Snapper Rigs

Discussion in 'Reef fish' started by jiggawhat, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Do you guys recommend using multi hook rigs for red snapper or should i use a jig tipped with bait. Fishing 100-120 ft. I found the fish finder just gets tangled so im lookin for other options>

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

if you are fishing small to medium sized snapper the chicken rig ( multi hook rig ) is very effective. If you are fishing bigger fish the slip lead with long leader is the way to go.

3. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

How long of a leader and test you recommend? Fluorocarbon for the slip lead?

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

What depth of water are you fishing in and how big are the snapper?

5. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Probably 22-25 inch fish in 100-120 feet.

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

go as light of a sinker that will allow you to get down and hold and use a 4' to 8' leader. I use anywhere from 40# to 80# depending if big grouper are in the area. If the snapper are finicky you can drop all the way down to 20 or 30 lb leader but you will loose a few fish possibly. I don't use fluoro unless i have to because the fish are being too picky. It has not proven to me to be cost effective most of the time, because I target grouper and just put up with the pesky snapper. Grouper will hit 120# mono if he is hungry.

7. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

your right about that, fluoro cost too much i havnt seen a big diffrence catching fish. Hows destin im in jacksonville and offshore is pretty bad cause the wind.

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

It was slick for about 4 days before this front came thru but now it is cold and bumpy. Chicken rigs will work with cut fresh bait for that size snapper as well.

9. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

sweet thanks for the info

10. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

do you target the snapper or do you go after grouper also?

11. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

The fish finder rig should be ok as long as you don't overdo it with the leader. Use 4-5 ft 60-80 lb mono leader with 7/0 circle hook. Get your hands on some 4-6 inch pinfish or piggy perch if you are live baiting, pretty much snapper candy. Similar sized mullets work as well, but it's gonna be tough getting those mullet right now unless you know where to look. Use trap to get those pinfish/piggies. Snapper will hammer them hard when u get them down near the bottom, and so will grouper. I do not recommend double drop rigs as I've seen many broken ones on big fat 15lb+ snappers, especially if two hook up. You can always use shimano lucanus jigs, they have a wide area of application, so a lot of folks are changing out the double assists to single large assist hook on their lucanus jigs.

12. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Forgot to add that red snappers are not really shy of big weights if you have a live bait on the end, so something in 4-6 oz works great in holding the bait near the target area.

13. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

usually we try our snapper spots but we run into a few grouper here and there.Thamks lordhell i have come to like a three way swival with a few feet of leader seems to work fine. Ill give that a shot

14. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

4-6 oz tsunami ball jig is all i use for red snapper now. it is easy to use and feel the slightest taps. also easy to set the hook. my hook up rate with this is damn near 100%. i pre-rig either 80 lb mono or use a long assist hook to make a 2 hook rig when tipping with whole squid or sardines.
    [​IMG]

15. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

I don't know how they are in other places, but out of Freeport after
    Hurricane Ike, I was using 100lb leader, double hooks with 24oz of weight
    (7/0 Owner circle hooks), I was pulling in 2 at a time that were 10- 20+ lbs
    each. I can do this for about 3 times then I have to replace the
    leaders cause their teeth shredded the mono thin. Lost several 20lbs+ because of that. I would recommend 150 - 200lb leader if you run into a
    school of hungry sows, line size didn't matter to them, if it looks like a fish it's
    inhaled.

I was using a St. Croix Premier Saltwater 6' H, Alutecnos Gorilla 12, 60lb
    mono, 100lb leader, 3 8oz egg sinkers, Owner circle hooks,

Attached Files:

16. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

where can i get those ball jigs.I have only seen them online and i dont think i can get them in time for mondays outing cause of the holiday.What about color?

17. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

where are you located? i got mine at a not so local tackle store. the one above is glow/chart. i like the silver/green also. these things are extremely deadly, they cant resist the flutter action with a simple up and down motion of the rod. i think the big eye helps too.

18. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

jacksonville fla i havnt seen any in the stores. so circle hook trailer and does it get more hook ups than a regular j hook

19. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

yeah, ive use circles with no problems. i think when using bait you have to use circles. the original hook is not but noone has said anything to me about it yet. i thought about replacing it with kevlar cord/circle hook.

20. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

ill have to look around maybe dicks or the local place called strike zone may have them.thanks for the tip , ill have to keep an eye out for them have you used regular bucktails the same way?