Source for triangle front foam grips?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Pacific Fisher, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Pacific Fisher

Pacific Fisher Guest

I am planning on building a Calstar 700H rod and would like to put a triangle foam grip on the front similar to the Shimano jigging rods.
    Anyone know of a source?
    Thanks.

2. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Acidrod or any of the retailers that order through merrick...

I am planning on building a Calstar 700H rod and would like to put a triangle foam grip on the front similar to the Shimano jigging rods.
    Anyone know of a source?
    Thanks.

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i have them, or can dropship to you from merrick

4. jureal

jureal Senior Member

BTW, what happened to Merrick and Rodbuilding.org. Did they have a falling out? Not to stir the pot...but just curious.

5. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

can i say.."i dont know" :D :D and feel safe:D :D .maybe i can just pretend i didnt see this:D :D

6. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Well, mumms the word over there too...

7. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

waited 'til this thread died before asking............

anyone ever seen a standup rod with a really long foregrip that's finger-grooved full length like an old bicycle grip?

the weekend before this thread started i saw one on an offshore TV show

was wondering if that was custom made from a block, or actually someone's product (never seen one in all my internet shopping)

i've tried triangular ones and standard round ones but that one made me wonder if it would distribute the pressure all around your fingers and help prevent the fatigue, numbness, and outright locked up cramped fingers ya get from a long hard fight when you're not strapped onto the rig with a harness

anyway it looked interesting................ goofy,.......... but interesting

8. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Dennis Braids rods all have that grip. I have not seen any ready made to install in any of my rod builders catalogs so I would guess that they are grooved by hand using a rounded file.

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i have them, not the BIG rubber grips on braid rods..but finger grooved eva..very popular grip

10. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

i have them, not the BIG rubber grips on braid rods..but finger grooved eva..very popular grip

How does one install those grips and wrap the stripper guide? Assume you would have fold the grip back onto itself and secure it to wrap the guide.

11. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

12. jureal

jureal Senior Member

I would think that with a round file, you would be able to make your own.