Sperm Whale found on Padre Island beach

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by DeepBlueGulf, Jun 11, 2008.

1. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

2. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I imagine that could make Billy Sandifer change his brand of bourbon. :)

Interesting--the difference between Texas and California. Had it occurred out there, they would have declared it a state holiday for everyone to go down to the beach and deliver artificial respiration and hold signs blaming Bush. In Texas--not so much. However, I am at least glad that there weren't a bunch of my fellow rednecks down there cutting it up to take home.

Russ

3. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

This reminds me of a video Snagged sent me several years ago where some brillant professors tried to blow up a beached whale with explosives:eek: !!! Talk about redneck, but this was innovative at the time. I estimate the date to be around 1970 by the vehicles in the video. Well, this turned into a party and I would of been sure to be there with a buzz and a harlem of hotties :D and friends if it was my day. The news was there to capture the brilliant idea and event :D . If all went as planned, the 40 ton whale was supposed to blow up and/or disinegarte into small pieces for all the crabs, fish, and birds to eat:) . No cleanup needed, just blow it up and feed the foodchain! Well, things did not go as planned:eek: . The explosives went off and the side of the whale the explosives were on bounced a little. Several tons of large blubber chunks shot several hundred feet in the air and pelted the spectators with large heavy chunks of torn blubber!!! Cars were dented!! The whale was still where it was prior to blowing it up, but now about a 1/4 of the whale was mangled blubber!!

Here is the link to the video!! LOL!! The Infamous Exploding Whale - Video

4. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I'll tell you what, belly, As I was telling a couple of friends here at work today, this makes me want to put on my seal-skin parka with chunks of rotting fish , grab my harpoon, summon all the women in my igloo to put on their caribou pantaloons with the access flaps in back, and run down to Padre to hunt dinner.

5. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

lol....the seagulls were nowhere to be found. Smart seagulls.

6. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Think of all the chum you would have if you cut that up! I'd like to know what they plan on doing with the carcass after they do their autopsy. I hope they don't leave it on the beach!

DBG

7. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Dang, that exploding whale video is pretty damn funny!!
    I bet the coyotes will be out in force eating on that carcass on the island.

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I just wonder who gets the spermicetti. There must be a couple of barrels even in such a small whale's head. Surely possession is illegal, but no doubt the Japanese would pay big bucks.