360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to spin gear beyond elementary freshwater stuff. Idea is to have two rods for surf fishing in Baja Sur, one for small metal jigs and poppers (sub 40g) and one for larger poppers/stickbaits/etc. and two for tuna casting up here in Socal, again light poppers on one and midsize lures on the other. So I bought an 8k HG SWB and a 14k XG SWC, along with a 10k spool with the plan to use the 8k and 10k spools in Baja and the 10k and 14k spools here in CA, loaded with 40lb, 60lb, and 100lb JBHC in order of increasing spool size. I'm now not sure I really want to go with HC at all, so I'm curious to hear all sorts of input as I don't have experience with spin gear to know what all the ins and outs are beyond the ease of casting wind ons and the looming issue of wind knots.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You’ll probably get better and more comprehensive opinions than mine, but I have two Stella 8K reels (2008 vintage) I’ve bought on this site. I think the 8K is a great size reel for casting lures, but I’ve opted for spool upgrades to add capacity (see below).

i don’t think I’d ever use them in the sand/surf. The risk/reward quotient is too high for me. Their ultimate value in my opinion is when you want 20-30#+ of smooth drag- I fear fishing in the sand could introduce ways to compromise that. I’d probably get a saltist or something like that for playing in the surf (i personally have a saltist 4500 for that pirpose

As for spooling, I’ve been very pleased with the aftermarket maxel 16000 spool, loaded with 300 yds 60# Jerry Brown hollow core. It has a breaking strength around 90#. I’d think this would cover you for fish up to the mid 100# class. This basically turns an 8K reel into having 14k capacity. You could put some thinner hollow core (40-50#) on the factory spool if you wanted more line capacity.

Congrats on the new reels and enjoy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya, especially since one is a JDM reel. That said I know some others who use theirs extensively there, hoping for the best. And considering some of the things we've seen down there, those are exactly what I want. Big cubera, roosters, 100+lb yellowfin 50y from the high tide line, dorado in less than an inch of water. 300y of 60 JBHC on the 10k spool is what I was thinking would be pretty good for that.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hear ya, especially since one is a JDM reel. That said I know some others who use theirs extensively there, hoping for the best. And considering some of the things we've seen down there, those are exactly what I want. Big cubera, roosters, 100+lb yellowfin 50y from the high tide line, dorado in less than an inch of water. 300y of 60 JBHC on the 10k spool is what I was thinking would be pretty good for that.
Sounds awesome- totally out of my realm of experience! That description of your shore based fishing made me think of this dude.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Those opportunities are pretty rare, but when they show up, you obviously want to be prepared. No regrets.

Anyone have any input on hollow vs solid for shore casting? Distance, wind knots, etc? Windons are prob more expensive than I'd use down there, probably just short tied fluoro leaders, don't need to avoid chafing off tuna finlets, etc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The hollowcore is only beneficial when it is spliced or finished with a loop. If you tie a short fluoro leader, you are not using the hollowcore to its full strength. The casting wind-ons are pretty expensive, and I have found the “Saltywater twisted leader”(YouTube it) to be the least expensive - yet best leader method.
The benefit of hollowcore is that: you can fit 300yds of essentially 90lb line on a 10/14000 reel. Compare that to 300yds of 100lb solid braid on an 18000 which is actually weaker due to knot loss %. As others have said, you will get 300+ yds of JB60 on a 14000 which I have seen take bluefin tuna up to 200+ lbs.
I have recently spooled up an 8k Stella with cortland 40lb hollow (+-70lb abs) 350yds for sub 100lb yellowfin tuna when using lighter leaders. This would be a great option for your lighter poppers/lures.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Totally, idea there was to use windons (or the twisty system, I have seen that before) for tuna and only tie when in Baja to make life easier/cheaper down there and with rods so long you can keep a knot out of the guides. I also make windons, so I'm not too concerned about price there, more just looking for the best system for myself.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, keep it coming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts