Son-One 2nd annual Port Aransas 12 hour Tuna charter?

Discussion in 'Boat Pooling' started by TOO, Mar 26, 2008.

1. TOO

TOO Senior member

Hi folks, looking to see if there is interest in a 2nd annual Son-One 12 hour tuna charter on one of the party boats in Port Aransas this July.
    Tenatively the dates I'm looking at are July 22nd or 23rd. That is the middle of the week just take that into consideration.
    I have not decided on a particular boat or dock yet with things in a state of change in right now Port Aransas, but will do some more research and make a decision if there is demand for a party boat 12 hour tuna charter. I know the only captains and boats that can not be questioned/ discussed about over the 'net are in Louisiana, and this just a party boat charter, but so far our luck on party boats for tuna has been pretty good out of Port Aransas in the past. (BTW, I know Louisiana captains are very good at their work and provide a great service)
    However, as said, there is some things that need to found out about in Port Aransas out before we book a boat.
    We would limit the boat to 15-18, as Son-One is taller than awesum, but is not a lard butt, so 16 would be a good number again.( Not at all saying awesum is a lard butt)
    Got an idea to run out there for folks.
    I've got about 4-5 dad's with kids in the 12-14 year old range that had talked about doing a 12 hour tuna run & gun, including Earl, TOO for 3 dads/son's and another maybe dad/child.
    Question is, would folks be interested having two charters that week?
    A parent/child charter and then an adult only a day or two later? Both Tuna run and gun 12 hour charters.
    Limit both to 16 or so fishermen?
    If we get interest during that week of July 21st-25th, we can organize the one or two charters and get things going.
    Cost will be aound $150'ish per person for the charter depending on the boat and dock, but we'll post the suggested details if there is interest in doing a 12 hour party boat run & gun charter during the week of July 21st-25th. Hope not too many foks are disappointed that this is just a party boat that expects to get paid for the service.
    Post up if interested as well as to give input or suggestions. That is allowed with Texas party boats, right?

2. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

target blackfin?
    yessir....behind the shrimpboats and what not. sounds like fun! wish i could do it but its primetime fishing season and i know the boat im on now will proly be fishing so i cant complain:D

3. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Sounds possible.
    Parent son Charter...........

4. TOO

TOO Senior member

Yep, BFT if they can be found. Hopefully a Rogue YFT or two will show up. Has happened before.
    Last year we deep dropped for AJ's and Snapper then hit the shrimpers and caught 22 BFT and some very, very big Bonito. It was a good charter even though it was only a party boat.
    Need to add it would be an equal sharing trip, Son-one would pay my and his spot each equally.
    Layout opinions on the dates, numbers, etc if you got them and are interested in going.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

do we need to get 2 spots? i'd probably come down for a trip. during the week is fine.

6. TOO

TOO Senior member

BB, the way this charter is not filling up, I would'nt ask anyone to try to fill two spots, much less try to make two charters happen. So calling for one spot would is fine.
    Bazztex and awesum had mentioned being interested, a buddy of mine, Son-one and me so far are committed. Fishead56 maybe two spots, and you.
    So 3 for certain, two purty sure,and 3 possibles. I'm guesing more specific stuff like a specific boat and date might draw more commitments.
    Got two boats and captains that we'll choose from, will find out and post soon.

7. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

We had a great time on that trip last year!! I think that was the trip we caught just undersized AJ's all day long on jigs! And then we got into some BFT at the end of the day too. It was a really great trip!

I'm already committed for my July trips and won't be able to make this one.:(

Hope the trip comes together for your son.

Tom

8. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

Willlie, could you send me the details on this trip in a pm.. may be something for my son and I .. I am going to take him on the big e in sept.

9. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

willie, could you send me the details about this in a pm? my son and I may be interested!

thanks

10. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

i have no idea how to post

11. Bret

Bret Senior Member

i have no idea how to post

Hey man ,
    it looks like you're doing a pretty good job of it... JK>

12. surftime

surftime Junior member

should be available - and will check with S-I-L this weekend

13. awesum

awesum Senior Member

We had a great time on that trip last year!! I think that was the trip we caught just undersized AJ's all day long on jigs! And then we got into some BFT at the end of the day too. It was a really great trip!

