Spheros, Cabo, FinNor, Okuma VS

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by jtl720, Apr 2, 2008.

1. jtl720

jtl720 Junior member

Hello all,

I was wondering what would be a good match to a Hopper 5'8" Spinning 500g ? I will be jigging off NC, VA, and MD. Species would be AJ, Grouper, Tilefish, King Mackrel, and small tuna. Please let me know the pros and cons.

thank you

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i think you posted this on another board? you should get reviews here of the cabo that are positive. Are you ruling out the Saragosa? If so, why? Check out Kil's pics of the AJs he caught with it. They're nice AJs!

3. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

i think you posted this on another board? you should get reviews here of the cabo that are positive. Are you ruling out the Saragosa? If so, why? Check out Kil's pics of the AJs he caught with it. They're nice AJs!

I second Bret's advice :) I'll be picking up a Saragosa 18000 in no time.

What is your price range? Maybe that would help?

4. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

go for the Saragosa but keep the Spheros with upgraded drag as a second choice

5. jtl720

jtl720 Junior member

yes i have posted on deepjigging and noreast. I am trying to stay under 200 for the first reel.... there is always the upgrade later.

I may go conventional instead also with a hopper rod

i see torium16-20and saltist30-40are the main choices but i don't know what size. Also the slatist would need the carbonex washers.

6. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

for under 200, go with the Cabo. 300 gets you a saragosa.

7. j0hnnyv

j0hnnyv Senior Member

for under 200, go with the Cabo. 300 gets you a saragosa.

Agree 100%. Cabo is best 200$ spinning reel on the market IMO, for the 300$ range and for what you are doing....the saragosa is it.

8. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

the cabo 80's drag blows away any non stella shimano spinner. the only thing the saragosa has on the cabo 80 is line capacity. for the fish you are after the cabo 80 is your reel. you wont need 500 yards for any of those fish.