360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, thinking of putting jerry brown solid 65lb on a stella 20kfa spool. I noticed that braids such as daiwa boat braid claim to break at 80lb, so therefore if we compare that to 80lb jerry brown solid, the jb is actually a fair bit thicker.

Does that mean the jb 65 is the equavalent of daiwa pe6? ive also herd a few things about daiwa pe 6 breaking at below 80,

do you guys prefer a specific color? i was reading that the coloured line is a bit waxy and not as soft? does that mean white is a good option?

im thinking of fishing 10-15kg of drag on the jb 65lb will it be up to the task?
or am i only limited to 10-13kg before it breaks?
thanks

·
3,720 Posts
I remember "Pametfisher" talking about JB 60 breaking at around 120 lbs last sumer.He also mentioned that the boat braid broke a lot closer to the rating on the box than did a few others. I Use daiwa boat braid and didn't find it "waxy",but very soft (for braid)and supple,nice line. I don't know where the 100 I'm using breaks, but I bullied several large bluefins with it last summer without trouble.I also liked,while jigging, to have marked line. Knowing exactly where your jig is,is valuable.If I were in the position to make that decision, I would use the JB if the rig in question will be used for casting poppers or metal. For jigging I'd use a metered line.OTI's metered braid has gotten good reviews also.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the feedback, i think the jerry brown break at 60lb was for the hollowcore, im after the solid stuff, will be used for casting only, thanks

·
1,553 Posts
Pe 6 is 65lb braid! Don't let the line rating fool ya. Can't compare pe 6 with 80lb braid for thickness.

·
1,386 Posts
I remember "Pametfisher" talking about JB 60 breaking at around 120 lbs last sumer.He also mentioned that the boat braid broke a lot closer to the rating on the box than did a few others. I Use daiwa boat braid and didn't find it "waxy",but very soft (for braid)and supple,nice line. I don't know where the 100 I'm using breaks, but I bullied several large bluefins with it last summer without trouble.I also liked,while jigging, to have marked line. Knowing exactly where your jig is,is valuable.If I were in the position to make that decision, I would use the JB if the rig in question will be used for casting poppers or metal. For jigging I'd use a metered line.OTI's metered braid has gotten good reviews also.

Update of this after testing a dozen samples of JB 60# this year and several lengths of Daiwa Boat Braid.

The JB "60#" samples ran between 90 lbs. and 105 lbs.

The Daiwa 55# and 70# ran + or - 5%. It was not uncommon to have it break a few pounds below.

The strength of all pure Spectra line is most highly correlated to the amount of material used in building (weaving) the line. The rating put on the box should be a starting point for testing.

JB 60# hollow weave spectra casts great. As well as any other line of similar strength that I've tested.

·
1,386 Posts
anyone know how much 60# JB hollow you can get on a stella 8k FA?

Bret, I don't know but I can tell you that Basil has been getting 500 to 550 yards of 60# JB hollow-weave on Stella 20Ks, several came through my shop after he loaded them. I hope that helps you.

·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the response guys, any feedback on the jerry brown solid spectra? thats the one i was thinking of using, wasnt going to go with the hollowcore as i wasnt going to splice and the hollowcore is thicker than the solid.

·
1,553 Posts
jb is a reliable line. i still have some on a few reels. im not sure if the hollow is thicker than the solid

G

·
thanks for the response guys, any feedback on the jerry brown solid spectra? thats the one i was thinking of using, wasnt going to go with the hollowcore as i wasnt going to splice and the hollowcore is thicker than the solid.

used it quite a bunch.......no complaints.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts