360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
5,078 Posts
So no, I'm not familiar with ribeye cap steak, but I've been reading and making myself familiar with it. My Costco certainly doesn't offer that in the bin. Maybe I have to ask.
Ribeye Cap steak is the Spinalis Dorsi muscle only, it is removed from the Longissumus Dorsi,
which is known as the "eye" or "eye rib".
Best tasting part of the Ribeye is the Spinalis Dorsi. Next time you cook one,
take a piece from each, and compare side by side.
You should notice a difference in taste.
When shopping for Ribeye, besides the marbling to look for.
Compare the size of the Spinalis Dorsi on the steaks,
you want the ones with the largest SD.
They will vary in size, based on where they were taken from the rack.
Some Costco carry the A5 Wagyu, about the same price as mudbug meat,
probably a better choice for the same dollars.

PS> while many use butter to finish a steak to add additional fat/flavor,
well, it kind of tastes like butter when you eat it.
The places that specialize in steak and are high end,
usually use GOOSE FAT instead of butter.
Goose fat has a MEATY taste, compliments the steak better.
Apply about 30 seconds before removing from the heat source.

PPS> Here is another recipe to use the Yuzu lemons in.
If you sub with limes, add a little bit of orange juice to it, about 10%.
If you can find KEY LIMES, the small round ones, they are better,
more lime taste than acidity. The common lime, is a Persian lime,
which is more acidic relative to its lime flavor.

·
5,078 Posts

·
6,097 Posts
When I won at Sneaky Pete's I wasn't miles ahead of the competition.
You mean Sneaky Pete's on lake Lewisville? I went there all the time, saw those contests, but never participated.
Fun, fun place! Used to drive the boat over for lunch with the wife. Great place to stop for refreshments
after a long day of Hybrid catching!

·
5,078 Posts
As you have done many times before, I'm down a rabbit hole. Not bad for a boy born in Flushing.
You got me on height, I'm only 6 even, but I have 10 lbs on you, probably not a bragging point.
As for live cockroaches, well it's a competition I will leave to the pros.
Think of it as a black hole of knowledge, lol.

You mentioned you were a Mets fan in the other thread,
I didn't have a chance to respond to that, but was going
to ask how that happens to a "Texan".
Flushing, lol, I was born in a hospital in Manhatten, but
spent my first 3 years living in Flushing, we then moved
to Manhattan, where at age 3 1/2 my dad took me fishing
in Central Park, caught a bunch of sunnies/crappies,
brought them back and kept them alive for a week in the bathtub.
That ruined me for life, lol.

Working on dropping 20-25 lbs this year,
next winter have 4 months planned for fishing in the tropics,
need to get into fighting shape for that.

Those Madagascar cockroaches are really nasty.
I once owned a mud crab capture and export business in the country,
until political instability and the government being overthrown had us
fleeing the country for our lives. Those cockroaches would get into
everything and every structure in large numbers.

worth more than beef per pound

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You mean Sneaky Pete's on lake Lewisville? I went there all the time, saw those contests, but never participated.
Fun, fun place! Used to drive the boat over for lunch with the wife. Great place to stop for refreshments
after a long day of Hybrid catching!
Yup, that's the Sneaky Pete's! What a great place to have a cold beer on a hot summer day! Used to love that place. Since having kids I don't get out to the lake nearly as often, funny how that works. Lots of fun was had there!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
HJ,

Somehow through my random blundering through youtube I recently discovered Chef Wang Gang and saw a video where he used that method of deveining shrimp. I just gave it a try on some frozen gulf shrimp I used for stir fry last night and it definitely doesn't work well on them. Not sure if they were too small or if freezing and then thawing made them too delicate but the vein wouldn't slide out when I tired it. I'll give it a shot when I get fresh shrimp in May.

The end cap steak sounds fantastic and goose fat for finishing a steak is another new one on me. I would certainly give that a try. Both are added to my list of things to try when I find the opportunity.

I have been a Mets fan since seeing my first MLB game at Shea Stadium years and years ago. There are not a ton of Mets fans down here where I live but when the Mets played the Rangers for a pre-season game I learned there are far more than I ever thought. I grew up part time in Whitestone NY and the rest of the time in Rocky Hill NJ where we moved when I was around 3. Some time around 11 we moved to Texas. My grandmother liked to have me up with her as often as possible so she could try and beat some culture into me so there was a lot of back and forth over the years. Haven't been back much since I was 18 other than for weddings, funerals, and a recent trip up to see some games at Citi Field. When life returns to somewhat normal I plan to make another visit since we are theoretically a good team this year. I also really want to enjoy the food scene there again.

I haven't fished Central Park but I've been there plenty and watched others fishing. If I'd tried to keep sunfish alive in the bathtub I may have never reached adulthood. I think that would have caused my mother to snap! I got started fishing the canal in Rocky Hill for sunfish and that somehow turned into this obsession.

4 months in the tropics sounds like a dream. Perhaps someday down the road, for now I will settle for 2 or 3 tuna trips this year. That would be strong motivation to get into fighting shape. Quarantine has helped me shed about 25 so far, some extra effort could probably go further towards making my doctor happy.

I'm not even sure how someone finds themselves in the mud crab export business, but it sounds like an adventure, minus the roaches of course. The video of the guy farming them sort of made my skin crawl and I'm not squeamish about much. I know people all over the world eat insects but roaches may be a bit much for me. I'll start out slow and try crickets or something along those lines if the opportunity presents itself.

·
5,078 Posts
HJ,

Somehow through my random blundering through youtube I recently discovered Chef Wang Gang and saw a video where he used that method of deveining shrimp. I just gave it a try on some frozen gulf shrimp I used for stir fry last night and it definitely doesn't work well on them. Not sure if they were too small or if freezing and then thawing made them too delicate but the vein wouldn't slide out when I tired it. I'll give it a shot when I get fresh shrimp in May.

The end cap steak sounds fantastic and goose fat for finishing a steak is another new one on me. I would certainly give that a try. Both are added to my list of things to try when I find the opportunity.

I have been a Mets fan since seeing my first MLB game at Shea Stadium years and years ago. There are not a ton of Mets fans down here where I live but when the Mets played the Rangers for a pre-season game I learned there are far more than I ever thought. I grew up part time in Whitestone NY and the rest of the time in Rocky Hill NJ where we moved when I was around 3. Some time around 11 we moved to Texas. My grandmother liked to have me up with her as often as possible so she could try and beat some culture into me so there was a lot of back and forth over the years. Haven't been back much since I was 18 other than for weddings, funerals, and a recent trip up to see some games at Citi Field. When life returns to somewhat normal I plan to make another visit since we are theoretically a good team this year. I also really want to enjoy the food scene there again.

I haven't fished Central Park but I've been there plenty and watched others fishing. If I'd tried to keep sunfish alive in the bathtub I may have never reached adulthood. I think that would have caused my mother to snap! I got started fishing the canal in Rocky Hill for sunfish and that somehow turned into this obsession.

4 months in the tropics sounds like a dream. Perhaps someday down the road, for now I will settle for 2 or 3 tuna trips this year. That would be strong motivation to get into fighting shape. Quarantine has helped me shed about 25 so far, some extra effort could probably go further towards making my doctor happy.

I'm not even sure how someone finds themselves in the mud crab export business, but it sounds like an adventure, minus the roaches of course. The video of the guy farming them sort of made my skin crawl and I'm not squeamish about much. I know people all over the world eat insects but roaches may be a bit much for me. I'll start out slow and try crickets or something along those lines if the opportunity presents itself.
Queens/Flushing has some of the best Asian and SE Asian restaurants now.

Chef Wang has a good channel, he has excellent technique.
Another good one for "home cooking" is Chinese Food Demystified.

I usually fish 8-10 weeks over the winter in the tropics,
another couple of weeks travel with the wife.
In 2020, my fishing trip was cut short by covid,
was in the tropics when it broke out,
returned to NY on March 3, the airports were a ghost town.
Been fishing the same location past 5 years with my own boat.
Before we left this past trip, packed the boat up for transport instead
of local storage, as I knew there would be no fishing in late 2020 or 2121.
Ended up selling the boat in May 2020,
and ordered a new boat which should be completed in July/Aug 2021.

Will be fishing a new location/country this year,
moving closer to DenisB part of the world.
Friend of mine is owns a mining concession in this country,
in a remote area, that has the infrastructure in place,
camp, electric, dock, helicopters, fuel, supplies, etc
that we can use as our home base to depart for single
or multi day trips from there, to very remote islands.
There is really no sport fishing operations in this country,
also difficult for tourist travel as well,
and it also has some unique freshwater fisheries that can
easily be accessed with the helicopters.
So I will explore this location for 4 months of fishing,
and see if it will be my new location for a few years,
or it will be a one year event,
and will go back to my usual spot the following year.
Once the new boat is finished, get it debugged and rigged up,
it will be put in a cradle and shipped overseas to the nearest port
to the location, then run it the rest of the way myself.

Madagascar was the result of a partner with the right political connections
to make it happen, a local value of about a nickel a pound for a crab that
was worth $12- $50 pound wholesale (Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore) depending on size,
Only had to cut a trail 80 miles through jungle and other obsticals,
cut a 6 mile canal through mangroves, employ about 1200 locals who lived
in the jungle and didn't understand the concept of a job.
Transport crabs 80 miles overland by foot, condition for a few days in a facility,
then pack and transport over 300 miles of terrible roads to international airport.
Other than that, a piece of cake.
We were exporting 10,000 pounds per week, and had expanded the operation
to handle 25,000 pounds per week when there was a political overthrow of the
government. We were at the airport trying to get out when the rebels stormed
the airport, we escaped to a nearby port, stole a boat and ran offshore.
Eventually rescued by the US Navy, thanks guys!!!

Other than this minor issue, it was a very cool country to operate in,
fascinating wildlife and flora, and some great fishing.
Saw some of the largest bluefish as mounted fish in a few places,
blues over 30 pounds, they were caught in the Indian Ocean off the east coast.

·
5,078 Posts
Scylla Serrata - Mud Crab - Mangrove Crab

400-500 gram is standard size for market.
Over 1kg is premium pricing, they grow up to 3+kg in the wild.
Today they are being "farmed" mariculture, when I was doing it,
the farming was not yet commercialized, still in research.
At the time, we were the first and only company exporting live
crab from Madagascar. Today the business is dominated by the Chinese.

They have a similar texture and taste profile as blueclaw crabs,
sweeter and stronger crab taste, larger sections of meat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Wow! That sounds like more adventure than I want! Unreal! If you could have gotten that filmed reality show style you could be kicking Deadliest Catch's rear end in the ratings. I know which show I'd rather watch. Given the danger and the profit margins it almost sounds like it would be safer and more civilized to run narcotics out of South America. Probably less roaches involved too. Glad you got out with your skin still in one piece!

Those mud crabs look like they provide far more meat for the effort of breaking them down. Not sure I'll ever see one here though. I plowed my way through many a blue crab while working in Maryland for a couple years. It would have been nice to have crabs that size on the table. Not sure I'd like to see the bill afterward with that wholesale price though.

Chinese Food Demystified is a great channel. I'm enjoying the content, thanks again!

·
5,078 Posts
Wow! That sounds like more adventure than I want! Unreal! If you could have gotten that filmed reality show style you could be kicking Deadliest Catch's rear end in the ratings. I know which show I'd rather watch. Given the danger and the profit margins it almost sounds like it would be safer and more civilized to run narcotics out of South America. Probably less roaches involved too. Glad you got out with your skin still in one piece!

Those mud crabs look like they provide far more meat for the effort of breaking them down. Not sure I'll ever see one here though. I plowed my way through many a blue crab while working in Maryland for a couple years. It would have been nice to have crabs that size on the table. Not sure I'd like to see the bill afterward with that wholesale price though.

Chinese Food Demystified is a great channel. I'm enjoying the content, thanks again!
It was a cross between Deadliest Catch and Survivor with weapons.
Besides the weapons/tools the locals carried,
we supplied them all with heavy duty machettes to clear forest and mangroves.

