Southern NJ - BFT Skunk

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by peterb, Sep 14, 2008.

1. peterb

peterb Member

Well, after a couple of great trips over the past six weeks, we got the skunk yesterday. First, tried trolling for about 2 hours around the 25 hole/Lemkes. We then rode over to the claw and chunked for about 4 hours. We got some falsies and mahi, but no BFT.

I guess that they have moved on. Oh well, it was fine while it lasted.

Peter

2. 1Bigtrouble

1Bigtrouble Junior member

thanks for the report.. I fish out of BI and was looking to go south towards lemke or claw this week, but now not sure.

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You got to fish where fish are. :)
    They moved up to north of Lobster Claw.
    They did not disclose the area they fish, but one boat landed 17 and released 15 today.
    Bluefin were boling behind the boat and they even landed bft on poppers.
    I introduced metallic sardine jigs to them and they had tuna on every drop.

4. 1Bigtrouble

Hey Kil would love to have you onboard my boat.. 33 Blackfin fish out of BI.

5. peterb

peterb Member

Harry,

I was with your buddies Rich and John.

Peter

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

thanks for the report.. I fish out of BI and was looking to go south towards lemke or claw this week, but now not sure.
    I plan to go on Tuesday and I let you know how we make out.

7. 1Bigtrouble

Harry,

I was with your buddies Rich and John.

Peter

Ok, Rich reached out to me with an invite but I could not make it..:( I'm sure we'll get together some time in the near future.;)... did you fish on his boat?

8. 1Bigtrouble

I plan to go on Tuesday and I let you know how we make out.

Ok email me when you get a chance.. I'll provide my cell # and keep you posted when we head out mid week.. I live in Forked River and boat's in my back yard..:D

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ok email me when you get a chance.. I'll provide my cell # and keep you posted when we head out mid week.. I live in Forked River and boat's in my back yard..:D
    I go out of Waretown, not far from Forked River. :)

10. 1Bigtrouble

I go out of Waretown, not far from Forked River. :)

you passing by my house..why dont you stop by :)

11. peterb

peterb Member

Yes, we fished on Rich's boat. It wa a fun ride out (some pretty big swells). It calmed down by the PM, and we came in averaging about 29 Kts.

12. turfman

turfman Member

you passing by my house..why dont you stop by :)

Mine too. I'm in Bayville

13. 1Bigtrouble

Yes, we fished on Rich's boat. It wa a fun ride out (some pretty big swells). It calmed down by the PM, and we came in averaging about 29 Kts.

biggest CC I've fished on:D

14. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Well, after a couple of great trips over the past six weeks, we got the skunk yesterday. First, tried trolling for about 2 hours around the 25 hole/Lemkes. We then rode over to the claw and chunked for about 4 hours. We got some falsies and mahi, but no BFT.

I guess that they have moved on. Oh well, it was fine while it lasted.

Peter
    maybe next time..they are still around out there,
    i almost made that trip ..looks like a nice boat

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I was going to fish in Stellwagen Bank on Wed, but I had to cancel it as my wife called me her fight schedule from London changed and she is coming on Wed.
    Instead, I went bluefin jigging out of NJ on Canyon Runner's 33' center console Regulator yesterday (09-16). We got the spot around 4:30 am and waited until bites started. By 6:00 am, bites started in force and the hot bites lasted one hour. After that we had steady bites on bait.

My long spell of drought was over (no fish on my last four trips) and I got hit about a dozen times and fought tuna on jigs from 30 lbs to 100 lbs. The biggest tuna we kept was 59 inches (109 lbs) and we released bigger tuna estimated 120 - 130 lbs).
    I jigged mostly with 500g Jigging Master Power Spell spinning with Zeebaas Reel and 500g JM Power Spell conventional rod with Saltiga 40.
    Zeebass reel performed well with 80 -90 lbs tuna with 25 lbs drag.
    I had some concern whether the small optional oval knob is comfortable or not before the trip. I didn't see much problem with it while fighting tuna as my hands are small. But the short, straight handle was not comfortable.
    500g JM Power Spell did great job as usual. It was so much easier to fight as the rod tip had so much recoiling power while fighting tuna.

It is first time this year I saw many small bluefin tuna in 30 - 60 lbs range.

16. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Very Nice! Congrats on breaking the drought with a great trip!

Jason

17. TBaker

TBaker Senior Member

Great trip, Kil! I need to get out there for those BFTs. Just gotta find the right time and weather window. :)

500g JM Power Spell did great job as usual. It was so much easier to fight as the rod tip had so much recoiling power while fighting tuna.

Sounds like it did a great job. I think thats the same thing I noticed fighting the AJs in NC with the OTI 600g. Rods are so powerful, they seem to do their own pulling! :)

18. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I was going to fish in Stellwagen Bank on Wed, but I had to cancel it as my wife called me her fight schedule from London changed and she is coming on Wed. .

What's up with women and London. My wife and four of her girlfriends are going to London in two weeks. I was in shock last night as I overheard her on the phone with one of the girls. A Gin and Tonic is $42.50 at the hotel she is staying.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

As a joke, I'm going to the local HEB and get her some canned Vienna sausages, spam, and sardines to take with her to save money.:) :)

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

. A Gin and Tonic is $42.50 at the hotel she is staying.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

As a joke, I'm going to the local HEB and get her some canned Vienna sausages, spam, and sardines to take with her to save money.:) :)
    That is what my wife told me yesterday. We decided to send food to our daughter in London who was just transfered to London for 2 years. :)

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Here are pictures of actions of 500g Jigging Master Power Spell with Zeebaas and Saltiga 40 on Tuesday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]