360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaving for Los Suenos on Saturday for a week.
Chartering a boat is not an option as I fish alone and I don't enjoy trolling.
Does anyone know where to go for snook/rooster popping from shore or river mouth ? I can drive upto 6 hours oneway.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hope ya catch em up kil.

Jesse
Hesse, before you catch them, you got to find them first. :)

·
4,574 Posts
Kil, are you looking for specific spots from shore where you can cast to them? Cuz it sounds like you already know that the Snookies will be right infront of the river mouths during the outgoing to gobble up anything that drains out of them.

Roosters, look for rock formations and jumping baitfish right in the surf zone.

but I'm probably wasting your time writing this since you already know this stuff :p

Hope you have a great time! Los Suenos is one of the nicest resorts in Costa Rica (kind of like Crocodile Bay Lodge).

Just ask the captains and locals around the hotel where you can catch Robalo and Gallo from the shore ;) It's always good to be friendly with the locals!

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kil, are you looking for specific spots from shore where you can cast to them? Cuz it sounds like you already know that the Snookies will be right infront of the river mouths during the outgoing to gobble up anything that drains out of them.

Roosters, look for rock formations and jumping baitfish right in the surf zone.

but I'm probably wasting your time writing this since you already know this stuff :p

Hope you have a great time! Los Suenos is one of the nicest resorts in Costa Rica (kind of like Crocodile Bay Lodge).

Just ask the captains and locals around the hotel where you can catch Robalo and Gallo from the shore ;) It's always good to be friendly with the locals!
Brian,
I like to know where to fish. I know river mouth is good, but which river mouth ? :) I can ask local guys when I get there, but I have to be prepared.
I don't mind driving long distance if there are really good spots for snook or roosterfish.

·
2,835 Posts
I'm leaving in ten days for a eight day stay in Costa Rica. I have chartered a small Bertram with the sole purpose of catching Roosters and culbera's. I won't be in the Los Suenos area. I'm staying in Puerto Jimenez which is a twelve hour drive from Los Suenos.

The funny thing is the guy I chartered the boat from lives in your neck of the woods. New Jersey. He has a Capt from Florida running the boat. Tossing poppers is high priority for me. I was told that I will get sick of catching roosters. If the tuna are running just offshore of the Golfido Dulce mouth I will gladly toss poppers at them. In fact he wrote me the other day to tell me a few things to do in the area. Here is one of his things to do which won't please my wife as she will be sick of fishing. I'll probably end up fishing by myself at least one day.

His quote: "Since you are staying at La perla, I recommend walking out to the beach and make a left. If you go down about a 1/2 to one mile it is pretty good fishing there from the beach. I have seen some big roosters and jacks run just off the beach there. Many times we fish the other side from the boat with poppers or swimming plugs."

If you wish, PM me and I'll give you his phone number. He also fishes a bunch up east. He is very knowledgable about most of Costa Rica.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm leaving in ten days for a eight day stay in Costa Rica. I have chartered a small Bertram with the sole purpose of catching Roosters and culbera's. I won't be in the Los Suenos area. I'm staying in Puerto Jimenez which is a twelve hour drive from Los Suenos.

The funny thing is the guy I chartered the boat from lives in your neck of the woods. New Jersey. He has a Capt from Florida running the boat. Tossing poppers is high priority for me. I was told that I will get sick of catching roosters. If the tuna are running just offshore of the Golfido Dulce mouth I will gladly toss poppers at them. In fact he wrote me the other day to tell me a few things to do in the area. Here is one of his things to do which won't please my wife as she will be sick of fishing. I'll probably end up fishing by myself at least one day.

His quote: "Since you are staying at La perla, I recommend walking out to the beach and make a left. If you go down about a 1/2 to one mile it is pretty good fishing there from the beach. I have seen some big roosters and jacks run just off the beach there. Many times we fish the other side from the boat with poppers or swimming plugs."

If you wish, PM me and I'll give you his phone number. He also fishes a bunch up east. He is very knowledgable about most of Costa Rica.
Thanks MrBill, please give me his number by PM. He might help me where to go.

·
2,835 Posts
Thanks MrBill, please give me his number by PM. He might help me where to go.

