Solid rings???

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Chumlord, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Chumlord

Chumlord Member

Where can I find the round cross section solid rings used on OTI jigs???

Lou

2. Chumlord

Chumlord Member

Those look OK and thanks for the response, but the ones in gman's intro to jigging thread really look as if they are completely round.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Those look OK and thanks for the response, but the ones in gman's intro to jigging thread really look as if they are completely round.

Those are completly round and will work well for you. I'm almost 100% sure Gman uses them too.

d-a

4. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

Quick Rig welded rings not sure if they are exactly the same but look right.

5. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=85&cat=Punched%2C+Solid+%26+Split+Rings

lou is this website run by a relative of yours?

they also have welded and solid stainless rings in bulk.

6. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Chumlord, if you want to use a swivel instead, these work good and are strong as hell, they are ball bearing swivels instead of standard barrel swivels:

Quick Rig Sea Buoy Pro Grade Rigging Swivels - TackleDirect

8. Jrzrider83

Jrzrider83 Senior Member

those quick rig sea buoy swivel ring combo look perfect.
    something i need to add to my "tackle to acquire" list

9. gman

gman Senior Member

Those are completly round and will work well for you. I'm almost 100% sure Gman uses them too.

d-a

correct all my rings are round and come from APS, I was just speaking to sami about them becuase they no longer carry any flat ones

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

APS Rings, or from another post... The ones I tried that I really like are #6 - 6mm ID, 10mm OD and 350lb rated:
    Solid Ring Assist Hook Jigging Pirk Fishing Jig 350lb - eBay (item 380021759157 end time Mar-22-09 01:35:20 PDT)

These are extremely heavy duty. The #8 550lb solid is nice size too and even thicker. I personally wouldn't see need for any larger than the #8 for jigging/popping, but they do have up to #11 900lbs if you like.
    hey jason, those rings look pretty flat also. are they similar to the owners?

11. gman

gman Senior Member

thats a bad shot they are round they only stock one brand

12. Jason4606

hey jason, those rings look pretty flat also. are they similar to the owners?

Hey Brian, what's up?

I got these when APS was out and didn't know any other options. Not perfectly round like a welded ring. But very close to round, thicker than Owner and price was right too... They're black chrome finished stainless. (Not sure why, maybe just to look cool, but still say stainless.;) )

These are the #8 and #6:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The #6 is ~1.9mm thick and ~2.1mm wide.
    [​IMG]

The #8 is ~2.4mm thick and ~2.5mm wide.
    [​IMG]

Later!
    Jason

13. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

when laying flat, it looks like the inner part has sharp edges. but when in upright position it appears to have rounded edge.

14. Jason4606

Think that might be shadow from where it's pressed. There is a very small line in the middle where the die meets when stamped. (some better than others, could have prob been polished out, but qc is't perfect) But nothing major, not really any edges to speak of.

15. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

thanks jason, i might give them a try. they look nice.

16. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

whats wrong with owner solid rings?

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

whats wrong with owner solid rings?

Nothing if you use less than @ 15Lbs of drag. Too much drag(pressure) will cause the flat side on the owners to cut the leader.

d-a

18. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Ive used the size 9 owners on tuna and AJs with 30lbs of drag without issue.

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Ive used the size 9 owners on tuna and AJs with 30lbs of drag without issue.

You've been lucky too, I've had two cut knots from them in the last year.

d-a