360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope some of you might be able to help, especially those of you who may do a bit of surf fishing on the side.

A client of mine recently bought a BD 100 from me, which he matches to a Stella 10K and loves it for land based popping and chucking irons/metals etc.

He is a land based/surf fisho through and through, and has recently bought a Saragosa 6000/8000 ( not sure which ) and is looking for a rod to match it to, spooling up with 30lb briad, for casting light spoons, plugs, poppers and chisel noses etc..

The main thing being a land based fisherman, is that he is looking for length.
The OR BD 100 is 8'8", which is as short as he ever wants to go, as distance is a key element when casting to Garrick and Yellowtail Kings at home here in South Africa...

So he is looking at something in the 9'5" to 11' length..... that can throw up to 3 0z or so.....

But joint would be awesome, but regular two piece would be fine too.... he's not looking at super high end price, so under $350 would be great as we'd need to factor in shipping to South Africa...

Any ideas or suggestions, be stoked to hear them.

Thanks
Nepps

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Have you looked at your local stuff like the Blue Marlins, they are pretty well respected here in Oz for the same type of fishing

·
21 Posts
Have you looked at your local stuff like the Blue Marlins, they are pretty well respected here in Oz for the same type of fishing
What do they market them as down here (Oz) Saqa? I've never heard of them.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
They are just sold as blanks here. A number of successful HSS locals are running em but you know the cadge with LBG. I have one right here if you wanna have a peek

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Rohit

The guy who I'm helping has been doing this a long time, and has checked out alot of what is available locally... he has been fishing overheads on surf rods for years, and only recently, after a LBG trip to Quobba where he got his ass whupped using mono and SL30's and 13ft surfrods, did he take my advise and realise that a spinning rod and a Stella will far better suit his needs.
Granted the Blue Marlins, Assasins, AFAW's, Waft's etc, which make up the majority of our surf rods here in SA are awesome for big baits, and sliding heavy baits etc, but are pretty rudimentry when compared with the modern gear available internatkionally.... Blue Marlins and the like are great if you only casting every hour or so, but for regular all day spinning, they are a pain...

I think he also just wants something a little fancy! :)

Thanks mate... any other ideas from your massive knowledge of blanks? Seeing all those awesome sticks you build, there has to be something that comes to mind?

·
870 Posts
My favorite 3oz surf rod is the Breakaway Omega 10'6. This rod would run $225 I believe.

·
Randy Bassinga
1,407 Posts
Most of the ones you are refering to are the long 13'+ones but there is a 10' model as well. I cant locate the site for the aussie distributer atm and the blank I have here doesnt carry any markings so I dont know the exact model number. If you can locate a dealer with the 10' ones in stock there then do have a good look at them. There are a number of other optoins as well, I'll pm you the model numbers

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Try Shimano Tiralejo surf rod.
I got a 80 - 90 lbs bluefin with 9' Tiralejo rods as I needed light tip to cast small poppers like Yozuri Hydro Popper.
They are light and pretty strong, but prices are reasonable with Shimano after-service.

·
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Carpenter OMA 92 =)

Thats what first came to mind to me too Pete, but he's not so keen to spend a month's salary on a rod.... :cool: :D

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

Kil - we get the Tieralijo here in SA, and I will throw that in the mix. Thanks

Was defintely thinking of the ST.Croix's.... I love my Tidemaster St.Croix's, but have no experience with the surf rods at all, so appreciate your input guys thanks.

HWK - That Breakaway sounds pretty interesting too... thanks.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Thats what first came to mind to me too Pete, but he's not so keen to spend a month's salary on a rod.... :cool: :D

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

Kil - we get the Tieralijo here in SA, and I will throw that in the mix. Thanks

Was defintely thinking of the ST.Croix's.... I love my Tidemaster St.Croix's, but have no experience with the surf rods at all, so appreciate your input guys thanks.

HWK - That Breakaway sounds pretty interesting too... thanks.
Don't forget Lamiglas blanks/rods as surf rods.

·
310 Posts
nothing better than a lami gsb, you can get them in 9 ft 10 ft and 11 ft, dont even look at the st croix the lamis are far superior surf casting rods when using plugs

·
1,553 Posts
yo andre, what about Purglas? theyre made in S. africa. im sure the company is still around. some of the best surf rods on the planet. ive got gloomis, conoflex, breakaway, diawa, st croix avid, lamiglas and my purglas rods are the best!

the st croix premiere rods in that weight range break too easy. trust me.

pmd ya nep

·
1,140 Posts
KIDFLEX purglas has not brought out any new rods and their service is not the best any more , they taken a big knock with the assasins , tica , shimano , new blue marlin rods now on the market in south africa .

·
1,553 Posts
KIDFLEX purglas has not brought out any new rods and their service is not the best any more , they taken a big knock with the assasins , tica , shimano , new blue marlin rods now on the market in south africa .
they dont need any new rods, imo. theyre blanks were second to none! i got mine through TW's in NC so i havent had to deal with them personally. but the store itself offered to cover the lifetime warranty even though i had the blank modified. thats pretty good for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts