them and Ive had some serious pressure on the reel/line several times. I put about 4-10' or so of some sort of florocarbon leader reverse albright knot tied on to tie my jigs/rigs to. Usually its 60# or so.. If I get me one of those bobbin things, I might start tying that P R knot... Looks fairly easy with the thimble/bobbin thingy...

Question tho....I to would like to upgrade the handle

Can someone list a website, a phone number or someplace to contact to get the saragosa handle? all my handles are reeled in right handed, cant function properly doing it as a lefty, never have been able to do it... not coordinated enough I guess... ...hahaha

Also, has anyone ever upgraded the inside bushing to the ball bearing? If so, what size bearing does a person ask for and where to get it? Its my understanding that if you do the bearing switch, and get the upgrade handle, that you basically now have a Saragosa.

Appreciate the handle upgrade info...

Thanks in advance

Hog

PS: Previous writings about spheros I have bookmarked and sorta neat to read and learn from on a rainy day when theres nothing else to do..

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f60/shimano-spheros-14000-a-1096/

AUSTRALIAN KAYAK FISHING FORUM • View topic - Jigging reel - Daiwa Opus Bull 6000 vs Shimano Spheros 14000

Shimano Saragosa - SurfTalk

Shimano Bail-Less Upgrade Kit for 14000-18000 Size Saragosa F and Spheros FB Series Reels

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
The spheros is a very capable reel that according to some trusted recommendations is a stronger reel then then the sara. There is a bushing on one side that should be replaced with a bearing and the carbontex washers are a must too. I posted a link some time ago on these mods. The handle upgrade is nice to get as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the great responses. I paid 180 for the reel at Cabela's didn't really shop around because I had some gift cards. Sounds like I'll be starting with the drag upgrade as it's highly recommended, the handle may come after fighting a fish, glad to hear some positive input on the reel.

·
18 Posts
Hello to all! Just reading along on this topic as I'm thinking about a new setup for casting to bft as well. I too have a few gift cards for Cabelas burning a hole!
I was concerned that the Spheros would not have enough line capacity or stopping power for some of the fish that we may encounter in the NE.

"John from Madison", I'm in CT too. I keep my Everglades 223cc in Clinton, may have seen you out at SW Reef a time or two. Question for you... how big of a fish have you had on the converted Spheros and how much 80# braid will it hold?
Thanks to everone, good way to kill some time on a cold winter night!

·
1,334 Posts
Hi fellow CT person! I am in CT, too! I have a Saragosa 18000 and it holds over 350yds of Daiwa 80# braided line. The Saragosa 18000 and Spheros 18000 hold the same amount of line I believe, and have pretty much the same drag stacks. The Spheros has a bushing in place of a bearing, a graphite sideplate and the Saragosa has a higher grade of gears and a better handle besides the other differences. Get a Spheros 18000, upgrade to Carbontex and upgrade to the Saragosa handle from Shimano, spool it with either 80# daiwa or 65# braid and you should be good to go!

If you need a rod to match with it, let me know; I'm a rodbuilder in CT!

·
969 Posts
Soggy: I'm sure I've seen you out there. I have a 25' Parker Pilothouse at Cedar Island Marina in Clinton.

While my passion is offshore fishing...canyons, sharking, Cape Bluefin, etc etc... I still do a lot of inshore fishing too.....Stripers, Blackfish, Fluke, SeaBass etc etc....

Are you in CTFisherman.com. TAZ and I hang out there for local chat.

As for the Spheros 14000, the largest fish I caught on it was only 80lbs or so, but since it's basically the same as the Saragosa, which has a track record of doing well on Bluefin up to 200lbs, you should feel comfortable with it. TAZ can easily do a drag upgrade for you. He knows this stuff well. He also is a custom rod wizard, so keep tight with him.

John

·
18 Posts
Hi fellow CT person! I am in CT, too! I have a Saragosa 18000 and it holds over 350yds of Daiwa 80# braided line. The Saragosa 18000 and Spheros 18000 hold the same amount of line I believe, and have pretty much the same drag stacks. The Spheros has a bushing in place of a bearing, a graphite sideplate and the Saragosa has a higher grade of gears and a better handle besides the other differences. Get a Spheros 18000, upgrade to Carbontex and upgrade to the Saragosa handle from Shimano, spool it with either 80# daiwa or 65# braid and you should be good to go!

If you need a rod to match with it, let me know; I'm a rodbuilder in CT!

Taz,
Thanks for your response, and your input on the reels.
I was away for a few days for New Years, so I'm just receiving this.
I also just spotted the rods you built for John... wow, beautiful, bad ass looking set ups! I am looking to do a new spin set-up for CC tuna. Not sure yet what I want, but we gotta talk! :D Where are you located?
I live in Berlin and keep the boat at Harborside Marina, Clinton.

What are your thoughts about the new Diawa Saltist spinners? A buddy bought a 6000 in November but has not hooked anything yet. I was always under the impression that Diawa was crap, but that reel looks decent. Not sure what is going on inside?!

Do you have a website, I would love to see more of your work!
Thanks and talk soon.
Craig

·
1,334 Posts
Soggy, I'll reply to your PM about the rods, but I will answer about the Saltist spinners here!

The Saltist are decent entry level reels, but I believe the general consensus is that they will not hold up to the CC BFT, especially the larger ones. For inshore stuff, like bass and blues and surf fishing, they should hold up fine. For the heavy tuna, I think you need to step up to a better reel. The Spheros would be the minimum I would consider, followed by the Saragosa, and Stella. I think the Saltiga spinning reels would be OK, too, but haven't seen much posted about them. Daiwa does make some very nice products, like the Saltiga reel and Saltist reels for inshore saltwater, but the Saltist spinner just doesn't have it internally for the demanding game of the BFTs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts