Socotra: Part I

Discussion in 'International reports' started by Pope, Jan 2, 2014.

1. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Pope ,you are not fishing just for fish ,fishing for life also,that's great.

2. Goughie

Goughie Junior member

That's a great report. :) I've travelled extensively in the Middle East and despite all the troubles, people as a whole are hugely accommodating and respectful.

3. AmrK87

AmrK87 Junior member

What a nice collection fo photos and words. Thank you for the read. Im surprised that you did the trip somewhat by yourself. Apart from engaging the charter company, did you plan anything else yourself?

4. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Thanks. Yes, I planned and traveled by myself. I did the same thing in Panama. I flew to Panama and drove around the country for 10 days. I fished as I went from place to place and hiked the jungle as I saw fit.
    I really enjoyed this trip. It's nice to be somewhere completely different from home, but I could have done without the strike. Although I had the opportunity to see Sana'a unexpectedly, I wish I could have seen more of Socotra and caught a weather window to fish areas I wanted.

5. ReelMe

ReelMe Super Member

I feel that a trip to Maine is going to be a BIG let down in comparison to your usual lol. Wow, what a crazy and exciting trip. Great write up. Wow.

6. pompeypat

pompeypat Senior Member

Absolutely brilliant...what an adventure! Thanks so much for sharing.

Pat

7. Osage

Osage Member

"Frankincense".....and some big whale backbone!!

8. Mark Harris

Mark Harris Junior member

Really enjoyed reading that Brandon.

Sorry the fishing did not work out as planned but that is the chance all of us take when organising a trip.

Your report is full of passion and understanding. All of us could learn from that.

Very well done.

9. Osage

Osage Member

10. Luongvu

Luongvu Senior Member

11. Osage

Osage Member

12. Osage

Osage Member

Pope.....I wonder if you could repost with those pictures....as they have expired now. Was such an epic trip...and one that I want to go on some day....

13. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Just need to pay the Photobucket extortion fee and all return from the dead. :)

14. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

I would love to visit this location as well
    and Yemen in general.

Unfortunately, based on what is transpiring
    in the world today, an optimistic view would
    be 10 years or so before it would be safe for travel by Americans.
    Realistically, might be much longer than that.

Besides the terrorism issues,
    Yemen, which already has many social problems
    from its infrastructure problems, is about to get even worse.
    They have a very serious water shortage problem that
    is not being solved or getting better. This is causing
    major problems in that country. Will only get worse.

I know there was a French company running trips
    to location, last I spoke to them was about 3 or 4 years ago.
    Who knows, they still might be operating.
    It was low key, using local boats.

While I am risk taker,
    this one, the risk reward ratio does not work for me
    at the current time.

Pope was lucky to make the trip when he did.
    Good move.

15. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I will see if I can resurrect the photos. Anyone use a different photo hosting site?

16. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

17. Pope

Pope Senior Member

You won’t believe this, but photobucket seems to have hijacked my photos and be holding them hostage. Every photo that I have linked to a site is locked and I am unable to save to my camera. Any idea how to change this without paying a fee. I can see the thumbnail, but if I open then to view to save, I get the stupid “dial” image.

18. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Wow! Haven’t been there in a while but last I was there was able to right click on my photos and save to my computer. Photobucket royally sucks now when for years it was great.

19. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  20. Lorenz89

Lorenz89 Active Member

I guess that there is no tourism right now. Maybe the last foreign sport fisher (with their italian guides) were there in spring 2015(?), when the conflict escalated.

I hope my pictures are safe on blogspot. If I put so much work and passion in writing trip reports and want to keep the memories, it's a pitty to see the pictures disappearing. Appart from my blog I have two external hard drives to save my pictures from time to time. Over the years discussion boards and communities e.g. might shut down or restrict access for guests, therefore it's good to have reports and pictures somewhere else, too.

ReelMe likes this.