360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I use to get solid rings from APS but now I don't know where to find them. I can't believe how difficult it is to find something like this that should be so common. Anyone have a source? I checked jignpop, saltywatertackle, and jdm tackle. Not interested in those flat Owner rings.

·
4,723 Posts
Well I use to get solid rings from APS but now I don't know where to find them. I can't believe how difficult it is to find something like this that should be so common. Anyone have a source? I checked jignpop, saltywatertackle, and jdm tackle. Not interested in those flat Owner rings.

Quickrig welded round solid rings, TackleDirect sells them:

Quick Rig Stainless Steel Welded Rings - TackleDirect

·
Site Sponsor
3,896 Posts
http://www.profishco.com/pdf/12.pdf

have a look at the ring & grommets on the lower left. You can always cut off the grommet.
Raza - can you shoot me the link when you have a sec, they are $8.99 for 25 pcs only one size "L" which is 9.55mm O.D. these are solid welded rings, made by the same factory that does our Ball Bearing swivels - which many guys will tell you are very strong

·
Site Sponsor
3,896 Posts
http://www.profishco.com/pdf/12.pdf

have a look at the ring & grommets on the lower left. You can always cut off the grommet.
I like those too! I make up short "emergency leaders" with them, #100 crimped over the grommet, 3 feet or less crimped to a ball bearing swivel, keep em in your pocket for a quick re tie

G

·
made by the same factory that does our Ball Bearing swivels - which many guys will tell you are very strong

Maybe Zack will post the pic of the hook i broke.

i had an 8/0 gami siwash on a cm220 attached to the leader with the swivel/split ring. long story short got caught on the bottom. finally popped it off. when i brought it up i was pretty surprised to see that the hook bent/broke and everything else held fine. pretty good test there.

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
I found some good rings from Sure Catch back in 2008. If you can still find them, the black chrome ones are round and Very Heavy. I think 700lb model was right for most larger jigs, don't have them in front of me though... But they're almost too heavy, makes adding split rings a chore. Their bare stainless ones are semi-flat. Not as bad as Owner, but not good. I still have a few left...

But now I use 5/64" long-link stainless steel chain like Fred showed me last summer. I couldn't find a local source, so I bought mine here:

STAINLESS STEEL LONG LINK CHAIN 304L (S6) 5/64" : eBay Motors (item 290389090468 end time Feb-06-10 11:39:35 PST)

If you find locally you'll save the shipping, or get some buds to go in with you and take advantage of their very reasonable flat-rate.

Yield is ~25 links per foot total. So after cutting you'll get ~12 un-cut links per foot.

Even if you only use the un-cut links that's ~$0.22/each if you get just get 10'. And will obviously get cheaper as you add more footage. And if you decide to braze the cut links back together... well you just cut the cost in half.

·
638 Posts
I like the elongated rings. You stay tied on one end without the ring rotating. the assist stays on the flat side and split ring on the other end. It seems like there are less, much less, times with the line getting in the split ring. The German mini bolt cutters make short work of cutting the links.

Fred

·
1,095 Posts
The German mini bolt cutters make short work of cutting the links.

Fred

I'm don't know that I'm familiar with the cutter you mention. You have a link for them? I'm curious. Tnx! .... butch

·
2,835 Posts
I'm don't know that I'm familiar with the cutter you mention. You have a link for them? I'm curious. Tnx! .... butch

This are the best, period. Small and cut like a champ. Take them with you on every single fishing trip.

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/hook-cutter-5445/

I still have about 400 of the aps solid rings. Oh, I will not sell them. They are just for me.

·
130 Posts
MikeF--I have used the Quick 3 for mono to wire for toothy fish. Have Quick 6-300# on some jigs. Have not seen/used the Burns. The Burns 7 may be over 300#. Check out F.I.S.H (Fishermans Ideal Supply House) on the cause way to Maderia Beach (780-7380). They have a ton of terminal /jigging tackle at a wholesale price. Gary--just up the road in New Port Richey.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts