Spheros 18000FB

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by nxtbgctch, Apr 23, 2009.

1. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Anybody know much about this reel? I thought I had it figured out to get the saragosa 18000f for $269 shipped until I just came across the spheros 18000fb for $159 shipped. From what I can gather the FB is an updated model. Anyone know what the difference is now between the saragosa and new spheros and is it worth $110? I am gonna go with new drag washers on either one so thats out of the equation. Thanks!

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Email this guy he can tell you exactly. He is the Service Rep for Shimano.

Dan Thorburn
    E-mail Address(es):
    [email protected]

3. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

i just bought one. its a lot larger spool that the 14000. i think everything else is about the same. i like the looks of it. not too heavy, but larger enough spool to tame a beast. i bought mine(new) for $135 off ebay... just do some searching and have patience on the bid wars ;)

4. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

It's really a wash. The Spheros has the same drag rating, but one less washer. The Saragosa has one more bearing ($15-$16), a much better handle (IMO) $72 from Shimano. The Spheros can be had at a discount on ebay ($135 + shipping) but deals on the Saragosa seem to be rare

5. nxtbgctch

nxtbgctch Senior Member

Thanks!

This is the response from the shimano rep.

"The Saragosa has our Paladin gearing which is a huge improvement in overall strength. The Saragosa also has a machined handle for added strength. The addition of a Titanium coated spool lip helps reduce friction and improve performance with braided line.

Overall the Spheros is a great reel and will handle almost everything you can throw at it. The Saragosa is just a little more refined with some additional features to make it a higher end reel."

I went with the saragosa.