PM sent. I had a panic attack all last week. For the past few months, I have been collecting all sorts of poppers and lures for Roosters. I looked for ten days tearing the house apart to find them. I know they are here somewhere, but I gave up and had to order some more today.

This was a very costly error on my part, as my wife knows when I can't find anything. She calls it the LD. All men have it. Looking Disability. It can be right in front of you but you just don't see it. Women are good at finding things. I made a horrible mistake to tell her I was looking for some specific fishing lures.:eek: She gave me this funny look. "You have thousands, and I can't tell them apart, good luck".

After two days of watching and sometimes helping me, she came up with the idea of fixing up one end the house for the purpose of giving me more space to organize my things. Today, the crew showed up tearing one side of house apart. She's rather pissed tonight, as over 18 feet of exterior walls are all air tonight. It's blowing cold air about 18 kts in the house right now. :eek:

·
1,086 Posts
Time for a nice fire to stay warm.

Did the Costa Rica lures maybe wind up as table decorations?..

any way you said it first..

The easiest way to find tackle lost around the house is to buy a replacement."

K2

·
2,835 Posts
I have no idea where they ended up. I spent over two months finding all of the different ones recommended to me. I bagged all of them in three separate one gallon zip lock bags which are no where to be found. I even bought five of those 6 foot tall chrome wire baker racks from Sam s's Club to help me separate things as I was looking. It did help, but I need a lot more.

Kil,
You might go to a bookstore in your area and look for a waterproof map of Costa Rica by National Geographic. It's the adventurer map by National Geographic. #3100. It measures about 28" x 36" when opened up. It's the best map of Costa Rica I have found. I got mine at "Borders" a month ago. It's very detailed on both sides with roads, rivers, etc.

·
474 Posts
She calls it the LD. All men have it. Looking Disability. It can be right in front of you but you just don't see it.

LOL! I go thru it everytime I get ready to fish. Im going thru all my bags and boxes looking for lures, sabikis, or piers. Drives me mad. What makes matters worst is when my girl points it out to me and laughs. So embrassing.

·
474 Posts
Kil and Mr. Bill, please let us know how well you guys did. Pictures please. :) Im trying to work my girl to spend our honeymoon in Costa Rica. I know it is a crappy thing to do but hey it is worth a try.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kil,
You might go to a bookstore in your area and look for a waterproof map of Costa Rica by National Geographic. It's the adventurer map by National Geographic. #3100. It measures about 28" x 36" when opened up. It's the best map of Costa Rica I have found. I got mine at "Borders" a month ago. It's very detailed on both sides with roads, rivers, etc.
Thanks, Mrbill. That will be a big help.
I am thinking about driving down to Quepos area as someone recommend a local snook expert for huge snook in the area. He takes fishermen in a panga to some river mouths for huge snook . It is only one hour drive from Los Suenos to Quepos.

·
2,835 Posts
Kil and Mr. Bill, please let us know how well you guys did. Pictures please. :) Im trying to work my girl to spend our honeymoon in Costa Rica. I know it is a crappy thing to do but hey it is worth a try.

I would think she would be thrilled. I took my wife to Key West on our honeymoon. Of course, we did fish two days.:D

I plan on taking a lot of pictures as I just ordered a Nikon D90 with two lenses and two 8 gig memory cards. Hope it makes it here in time.

I have booked a boat with Capt and deckhand for three days with an option for the fourth. Even though it is a twin diesel, I don't plan on doing any billfishing as I have Roosterfish on the brain. If we hear of a good tuna bite happening on the radio, we will be off and running. I'm only taking spinning gear with me so it could get interesting if we end up out deep in the Pacific.

I also want to do some site seeing during our stay. I have rented a car for the week so we can take off and do some exploring. Shame to go to such a beautiful area of Costa Rica and just fish.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally get info about local guide in Quepos. :) As soon as I get to Los Suenos, I'll contact him.
I am told the best snook fishing is toward end of Feb, Mar and to Mid April.
However, there are good fishing of jacks, rooster and some cubera snpapper, but only two guys there who are good and my possible guide is one of two. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts