South African Surface Plugs

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by miles, Nov 7, 2008.

1. miles

miles Senior Member

Hiya

I've been browsing the US websites and have not found anything that resembles our most succesfull surface plugs. These chisel-nosed 'perspex' plugs have caught Yellowfin, Albacore, Yellowtail, Dorado and GT's. Very simple in design and construction and VERY effective.

With todays rising prices, these very in-expensive lures work exceedingly well, for their price!!

[​IMG]

Also check:
    Welcome To Aubrey Da Gamma Lures - http://www.aubreydagamalures.com - Plettenberg Bay - South Africa - lures south africa, lures africa, Highly effective hand made fishing lures, we support tag and release, Charlie Lilford has tagged & released over

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

hey miles...as we all know, fancy lures catch more fisherman than fish :)

what kind of hardware is on those lures (hooks, rings, etc)?

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I just tried to order some, but they have no pricing or way to order. I filled out the form. Hopefully I will hear from them.

4. miles

miles Senior Member

Those are designed primarily for yellowtail, which are in the 10-20lb class. I have taken YF up to 150lb's on them, when one accidently grabs the lure. We're normally fishing 20-30lb mono, so you can't put much pressure on them. They're made of teflon, with lead added in the rear for casting weight. Many of the anglers fishing off the ledges also LOVE them, as they can be cast a fair ways out, survive being bashed against the rocks and the yellowtail, which is our primary inshore gamefish, LOVE them!! Costs US$2.00 to US$3.00 per lure!

The link below the photo shows the Aubrey Da Gama plugs, which actually SLIDE on the line, so you can pretty much affix what-ever terminal tackle to it. These are HUGELY popular for the guys who travel in Africa and target moster GT's.

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Once jigging and popping is exposed more over there I believe many fisherman will take it up. It takes patience for jigging and popping. Once people see they fish can actually be caught doing so it will drive more interest.