SPHEROS V STELLA

Discussion in 'Reels' started by seahunter, Jan 5, 2009.

1. seahunter

seahunter Member

Ok here goes..this is going to be interesting..
    SPHEROS V STELLA.

Spheros with an upgraded drag and an extra bearing to replace the bush on the LHS cover plate.
    From a scale from lowest 1-10 highest how much difference in power,construction,drag.
    Your thoughts.
    Just curious what the out come is.

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

no comparison.

3. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Spheros would be cheaper. Not aware of any other positive aspects to the equation at all.

This is about like comparing the Pontiac Fiero to the Ferrari: upgrade the tires, brakes, and exhaust manifold on the Fiero......but it remains a Pontiac.

I spent over $500 having a Penn 9500 upgraded with all new Japanese drags, handle, drag knob, etc, etc, etc. In the end, I was left with a somewhat shinier Penn 9500. Nothing more.

4. ember

ember Guest

To tell you the truth. I didnt find swapping out the bushing for the Stella bearing made much, if any, difference in performance or longevity.

5. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

no need for comparison, it is what it is.

6. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

AMC Rambler vs VW Beetle

Rambler as the seats folded all the way back..

VW bus.. in a leauge of it's own..

7. seahunter

seahunter Member

How do you all come to this no win conclusion on the Spheros.

You have owned one of each..?
    You own both and have stripped them down and compared the parts up side by side..?
    You say stella is better cause your trying to justify spending top dollar to own one..?
    You have a degree in understanding metals..?
    You have heard a stella is better and don't own one..?
    You have tried with the spheros and it failed…?

YouTube - Promo: Shimano Spinning Reels

8. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

it's mostly a Fit and Finish issue but longevity has got to go with the Stella. Since I own both I will give some things to compare.

The Spheros is a good functional reel for the money... with some care and maintenance could last a long time. I have one with the Carbon Tex drags that has boated some nice YFT. The Spheros has some corrosion issues with the spool and the stock handle is not very well suited to big game fishing. Fishing more than mid 20's drag can cause drag knob meltdown.

Stella..

Everything about the Stella is precision.. fit and finish is top shelf. It has a much smoother and tighter action. The handle is big enough for offshore game fish. The Stella can put out and sustain more drag than most anglers and rods can handle. Quality is evident between the two when you fish with both.

You can Tuna Fish from a bass boat but it sure is easier from a 40ft Sport Fisher.. same difference in the 2 reels... right tool for the right job.

If you plan on fishing several trips a year get the Stella if you go offshore 2 times a year the Spheros is a good option.

9. seahunter

seahunter Member

Good reply.
    thanks..
    Now i know what others are saying in their reply's

10. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Here is what I have to say. I have jigged with both and there is no comparison, but if you don't have the money for the Stella, then the Spheros will work. It will handle a good amount of pressure and you just have to maintain it a little more. I jig in an area where tuna aren't a problem, so ajs and grouper is what I target and catch.

11. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

How do you all come to this no win conclusion on the Spheros.

You have owned one of each..?

I've owned two Spheros spinning reels.

You say stella is better cause your trying to justify spending top dollar to own one..?

No, I own 12 Stella's and am not trying to 'justify' anything at all, merely answering the question.

You have a degree in understanding metals..?

No, I don't. Do you?

You have heard a stella is better and don't own one..?

I've never owned just 'one' of anything. I'm all about spares, no matter how good the product. I've got a dozen Stella's and went that route after trying many competitors.

You have tried with the spheros and it failed…?

Seized up completely, which I equate with failure.

12. seahunter

seahunter Member

With the reply’s I thinking seriously dumping the idea of the spheros.
    Looking at a van staal 150vs as the next choice.Should last a while.

13. ember

ember Guest

Spheros 14000 FA put more than a few decent bluefin in the boat around here.Not the best money can buy,but not the worst either, certainly serviceable if thats what your budget dictates.Give Saragosa a look too.Plenty has been posted about how to avoid the drag knob meltdown both share.

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Van Staal is originally surf reels I believe. They have offshore reel now but everyone that tried them gave them up that I see. I don't see how you went from low budget Spheros compare to Stella now jump to Van Staal over stella when stella is proven. You can get stella (not newest) for 500 on ebay by surfing around.

15. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I'm with rtran. You can definitely still find Stella FA's around the net for same price if not cheaper than Van Staals... Much better option IMO.

16. seahunter

seahunter Member

It was all to do with pricing as I was offered a spheros new cheap then the same with a van staal.i know how it looks to you figuring out what’s he thinking but I can buy the van staal much cheaper than a stella.

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Have you ever fished a Van Staal? I don't want to talk you out of it, but trust me, it's really not in the same league as a Stella. If your intentions are primarily surf fishing and dunking the reel constantly, then it would be a good choice for that purpose. If you plan on fishing from any kind of platform, (boat, jetty, pier) then I would eliminate the Van Staal from your list.

I've never owned a sphero's reel, so I can't pass judgement on it. For the money I think it's a good reel. A step up would be the new saragosa if the stella is stretching the budget.

18. seahunter

seahunter Member

Ok good advice..no i have never fished with a van staal and no use for the surf,my thoughts were the quality which means i can get a lot of years use out of it.
    So if that's the bottom line in choices for me re van staal then i need to re think my buying plan.I would certainly hate having bought one to find it's the wrong choice i made.Even though it would have been a bargain.

19. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Have you consider Daiwa Saltiga Surf or Shimano Saragosa reels?
    I do not have any Sphero's reel so no comment from my part.
    I use Stella FA & Daiwa Saltiga SA-Z5000 - high price: yes but worth the cost IMHO - I do use them often except Stella SW (just bought it - need to learn to stop looking at new reels at tackle store)
    Stella FA prices are much more reasonable than the newer SW models.

20. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

spheros was built for cheap arses like me who cant afford stella... it gets the job done with the carbon fiber drags.. but it aint no stella... BUT it gets the job done.... 22# of drag is very fishable with a spheros without drag failure.