Spawning AJs

Discussion in 'Reef fish' started by AJ hunter, Feb 6, 2007.

1. AJ hunter

AJ hunter Guest

Has anyone seen male or female AJs roed-up i.e., spawning condition in the Northern GOM? If so where and what time of year. Thx

2. AJ hunter

AJ hunter Guest

The AJ's near Suwannee Florida are starting to go reproductive, so the testes (male sex organ) and ovaries (the female naughty bits) are getting large. Anyone else seen ripening fish? I am just trying to find out the differences in time and duration of spawning in the different parts of the Gulf of Mexico and would really be in your debt if you clean your AJs and happen to see that they are getting ready to spawn. Thnks

3. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hey AJ hunter!

There is a trip going out next weekend -The Capt John out of Galveston- that will have some guys from this board and will have very good chances of catching some AJ's.

Go to this thread - Big EZ Lineman - and maybe PM some of the guys with info on what you're looking for.

I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

4. AJ hunter

AJ hunter Guest

Thanks Ragman for the info. Galveston is an area that I am really interested in because it is not known exactly where AJs spawn except down at Riley's hump in the Florida Keys.

5. AJ hunter

AJ hunter Guest

We caught some AJs off Tampa that were starting to spawn. The roe was big about a pound in each female. Males were also ripe when we cleaned them. Anyone else see any getting ripe?

6. AJ hunter

AJ hunter Guest

We are seeing baby aj's all over the place off of Suwannee. They look like rudderfish when small (white with lots of wide black vertical stripes) and anywhere from an inch to 7 inches in length. They are coming up under the boat when we stop to catch bait or fish. Also they are around all the crab trap lines. Anyone else seeing these guys? I am just trying to find out if they spawned this well accross the Gulf of Mexico. I have never seen so many.