Smoked blackfin tuna

Discussion in 'Food and Recipe' started by fathom, Nov 18, 2009.

1. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

what temp do you smoke the stuff! i am at 150, but the wood chips are not smoking, just cranked up to 160!

2. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Is your wood chip pan directly on your heating element?

3. semipro

semipro Senior Member

Hi Chef
    what kind beer do you recommend???Just looking the pictures
    makes my mouth very wateryyy,thank you for the post.

4. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Hi Chef
    what kind beer do you recommend???Just looking the pictures
    makes my mouth very wateryyy,thank you for the post.

Shiner Black or Guiness!

5. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

its a smokin' now! temp is 159

6. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

took em out, moist

kids and the rib gave me the seal of approval!

7. BFTMASTER

BFTMASTER Senior Member

I spent easily 20 hrs. this weekend smoking blackfin at deer camp.

Steve, I was the man on sat. night around midnight when a batch was completely devoured with many beers. Straight off the rack, still warm that recipe is epic. I added lots more peppers and we enjoyed it spicy.

once again thanks for sharing this recipe as it has reached hundreds of people this week.

Myself... it will be awhile before I keep a mother load of blackfin...way to much work...now i have around 30lbs. or so smoked blackfin.

8. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

Thanks for the recipe. Came out awesome as you described. Only thing I will do next time is make it way spicier and make more of it. This stuff goes quick!

[​IMG]

9. oldtrackster

oldtrackster Senior Member

Thread resurrection:

Beware if you make this for the holidays and take it to the inlaws your wife will volunteer you for it every year. Blackfin going into the marinade tonight.
    Now off to find the stuffed pepper thread....

10. Osage

Osage Member

Years ago...in Newport Beach, CA...there was a smoked fish stand...where they had all kinds of different smoked fish. Crazy enough...I like the smoked Bonito the best....!! And I'm guessing it's because of the oily nature of the fish!!!

Thanks!!!

11. Osage

Osage Member

I know this is old thread....but fathom...you need to be specific with your recipe's...because you are good!! And need to share!!

12. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

resurrecting Steve's thread yet again........
    Drying roughly 5# of BFT chunk now.
    They'll hit the pit around noon and smoke over cherry and pecan
    @ 150 deg. for about 4-5hrs, then cool and eat with Ritz and Philly! OK maybe a little Pico, too.

jiggingnut, esgeo and Dobhar-Chu like this.
  13. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

This is the recipe I use for smoking yft and bft. I’m sure it’d work for blackfin too. If I want two chunks of tuna I always smoke three, because assuredly one will get eaten while it’s still hot and fresh off the smoker.

14. Gorge

Gorge Junior member

My wife caught a decent sized blue runner this past summer and everybody told us to use it for bait. Cant eat that thing. They're gross. But the meat looked okay to me so I took it home and smoked it up using a similar brine and it was delicious. Go figger

jiggingnut likes this.
  15. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Thats what everyone told me about rainbow runner about 10-12 yrs ago. then I had it at a sushi house and it was incredible.
    one of the most popular comments was:
    "Rainbow runner? that's only good for marlin bait."
    bleed it just like a tuna. meat is so fatty it's amazing.

16. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

Used to catch them even 2 at a time at Perdido on the Scat. I never kept any, always gave them away or make AJ bait with them.

17. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

smoked all of my blackfin tuna already. first time I have done it this way. absolutely amazing! froze about 15 individual servings, like Lite Liner suggested. Still had a large tub I took to work to share. Some of the best tasting fish I have ever eaten!