SOM NL 16000 Spool Issues?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Catch Five, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Catch Five

Catch Five Member

I already have this spool on my '08 8000SWPG, but looking to get a larger spool for my other 8000SWPG. I was ready to get another SOM 16000, but upon doing some research, I found others have had several issues with it over time, including clicker and drag problems. Here's the link I'm referring to...http://www.gtpopping...hp?topic=6310.0
    Has anyone else experienced these issues?? I'm now leaning towards either a JM Monster 16000 or stock 14K spare spool. Any opinions or comments on these?

2. pompeypat

pompeypat Senior Member

Hi..I have the SOM 16000. No problems with mine to report. You might want to check out Angry Angler's report on the Maxel Transformer spool...looks interesting.

Pat

3. Level3

Level3 Half Asian Sensation

I had a SOM 16000. I bought it from another forum member. When I received it the clicker was not working correctly. I had to take it apart and fix by bending the clicking wire more profoundly. Noticed it wasn't putting as much drag out as my stock spool and promptly sold it.

4. oilpatch

oilpatch Senior Member

I'd get 14k spool and be done with it. JM would be downgrade from the new Stella spools. And yes I have a JM.

5. ugly

ugly Senior Member

I don't doubt this. But, what about the jm spool is inferior? Thanks

6. oilpatch

oilpatch Senior Member

You can grab a JM by base and gently squeeze it bends very easily. Whether that affects performance I doubt. I get better distance with stock 8ksw spool due to lip design. And the 14k has duel drag if not mistaken.

7. ugly

ugly Senior Member

Thanks JC. Will keep that in mind!

8. Catch Five

Catch Five Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be looking into the Maxel spool as well as a stock 14K.

9. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

I've had a SOM 16000 on my Stella SW10K for over a year. I generally use 20 - 25 lbs of drag when fighting YFT and have boated over 25 YFT with it. Seems to work fine and I like having the additional 50- 60 yards of line.

I haven't maxed out the drag to test it yet as I can only tighten it with my hand to 30 lbs or so.

10. Popfly

Popfly Junior member

OP,

Will the new 14000 spool fit the 08 10k & 8K reels?

11. JMDOUG

JMDOUG Senior Member

Yes all SW and SWB Stella's are all interchangeable

12. Catch Five

Catch Five Member

Yes I was told the 14k spool will fit on the '08 as long as the additional spacers are used. Can anyone confirm this?

13. jpgrfan

jpgrfan Well-Known Member

Old thread. Yeah, I know . . .

So, I have a 08 Stella 10K and I have a 13 Stella 14000.
    I want to use the 14000 spool on the 08 Stella.
    Any one know what extra spacers are referred to in the last quote above?
    Are they just the line lay adjustment washers?

Thanks for any info!

:)

14. mandaragat

mandaragat Member

The metal washer that’s on the spool shaft. The 2013 has smaller than 2008. Compare both generations of yours.

15. jiggingnut

jiggingnut Junior member

Your reel has several washers on the spool shaft...1 metal and 2 or 3 carbon fiber. The metal one is the stopper. It stops the spool from sinking too far down the shaft and hitting the rotor. The carbon fibers are of different thickness and are the spacers used for adjusting line lay.

16. jpgrfan

jpgrfan Well-Known Member

OK, thank you both!
    If I understand correctly, then, the metal washer on the 08 stella 10k is to be removed with the 10K spool and the smaller metal washer from the 13 stella needs to move along with the spool to the 08 stella 10k. Then, line lay washers are used as usual/necessary to adjust the line lay.

Thanks again!

:)