360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's that magical time here in the south when many of us gravitate towards a table full of those tasty spicy swamp delicacies that many of us love. Unfortunately thanks to recent weather events it seems that they are harder to come by and the prices are making me wonder if someone has confused them for baby lobsters. Tonight I stopped by my normal joint and they wanted 10.99 a lb! I'm a sucker so I got some. Quality was really mixed, definitely not worth the premium. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm just wondering if we have any industry insiders who could say whether we just need to wait a bit or if this freeze is going to give us a rough year. We always throw a boil for the final round of the Masters and I'm getting worried about availability. I'm also wondering how long it will be before I can have some cold beer and a 5 lb platter for lunch!

Anyone else ready to get their mudbug fix?

·
6,094 Posts
Typically, we're gearing up for Oysterfest here, but it got cancelled for the 2nd year in a row, so the city brought in a bunch of carnival chit in and are calling it the crawfish festival.:rolleyes:.
I do like the taste of crawfish but they're like the sunflower seed of the meat world. too much work!
On the other hand, the fish kill is expected to draw a banner year for the blue crabs and stones, and the oysters this year
are sweeter than ever!

·
5,075 Posts
I like the mudbugs.
But,
with a 15% meat yield
10.99 x 7 = 76.93 per pound of meat.
At that price, spending my dollars on something else.

According to commercial seafood reports/pricing I subscribe too,
the cold weather has caused a decline in the harvest.
Less are moving around due to the cold, so less will end up in traps.
Cold weather also slows down their food consumption, so they are not
as meaty, and also more prone to death after harvest in these conditions.

PS> in 20-25 years, going from zero, China has become the #1 producer of crawfish.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that is a pretty dismal outlook for our boil. May have to pivot to a shrimp boil. I really didn't need that price break down. For 70+ dollars a lb I should be buying something much higher end. Maybe going to Mitsuwa and buying some sashimi.

·
5,075 Posts
Well that is a pretty dismal outlook for our boil. May have to pivot to a shrimp boil. I really didn't need that price break down. For 70+ dollars a lb I should be buying something much higher end. Maybe going to Mitsuwa and buying some sashimi.
Turn the main, mudbugs into the appetizer,
need 1 -1.25 lb per person,
and follow up with some Ribeye.
Pond and Turf
Still get the tradition and taste,
fill up on the steak.

Mitsuwa posts their weekly circulars online,
you can check out fish prices and specials.
Aside from the prime tuna cuts, most fish is in the $20-30lb range,
ready to slice into sushi or sashimi.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lite-liner,

I can't believe I didn't know about oysterfest. I love Port A. It's my favorite town in Texas and I had no idea where Fulton was until I looked up oysterfest. I guess by that point of my drive I'm like a barn sour horse who is only focused on my destination.

Eating crawfish is no work at all if you do it the right way. The problem is doing it right involves ignoring the poop vein. To do it the way the Cajuns do it grasp the front half in your left hand, grab the tail with your right. A slight push inward of the tail towards the front like you are trying to compress the thing. Then a quarter twist of the tail while breaking outward. If you do it right you come away with a tail attached to 2 fingers of meat that slide out of the carapace and the bonus will be a lump of orange fat hanging on those two fingers if you are lucky. Then you stick the two fingers and hopefully fat into your front teeth and grip. Pinch the heck out of the base of the tail and pull. If cooked right the whole thing slides right out, you chew it up, and if it's your thing then suck the head for the rest of the good stuff.

One of my most useless skills in life is winning crawfish eating contests. Its ridiculous and doesn't advance my life in any way other than winning me a few cases of Abita here and there as well as winning me a few $50 bets and quite frankly a lot of free crawfish. To date my claim to fame is an 8 lb platter in under 20 minutes, empty shells verified.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently I agreed to something when I checked out their website. I'm already getting their mailer direct to my inbox and I have set it to not get classified as spam.

Not sure I like my guests enough to provide prime rib for everyone, but I make an absolute killer prime rib. My main concern post freeze is the overall quality of the mud bugs. If I'm losing 30% before I boil I'm not happy. I like them hearty and meaty. Perhaps I will do brisket and shrimp instead. I'll save the prime for a family occasion.

·
5,075 Posts
One of my most useless skills in life is winning crawfish eating contests. Its ridiculous and doesn't advance my life in any way other than winning me a few cases of Abita here and there as well as winning me a few $50 bets and quite frankly a lot of free crawfish. To date my claim to fame is an 8 lb platter in under 20 minutes, empty shells verified.
Might have found your calling in life ;)

World Champion barely finished 2 pounds in 10 minutes.
You would destroy the competition.

·
5,075 Posts

·
5,075 Posts
Not sure I like my guests enough to provide prime rib for everyone, but I make an absolute killer prime rib. My main concern post freeze is the overall quality of the mud bugs. If I'm losing 30% before I boil I'm not happy. I like them hearty and meaty. Perhaps I will do brisket and shrimp instead. I'll save the prime for a family occasion.
Pound of ribeye at costco is basically the same price as a pound of mudbugs, lol.

Familiar with Ribeye Cap Steak?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll need to watch the video, that sounds ridiculously long to me. When I won at Sneaky Pete's I wasn't miles ahead of the competition. Out of 20 something folks I was within a minute of 4 others. When we go to our place down the street I usually clear 4 lbs in 30 minutes without eating like a savage.

