snakehead popping

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Nov 18, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Does anyone fish for snakehead on poppers ?
    I think not many fishermen heard about snakehead popping in the US, but it is pretty popular in Asia.
    They look ugly, but they are strong fighters.
    While many regard snakehead undesirable fish, they are excellent game fish,especially on light tackles.

I am going to target them on poppers in lakes from next year.
    Does anyone know any lake with good snakehead population ?

2. crazy8

crazy8 Senior Member

The FLW had an article earlier this year I got in an email about them. Apparently one of the lakes (I dont remember which) they held a tournament on, was loaded with them. Bass guys thought they had big bass on, only to find out it was a snakey.

Agreed, ugly creatures. But usually along with ugly- comes a fight!

3. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

Agreed, ugly creatures. But usually along with ugly- comes a fight!

agree, my first girlfriend was a heck of a fighter... :eek:

4. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Kil, you are reading my mind. I know the local spot in philly.
    I believe it was posted of the general area about a year ago with my fishing friend's picture.

3 years ago they were up to 30 inches. Who knows now.

As for gear, I like to use as light as possible and with a rod that has enough hook setting backbone. (maybe a custom blank from korean buider)

Anyone know any other local spots/lakes?

5. DANTE25

DANTE25 Senior Member

KIL MY BUDDY HAS ONE AS A PET IM SURE HE WOULD LET YOU THROW A SABUKI IN THERE AND TRY TO CATCH HIM..

6. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Lakes in FDR Park in Philadelphia Kil.

7. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

They do take poppers, especially the Giant Snakeheads. The common snakeheads seems to like the propeller buzz bait lures a bit more. Smaller size smack-it, sputterbuzz do wonders. Great fight and even better table fair.
    [​IMG]

8. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

As for gear, I like to use as light as possible and with a rod that has enough hook setting backbone.

Broomstick? light and has tons of backbone... :p :p :D :D

9. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

They do take poppers, especially the Giant Snakeheads. The common snakeheads seems to like the propeller buzz bait lures a bit more. Smaller size smack-it, sputterbuzz do wonders. Great fight and even better table fair.
    [​IMG]

Man, I forgot about that blue popper...:eek: :eek:

10. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Kil it is funny you mention this because i was just out bass fishing this past weekend since the weather was to bad to hit the salt. The funny thing is when I got bored and started speed jigging in 40-60ft of water to try to get a musky. The drift tune failed me on this outing, but it was a pleasure to have everyone on the lake watch me like I was a fool.
    Hey it might start a new trend.

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

[​IMG]

You got the right idea here.
    Barbless but the places I go are covered with vegetation. perhaps the buzz baits them land me a snake w/o getting tripped up first because of the double hook config.

12. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

yeah the FDR lakes. i hear are loaded.

i live 10 minutes from there,,and havent tried it yet.

13. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

yeah the FDR lakes. i hear are loaded.

i live 10 minutes from there,,and havent tried it yet.

Paul, don't spot burn...

we have a reputation to hold here in philly... :)

14. alisaeed

alisaeed Junior member

Man they take anything... from poppers to fly to spoons but they never swim in open waters, you can find them only around those crap weeds and casting a lure in it is a hassle. once hooked up the 2nd thing they do is run into the weed, this is not fishing but hauling coz you never want that fish to go there, like we do for groupers.

Texas rig worked best for me!!!

Cheers
    Ali Saeed
    Official Website of The Pakistan Game Fish Association | PGFA - Pakistan Game Fish Association

15. jdl

jdl Member

Kil...I fished for them frequently and caught many big fish in Florida, where they are found in a very localized area. They are very strong, with powerful runs and spectacular jumps. I only fish them with topwaters. An excellent freshwater gamefish.

16. alimufti

alimufti Member

Hey Ksong,

Here in Pakistan a friend and myself have really worked hard to develop snakehead fishing. We actually caught up a few hundred fish from the wild, (Channa Striatus) stocked them in a purpose built fishing pond, and fed them tuna and mackerel strips till they got pretty large.
    Then we started fishing.
    Plug casting, spinners, poppers and soft plastc all worked. But the ultimate joy was flycasting with flies we made ourselves. After flyfishing for snakehead nothing else really mattered.
    The one thing I noticed was how slow one has to retrieve a fly - even a big bushy steamer, to get snakehead to bite. The longer the fly stays near structure, and twitched very gently, the larger the chances of a strike.

Only issue is that we are not able to find enough greater snakehead (channa maurilius) to stock yet. These I believe, will be the real prize.

This is my experience with snakehead.

Cheers
    Ali

17. kukula

kukula Junior member

I have to agree that snakeheads are great gamefish. They fight really hard and jump. They may be ugly, but they taste yummy. We used to catch them all the time back in Asia :)

Chris

18. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

time to start targeting these guys.

Does anyone know where to buy Gamakatsu Barbless hooks? I'm all out.

19. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

they are good eating, if any of you spot them in Texas
    let me know :)