360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts
Pope said:
I would also like to thank Mark (TS18997) for loaning me his MC Works Belt, Kevin (txseadog) for the extra back up spool and Basil for spooling my Stellas.
I almost didn't get my spools back in time for the trip due to the immense back up with UPS due to ice storm as well as Christmas Eve rush. Basil had them pull the package from ground shipping and overnight them to avoid the confusion of the bottleneck. Basil, thanks again. That was a great help.
Your welcome Brandon, the write up alone was worth it! Love that stand up pic of the GT release, at least my belt made it to Socotra! Don't know if I ever will.

Great report Pope and it was unfortunate I was not in Bahrain to meet you on the return leg of your journey. I agree with most that this is one of the best reports focusing not on catches but on the overall experience.

Great Pope, I understand very well what you have tried in the airport and in the old city of Sanaa.
I have been to Socotra in November and I visited Sanaa for a day.
Who accompanied me in the souk of Sanaa, he confirmed that few Westerners in the last two years have visited the city.
The conception of life is totally different and perhaps not conceivable, but
I found, however, also good people.
In Socotra as you have seen, people are different, I have to thank those who assisted me during my fishing trip.
I hope you can one day come back and have more time and luck on your journey.
ps:. sorry for my bad English.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #49 ·
lite-liner said:
Thanks for the specific herp shot!
I was hoping you'd find the time......
Glad you're home Brandon, with stories forever!
There's no way I wouldn't find the time. I herped every place I visited, even if only a few moments.

Discussion starter · #50 ·
gtprideone said:
Great Pope, I understand very well what you have tried in the airport and in the old city of Sanaa.
I have been to Socotra in November and I visited Sanaa for a day.
Who accompanied me in the souk of Sanaa, he confirmed that few Westerners in the last two years have visited the city.
The conception of life is totally different and perhaps not conceivable, but
I found, however, also good people.
In Socotra as you have seen, people are different, I have to thank those who assisted me during my fishing trip.
I hope you can one day come back and have more time and luck on your journey.
ps:. sorry for my bad English.

Thanks. The people were by and large very decent. I will certainly go back in the near future to settle unfinished business.
I also recognize your photo. You were just inside the main gate to the old city.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
atifawan said:
Great report Pope and it was unfortunate I was not in Bahrain to meet you on the return leg of your journey. I agree with most that this is one of the best reports focusing not on catches but on the overall experience.
Thanks. We will hook up next time. I assume you speak Urdu, but hopefully you speak Arabic as well. It would be nice to have a partner who can speak the language.

Hey Pope,

Thanks for the report....man you must have a lot of patience; I would have lost it right from the get go!

I recon that it is definitely better to fly via Sharjah; did you get to go down Ditwah lagoon at all?

Discussion starter · #54 ·
blaasoppie said:
Hey Pope,

Thanks for the report....man you must have a lot of patience; I would have lost it right from the get go!

I recon that it is definitely better to fly via Sharjah; did you get to go down Ditwah lagoon at all?
I will fly through Sharjah next time, but I would have likely found the strike affecting Mukalla as well. The strike was nation wide. I didn't make it to Ditwah lagoon.. So much unfinished business!

Discussion starter · #55 ·
oilpatch said:
I enjoyed that write up more any I've read. Now tell us more about the Egyptian gf:)
The girl was someone who mistook me for a Turkish soap opera actor. People kept asking me if I was him on the street, but she spoke English and was able to explain who he was. She lived in Bahrain and wanted to hang out. I explained I was taken, complete with a family. She settled for a photo.

Discussion starter · #56 ·
TS18997 said:
Your welcome Brandon, the write up alone was worth it! Love that stand up pic of the GT release, at least my belt made it to Socotra! Don't know if I ever will.
Nothing to it, but doing it. Let's get together and I can return the belt. Thanks again.

Discussion starter · #57 ·
mtamim said:
dude, you rock. i know it wasn't ideal, but you made the best of it and saw a part of the world that most of us will never see. excellent write-up!
Thanks. I keep a journal of all of my trips. I hope one day great grandchildren will read about my jaunts and thoughts. Maybe they will care.

Brandon, What an awesome report from start to finish. Its not always about the fishing, but the experience of foreign lands, people and their way of life. You did a good job telling the tale. Hope you get to go back and see and do it all! Thanks for sharing that with us all.

Pope said:
Thanks. We will hook up next time. I assume you speak Urdu, but hopefully you speak Arabic as well. It would be nice to have a partner who can speak the language.
Yes I speak Urdu and English but unfortunately not arabic. I am sure we can get a friend of mine to tag along; arabic is his native language.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.