360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you prefer solid or hollow for casting poppers and stickbaits? I have 2 reels for popping, 1 with hollow and 1 with solid. I have wind-ons, but always end up tying. I can't really tell a difference in casting with either.

Is there a reason why one might be better than the other?

Thx

·
2,305 Posts
As with most things in life, for every advantage there may be a disadvantage as well, and braid line is no exception. The heavier HC braids tend to have more air resistance than the same class of solid braid which is thinner. The trade off with the thinner braid is that if you don't keep the rewinds tight, those loose coils will flow off causing wind knots and the potential for foul language.

·
146 Posts
there is the inevitable bust-off or abrasion on the braid that requires cutting out with the reduction in total braid capacity.
A full respool with premium solid is expensive and no one likes a knotted join halfway into a cast. I'd suggest hollow because of the seamless splicing of top shots with the added advantage of a seemless splice of the leader. Result is a knotless system that is well proven in big game applications.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey guys,

In my opinion for casting the best option is to go with a line that is lighter and lower diameter. It will increase the cast distance and will not absorb as much water as hollow core, hollow braid become much heavier in contact with water which also increases the lure resistance from the hollow braids friction and absorbing water. Yes splicing is nice and a seamless knot yet most big game casting is done with most of the leader out side of the rod max 1-2 ft are still in between guide so wouldn’t give to much thought between splice FG or PR.wind knots will happen with hollow or solid braid, I would prefer to be able to tie a new knot on the go then retiring the set up due to not being able to splice on the go. I have personally landed very big tuna (220lb) with 8x solid PE line 0.46mm with brake strength of 135lb. I don’t have a twisted leader or a splice, never lost a fish on line brake or leader failure.

Hope this helps

Daniel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts