360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been researching for quite some time now and I'm finally going all in on a Blue Heaven. I already have several Jigging Master reels and just recently purchased a Wiki VS2000 so I need to add more bling to my arsenal.

I've found a few on Ebay and other sites but I wanted to see if the reels are recent models or produced years ago. Not really an issue for me but I would like to know what I'm buying and feature differences between each version.

For instance I'm looking at a L30PW R-LB AE85. How's this different from other models? I saw the Z Japan model and it is pretty.

Help me spend my money.

·
Registered
737 Posts
My advice is to get two 400-500 reels, add a few custom parts, and not buy an SOM unless you can literally light that money on fire and not care.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im pretty set on a SOM reel. I have enough $500 reels that I barely use and besides I'm only able to go tuna fishing maybe half a dozen times a year now anyways so I don't think maintenance will be an issue. Besides, my tunas aren't even big compared to anywhere in the US, just 15-25lb albacores and I might get lucky with a few 30s in a season. But I am set on a 50 size now.

·
Retired Member
4,942 Posts
Not sure of your budget but there’s one for sale here on 360.

Benny

·
3,483 Posts
Really, the only reels for jigging worth spending this kind of money on are Shimano Ocea Jigger (in a star drag) and the Penn Torque LD2 in a lever drag.

SOM and Jigging Master are clearly inferior LD reels that eat up pinion bearings at any real drag setting.

Save your money.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Really, the only reels for jigging worth spending this kind of money on are Shimano Ocea Jigger (in a star drag) and the Penn Torque LD2 in a lever drag.

SOM and Jigging Master are clearly inferior LD reels that eat up pinion bearings at any real drag setting.

Save your money.
you want to buy a couple $1500 ocea jiggers?

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Maintenance is not the problem, the problem is finding parts for it. SOM is known for their horrible after sale service. I have 5 of the reel and I dont even use it anymore, just because I know it is impossible to get parts. And I thought it was hard to get Daiwa parts, SOM is on another level. It's a nice reel and you will look cool using it on the boat but save your headache and get a Ocea Jigger. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got the l80 and l30. For your application the 50 will be perfect. I disagree that the SOM is overpriced. You get what you pay for, smooth and powerful. I refuse to even touch my valiant anymore. Not even near the same category.
Also by the time you buy a 4 or $500 reel and add parts it will amount to the same as a standard model SOM which you can get for around $650.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
25lb albacores shouldnt break too many parts in a reel. Ive never touched an Ocea Jigger but my Trinidads collect dust after i bought my jigging master reels. Thanks for the feed back. I'll definitely have to do more homework now but this purchase isnt about buying the better bang for the buck, i have plenty of $500-700 reels and even a few a Stellas, just wanted something nicer. But reels breaking down without parts to fix would annoy the hell out of me.

·
Retired Member
4,942 Posts
If you haven’t tried the Ocea jiggers yet give them a chance. I know stock is low but, if you can get to a local shop and play with a Jigger I don’t think you’ll be disappointed,

Benny

1 - 13 of 13 Posts