Solid Core Braid to Mono Topshot connection?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by John_Madison CT, Nov 29, 2008.

1. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Guys,

I'm confused. I normally don't do this type of connection as I usually fish Hollow core with a loop to loop. My other rods utilize a swivel of sorts.

My newest Tuna jigging reel (Torque 300) will employ the Diawa PE marked braid and I want to add a 25' topshot of flourocarbon.

So, what connection do you recommend?? I need something to practice over the winter too. :(

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

alot of people use PR and midknots. you will need to practice these alot. i use a double line to a 15 turn albright, no problems.

3. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

alot of people use Page Ranking and midknots. you will need to practice these alot. i use a double line to a 15 turn albright, no problems.

The Albright is very strong but when I'm casting a lot I don't like the albright since the tag goes out first and hits the guides on the way, weakening the knots. I've had some breakoffs surfcasting heavy plugs--plug sailing into the distance :( . The other knots you mentioned seem to me better for casting.

Loop to loop with hollow core is excellent for casting if you make the loops small so they don't catch.

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

The Albright is very strong but when I'm casting a lot I don't like the albright since the tag goes out first and hits the guides on the way, weakening the knots. I've had some breakoffs surfcasting heavy plugs--plug sailing into the distance :( . The other knots you mentioned seem to me better for casting.

Loop to loop with hollow core is excellent for casting if you make the loops small so they don't catch.

The hollow core doesn't cast as well as solid core line. Not to mention the loop to loop will loose casting distance over a pr or mid knot.

For me distance is key for the fish I target.

d-a

5. pametfisher

The hollow core doesn't cast as well as solid core line. Not to mention the loop to loop will loose casting distance over a Page Ranking or mid knot.

For me distance is key for the fish I target.

d-a

I meant braided loop to braided loop with 1 or 2" loops. They're tiny and almost silent through the guides. No impact on casting distance.

6. ember

ember Guest

For a jigging,no casting, I go with a Bimini in the braid,and use one of Basils or Shimano pre made loop to loop leaders.

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I meant braided loop to braided loop with 1 or 2" loops. They're tiny and almost silent through the guides. No impact on casting distance.

The loops maybe small but the braid is doubled in making the loops this increasing friction and weight. I have tried it that way and keep going back to the pr/ midknot for distance.

d-a

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

For a jigging,no casting, I go with a Bimini in the braid,and use one of Basils or Shimano pre made loop to loop leaders.

That's good for jigging, but I tend to only use 1-3 meter leaders. I can tie a Page Ranking knot faster than I can undo a loop to loop and put another on.

I still use loop to loop for trolling and chunking.

d-a

9. ember

ember Guest

I can tie a Page Ranking not faster than I can undo a loop to loop and put another on.

d-a
    To tell you the truth....I have to get my wife to tie the Bimini at the kitchen table the night before......

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

To tell you the truth....I have to get my wife to tie the Bimini at the kitchen table the night before......

What do you do if you break off above the bimini twist?

d-a

11. ember

ember Guest

3 rods,two spare spools for one,one spare for another.If I broke off six fish in a row I would hang my head in shame and call it a day.

12. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

What do you do if you break off above the bimini twist?

d-a

You drag ain't set right....

Or your line is junk..

13. gmack

gmack Senior Member

May want to look at the Red Phillips knot. I've never had one break. Mr. Red tested it a lot and never had it break either. Also very very easy to tie.

Gary

14. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Some time back Mr. Bill posted up a very good diagram on how to tie an Alberto knot. I jig 99.9% of the time and have gone to this knot when tying solid braid to fluorocarbon topshots. I have never had one fail and they are not too bad going through the guides.

Do a search on the Alberto Knot.

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

You drag ain't set right....

Or your line is junk..

Or maybe the fish is taking 30 LBS of drag and rubs you off on rocks or coral. Had that happen several times in Nc plus with a short leader you don't have much of a shock load.

I only use Varivas, tuffline xp or Oti braid.

d-a

16. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Some time back Mr. Bill posted up a very good diagram on how to tie an Alberto knot. I jig 99.9% of the time and have gone to this knot when tying solid braid to fluorocarbon topshots. I have never had one fail and they are not too bad going through the guides.

Do a search on the Alberto Knot.

The alberto/ modified albright is a good knot for jigging.

d-a

17. d-a

d-a Senior Member

3 rods,two spare spools for one,one spare for another.If I broke off six fish in a row I would hang my head in shame and call it a day.

It can happen and I have seen it happen when targeting large AJ's

d-a

18. ember

ember Guest

It can happen and I have seen it happen when targeting large AJ's

d-a
    But then targeting large AJ's in the Stellwagen Bank area of the Gulf of Maine,where I pretty much exclusively fish,would make for a long,and rather boring,uneventful day. The long and the short of it is that there may be more than one correct answer to the original question.Tying knots to go fishing aint exactly rocket science.

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

But then targeting large AJ's in the Stellwagen Bank area of the Gulf of Maine,where I pretty much exclusively fish,would make for a long,and rather boring,uneventful day. The long and the short of it is that there may be more than one correct answer to the original question.Tying knots to go fishing aint exactly rocket science.
    there are no amberjack on stellwagen bank.

i have had a few albertos fail...mightve been a bad knot or several but it was enough to make me learn the P.R. knot.

whatever you feel comfortable with and can tie well will be a good knot for you.

20. pametfisher

there are no amberjack on stellwagen bank.

i have had a few albertos fail...mightve been a bad knot or several but it was enough to make me learn the P.R. knot.

whatever you feel comfortable with and can tie well will be a good knot for you.

At the risk of annoying everyone and although I agree with the sentiment, "dance with the one ye brung", not all knots are equally good when tying braid to leaders, even if you're more comfortable with a particular knot.

Line strength varies widely, that's well documented and you can always tie "whatever" and just use a higher test line. ... And I don't use the PR knot. However, I know it's one of the best. Something like 80-90% of actual-breaking-strength.

If you're interested in not-losing-a-good-fish, it's a knot to learn.