There were issued/fights daily with so many different groups
being in the same area.
Several times a week, machete fights would break out,
sometimes just two people other times dozens or more.

When they were just a little pissed,
they would hit each other with the flat side of the machete,
which would be painful, cause welts, but no serious damage.
When they were more upset,
they would use the backside of the machete,
this would break the skin and bones at times.
When they were really mad,
they would use the machete as intended and body parts
would end up on the ground.

Mud crabs are imported to the US in limited amounts,
you can find them in cities with major Chinese populations.

Crabs are my favorite seafood from the ocean.
While I'm normally not patient, I am willing to invest the time
to polish off a bucket of blue crabs.
Mud crabs are fatter, more meat, less work.
They work well to chop up into pieces and stir fry,
easy to access large chunks of meat.
If ever in the tropics, you want to eat COCONUT Crab,
which is a land crab, giant hermit crab.

Another Japanese dish to consider, SHABU SHABU.
Probably have a restaurant in your area,
and easy to make at home, can use a regular pot to cook.
Mitsuwa will have the meat presliced for this, both fresh and frozen.
Can find chicken and sometimes pork prepared the same way.
Any asian market has the table top burner/stove for $20-30 for table cooking.
The dipping sauces, Ponzu and the sesame one are available premade.

Shabu Shabu

·
5,078 Posts
one more,
BAHN MI

Vietnamese Sandwich, plenty of shops in your area,
look up the better ones.
They usually offer 10-12 different type of meat/fillings.
The BREAD is very important,
if they use regular sandwich bread, hard pass.

These are great sandwiches when made well,
bursting with flavor,
and just right in the warmer weather.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Machete fights would immediately put you into pay per view territory. Works well UFC/cage fighting stuff. That's not my bag, but I'd pay to watch a Machete fight at least once!

I've seen crabs cut up and cooked in spicy sauces on various YouTube videos and it looks fantastic. Haven't had the chance to enjoy it myself. Crab is also one of my absolute favorite foods. In general I love everything seafood. Every species and every cooking style, it doesn't matter to me. That said crab is tops with me, even over lobster unless the crab is cooked poorly. I even love to eat bluefish, bonita, blue runner, and I've had Vietnamese cooked ribbon fish and loved it too. I have a feeling my love of everything from the water is why I'm obsessed with fishing. We all have our hangups.

Shabu shabu is amazing. Huge fan. A good friend of mine did a 6 month stint in Japan for work and came back telling me we had to find a place that did it. We found one and hit it. What a great night! We also did it about 10 times in the next 2 months.

We have an incredible bahn mi place just down the street from me. Mr. Bahn Mi is awesome. I would ask to buy the rolls they use just for ham sandwiches at home but there is a language barrier. Their bahn mi sandwiches are the best I've had Texas and probably stand on equal footing with any I've tried. Our Asian shopping area that has developed here in Frisco has been a Godsend for me. I still want to know where they get, or how they make their bread. Out of all the food done right here in Texas bread is not one of them. Good bread is very difficult to find.

·
5,078 Posts
Machete fights would immediately put you into pay per view territory. Works well UFC/cage fighting stuff. That's not my bag, but I'd pay to watch a Machete fight at least once!

I've seen crabs cut up and cooked in spicy sauces on various YouTube videos and it looks fantastic. Haven't had the chance to enjoy it myself. Crab is also one of my absolute favorite foods. In general I love everything seafood. Every species and every cooking style, it doesn't matter to me. That said crab is tops with me, even over lobster unless the crab is cooked poorly. I even love to eat bluefish, bonita, blue runner, and I've had Vietnamese cooked ribbon fish and loved it too. I have a feeling my love of everything from the water is why I'm obsessed with fishing. We all have our hangups.

Shabu shabu is amazing. Huge fan. A good friend of mine did a 6 month stint in Japan for work and came back telling me we had to find a place that did it. We found one and hit it. What a great night! We also did it about 10 times in the next 2 months.