·
5,075 Posts
Well, looks like the real champion of the mudbugs,
was able to polish off 6.5 pounds in 10 minutes in a previous competition.
Of course, and not surprising, the champion is a
100 pound Asian woman,
Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas.
Unusual name and nick name for an Asian.

Being world champion crawfish eater seems to have its perks,
sponsorship and a Mastercard commercial.

·
5,075 Posts
Unless there is some rule against it,
picking up 2 mudbugs at a time,
popping the tail one after an another,
then retrieving two more,
would probably increase their efficiency by 15-20%.

If you notice, the black widow, is hunched over,
and by doing so, she has reduced the distance/time her
hands have to travel from plate to her mouth,
compared to all the other competitors,
making her more efficient at processing the crawfish.

I wonder if there are professional mudbug eating coaches ? lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, I can't beat the Black Widow. The first guy as you pointed out put a lot of distance between himself and the platter. He also seems to have trouble getting each tail out. He also pauses constantly because he gets the first section of shell and legs into his mouth. I guarantee you I could smoke him, as most of Louisiana could. The Black Widow may have just become my new superhero. She is amazing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may not be good enough to be a world champ, but if professional crawfish eating coach becomes a viable career I'm in!

·
5,075 Posts
LOL.
I've seen some Japanese sushi eating contests
that were for amount, not time based.
Incredible amounts of sushi, tiny and thin Japanese women
eat it all.
My wife is Japanese, 5' 4", 100 pounds and she often eats more food than I do
at 6' 4" 240 pounds. She basically never exercises either other than yoga.

Looks like the Black Widow was bested this past year 2020
by Miki Sudo

Any good with corn?
This seems pretty insane to accomplish.
" At the 2019 event, the great Gideon Oji ate 57 ears of Florida sweet corn in 12 minutes to claim the title. Darron Breeden would finish second with 43, while Nick Wehry came third with 35.5. At this year’s event, Carmen Cincotti’s world record of 61.75 ears in 12 minutes will be on the line. "

·
5,075 Posts
Worlds fastest crawfish eater, Johnny Robin
Johnny Robin eats 341 crawfish in 11:44

Chris Hendrix holds the world record for eating Crawfish.
He ate 331 crawfish in 12 minutes.

If you think you’re man (or woman) enough, enter the crawfish eating contest.
The record is held by Nick Stipelcovich of Metairie, LA,
who inhaled almost 56 pounds in one sitting
www.bbcrawfest.com

Sonya Thomas ate 36 dozen oysters(432) in 10 minutes for the world record.

The world eating competition for cow brains is held by
Takeru Kobayashi, 17.7 pounds in 15 minutes.

The record for eating live cockroaches is held by Ken Edwards of Derbyshire, England.
He ate 36 hissing Madagascar roaches in one minute.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As you have done many times before, I'm down a rabbit hole. Wow, Johnny Robin eats them exactly like I do assuming they are cooked right. If they don't slide out on the pinch then it's over.

Not sure I can cover the 56 lb record. I can clear 10 to 15 before I just switch to beer. I've never gone for a total weight record. Knowing that I will never try. Speed has always been my specialty and I rarely lose. Not bad for a boy born in Flushing.

You got me on height, I'm only 6 even, but I have 10 lbs on you, probably not a bragging point.

I have never looked up competitive crawfish eating on youtube. Now I wish there had been more cameras around in 2004! I wouldn't be world champ, but I'll take honorable mention.

56 lbs is amazing even at 15% yield. I've seen Kobayashi put down more hot dogs than I've eaten in my life in one sitting. I don't know how he does it. As for live cockroaches, well it's a competition I will leave to the pros.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So no, I'm not familiar with ribeye cap steak, but I've been reading and making myself familiar with it. My Costco certainly doesn't offer that in the bin. Maybe I have to ask.

The one thing Costco has given me recently is Equadorian farmed shrimp. HJ, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to the commercial seafood market. I have always avoided farmed shrimp because the Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Indonesian stuff all tastes like crap. I gave the Equadorian stuff a try and liked it. That got me reading and unless I'm reading propaganda, their farmed shrimp industry does it differently. Do you have the inside scoop or a professional opinion?

I know this has gotten way off topic, but I'm currently skewering up some of those shrimp for Asian grilled shrimp tomorrow afternoon and I thought I'd ask.

·
5,075 Posts
The one thing Costco has given me recently is Equadorian farmed shrimp. HJ, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to the commercial seafood market. I have always avoided farmed shrimp because the Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Indonesian stuff all tastes like crap. I gave the Equadorian stuff a try and liked it. That got me reading and unless I'm reading propaganda, their farmed shrimp industry does it differently. Do you have the inside scoop or a professional opinion?

I know this has gotten way off topic, but I'm currently skewering up some of those shrimp for Asian grilled shrimp tomorrow afternoon and I thought I'd ask.
Ecuador uses a less intensive farming method for shrimp, producing a higher quality product.
Second choice would be shrimp from Thailand.
Best farm shrimp come from Madagascar, Black Tiger, but you wont find
those in a grocery store, maybe a high end restaurant in the US.
Most of it ends up in France or Asia.

Do you know the easier way to devein shrimp?
Can be done shell on or off, on is easier,
so devein then remove shell if called for.

PS> The method for farming shrimp was developed in Galveston, Texas. Go Texas!
Due to environmental restrictions in the US, the technology was not used in the US,
and transferred overseas for commercial production. We developed it in the early 1960's
a little before worldwide demand exceeded the oceans production and environmental laws
made it difficult in the US.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts