Speckle Trout

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by MrBill, May 25, 2009.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The calmest weekend for fishing in months and the offshore boats both decide they want to be trouble makers.:mad: Never fails, calm seas and no offshore fishing. I'm beginning to think I've done something wrong in my life and I'm being punished by a greater power.:eek:

When big boat mechanical problems arise, I had a choice of going to the beach or bay fishing. I really don't fish the bays. It's been years but the girls wanted to hit the water. Bay fishing and beer drinking seem like a pretty good idea. Beats working on a boat and dealing with shade tree mechanic's.:D

There was a few thunder storms around but overall it was a nice three day Memorial weekend. I was worrying about my good camera getting wet, so I used a Olympus 770 which is waterproof and fit's in my pocket. It doesn't take very good pictures, but it's safe when rain is around and your on a boat with no where to hide.

Attached Files:

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Some more pics. I don't take bottles on boats. When the girls say they need over 100 bottles of beer drank to clear out the refrigerator, then I must obey. Forgetting a bottle opener, makes you teach the girls how to open them with fishing pliers.:D

Attached Files:

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Very nice pile of specks there MrBill!

4. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

mr bill you must be the famous man in the XX beer commercials.....rick

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink Dos XX." I must be the famous man!!!:)

I'll tell you one thing. I'm not used to drinking about 20 Dos XXs beers in one day. The only food on board was these super hot cayene pepper coated peanuts. I ate a whole 16oz can.:eek: When we got back from fishing the first day, I couldn't find my Zantac 150's. I had horrible heartburn. I sent my wife to the store to get me some while I shook up some mean margarita's.:D

Attached Files:

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

...he once had an awkward moment, just to see how it felt...

...bulls flat out refuse to fight him

man i wish i remembered more of those, the commercials are hilarious! :)

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Attached Files:

8. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

is that dock at your house? if so that a sweet setup. when i retire i want a setup like that. do you have lights for the specks? every dock here has some flood lights to attract specks.
    Also some decent sized fish. pretty cool. No cover on the flats boat. maybe under the casting platform.

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The flats boat is kept on a lift. It was parked in a open slip shortly for beer restocking and girls using the bathroom.:eek: When you leave you just make sure it's cranked up high in the lift just in case weather becomes an issue while your gone.

Yes, there are lights at the dock.
    Green lights are placed on the bottom of the chanel which is 9' deep. They attract tons of bait and small specs. A cast net will catch you plenty of piggy perch and ribbonfish for offshore baits. It's against the law to keep any game-fish using a castnet.

Most specs at the green light are under 14 inches. The outside edges of the lights hold the larger ones, but it isn't very sporty to catch them at the dock. The light is primarily used for "Watching" and bait catching. It's like a fireplace. You just sip on a drink and watch all the activity as time flys. Occasionally you will see something strange such as a rare tarpon come eat the bait at the light.

In Texas, the limit of specs is 10 per day per person. They have to be 15-25" in length. Each person can keep only 1 spec over 25" per day. Since there was four of us fishing, we could keep 40 per day. We didn't keep any under
    18". Most were about 20" with about five that went 24". We didn't have a single one over 25".

Specs are wimps. They have a very soft mouth. I just lock up the drag and winch them in the boat. Using that method, you will lose about 10% as the hook will rip out of the soft mouth. They do taste pretty good, but the yield of net meat isn't very good. The whole key to mastering trout is finding them. Once you find them it's easy picking. I'm an offshore guy. I like to catch fish that want to pull me out of the boat.:)

Attached Files:

10. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Very nice Mr Bill !!!