I'm already committed for my July trips and won't be able to make this one.:(

Hope the trip comes together for your son.

Tom

Yeah, I recall that Richard was catching AJ two at a time and you were catching one on every drop. I got two keeper size AJs and one was while I was Beeliner fishing and it took me down to my knot on my spinner.

We had some good sized Blackfins and the Bonito were big too. This was while Jerry was in the hospital and we dedicated the trip to him.

Things were a little simpler last year. You could just call up DSH and charter the Pelican with Capt. John B.

That was the good old days.

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

BB, the way this charter is not filling up, I would'nt ask anyone to try to fill two spots, much less try to make two charters happen. So calling for one spot would is fine.
    Bazztex and awesum had mentioned being interested, a buddy of mine, Son-one and me so far are committed. Fishead56 maybe two spots, and you.
    So 3 for certain, two purty sure,and 3 possibles. I'm guesing more specific stuff like a specific boat and date might draw more commitments.
    Got two boats and captains that we'll choose from, will find out and post soon.

yeah barring something crazy i'll be in. sounds like a fun day

15. TOO

TOO Senior member

All right, due to my mismanagement, I let this suggested charter drift away until Son-One asked about it a few days ago.
    We booked the Kingfisher with Captain Tony out of DSH on July 23rd, 2008. That is a Wednesday, and as much as I hate to possibly jinx the trip, we've done very well on tuna a week or so after the shrimp season opens on July 15th. So the 23rd is 8 days after the opening and hopefully we'll find some tuna out there.
    I'll be back in Port Aransas in a week or so, and if I can I'll corner Captain Tony and discuss the charter idea with him.
    Captain Ton was a deckhand for a number of years, and is now Captain of the Kingfisher and this is a great way for him to gain a reputation on the hunt for tuna. We'll give him the chance to get it done.
    Deep drop for snapper and AJ's are fine until time to hit the shrimp boats, or vice versa.
    This charter is not limited to parent/child but there will be two or three 13 year olds, one that will rival the un-named sleeper king on sleeping between spots.;)
    Anyone that can have fun, not take themselves too serious, but fish seriously is welcome to join the charter. We'll be determined to find tuna and abuse a few (or a lot of) reef fish. We'll fish very hard, just have a few 13 year old that need to eat a few tuna hearts.
    Cost at 17 going will be about $145 a spot, and that does not include a fuel surcharge. We do know that the the fuel surcharge for a charter we have going out on June 7th has had an $8 per person charge and we were told that will most likely go up after the 12th of June.
    Expect around $150-$160 a person at 17 people with the fuel surcharge by July.
    Right now we have 7 committed to the charter as well as few that have expressed a solid interest:
    Earl (2 spots)
    Bazztex(3 spots)
    TOO (2 spots)
    Mentioned interest:
    fishead 56
    BretB
    jt2hunt
    Awesum
    surftime
    TOO buddy (2 spots)

If interested email me at [email protected] to be added to the list.
    Another trip getting out-fished by Son-One. :eek:

16. shanker

shanker Senior Member

Willie, I am going to see if my wife can get that day off work, if so, her and I will go on the trip.

17. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

is this TOny the same one that was on the GE when the TFF trips went out..?? the one who can cast 3 a converntional reel over 100 yards!?!

18. TOO

TOO Senior member

Cool beans, Shanker. Just let me know if it is doable for the two of you as soon as you can.
    Yep, same TOny, usually spelled "Tony". :D
    Got an email from Awesum, he's in for two, so updated list is:
    9 commits
    Earl (2 spots)
    Bazztex(3 spots)
    TOO (2 spots)
    Awesum (2 spots)
    Mentioned interest:
    fishead 56
    BretB
    jt2hunt
    Shanker (2 spots)
    surftime
    TOO buddy (2 spots)

If interested email me at [email protected] or call (210)215-3877

Willie

19. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

I'm still pretty sure I can't make it, but I'll sure as heck show up at the dock to see you all back in!

Tom - DeepBlueGulf