We have an incredible bahn mi place just down the street from me. Mr. Bahn Mi is awesome. I would ask to buy the rolls they use just for ham sandwiches at home but there is a language barrier. Their bahn mi sandwiches are the best I've had Texas and probably stand on equal footing with any I've tried. Our Asian shopping area that has developed here in Frisco has been a Godsend for me. I still want to know where they get, or how they make their bread. Out of all the food done right here in Texas bread is not one of them. Good bread is very difficult to find.
The machete fights were only part of the fun,
unhappy locals would attack the porters and injure them,
burn down bridges we built over streams, cut down trees to block the trail,
and much more, oh the fun, lol.

This was in the western southern part of Madagascar,
where Moraingy, a local "martial art" was developed centuries ago,
and almost every one of the local town folk, thought they were kungfu fighters, lol.
EVERY day, for relaxation, this would go on, multiple times.

Shabu Shabu is a delicious way to eat beef.
Some place also do it with chicken or fish.

A decent Asian restaurant that specializes in seafood will probably
have Dungeness crabs available, those are usually chopped up.
Lobster is so so to me, prefer the spiny lobster (actually shrimp) to
the ones in my area.

You should check out YAKITORI if you have a good one in the area.
You will gain a new appreciation for chicken and its different flavors,
once it is butchered differently and cooked over the Japanese charcoal, called Binchotan.
This is super popular in Japan.

Another to consider would be KUSHIYAKI
which is Japanese BBQ on skewers, cooked over Binchotan charcoal.

Staying with the same skewer theme, there is also KUSHIAGE

Good bread is hard to find in most parts of America,
with the sandwich/hero being so popular one would think the opposite.
Crap food culture reigns supreme in this country.
Fortunately, we have many options for good bread in NYC.

You can try printing this out below and bring to your Banh Mi shop,
it says you want buy bread only, no meat or veggies.

Tôi chỉ muốn mua bánh mì, không có thịt hoặc rau

One or more of the local Vietnamese Bakeries is producing the bread
for many of the shops, do a search, might find your bread this way.
I was in DFW area 5 years or so ago, and ended up at a Banh Mi shop in Garland.
They were a bakery and sold bread, and sandwiches, which were good.
Looks like they are still in biz
Quoc Bao Bakery
3419 W Walnut St. Garland

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well if you went to Garland for Asian food in DFW you went to the best place for it. Garland has most of the best Asian joints here. They have a strong population of most Asian countries and the food is fantastic. When I worked down that way I frequented a number of places though a bahn mi joint wasn't one of them. There were a number of pho shops I loved which also did bahn mi but I really love pho and when in Rome... or Ho Chi Minh City as the case may be...

I would shop and eat more in that area but logistically its tough. Traffic is not fun in DFW. Doesn't compare to the Van Wyck at 5 pm but its bad.. Not to mention Garland has an earned reputation here. Its a lot like finding yourself waiting for the 7 train in Jamaica NY at 9 pm back in 1980. Most of it is just fine, but most bad things in DFW seem to happen within certain parts of Garland.

I would love to try the various Japanese preparations you listed but here most Japanese restaurants are sushi-centric. Most of the cooked preparations are done as an afterthought to serve the patrons who don't enjoy sushi. I probably haven't explored enough because I'm sure DFW has some places to offer, but as of yet I haven't encountered a place that can do tataki properly. Here it is basically seared tuna done on a griddle.

I will print out your translation and give it a shot. I really love their bread. I miss that about NY. I grew up thinking fantastic bread was something you went to the corner and bought. Then I got to Texas and found out BBQ wasn't crappy dry meat covered in sauce but I also learned bread was not a thing. Life is full of trade offs, I apparently want it all.

You aren't kidlding about crap food culture ruining the world. I have found things I love about every region in the country I've visited,, but it never comes from national chain restaurants. Its always the local/individually owned places. There is good food everywhere here, it just never comes from a chain.

I can't fathom dealing with machete fights and everything else. I feel like I'd pay to see it at least once, but dealing with that as a part of a business I'm running is another thing all together.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts