Smith AMJ 52EX or HOTs SOS-56XH, which one?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by laiben, Aug 24, 2009.

1. laiben

laiben Junior member

Hi,

I am looking for a jigging rod, which can carry at least max400g jig and has strong rebounce power. I am thinking to buy either Smith AMJ 52EX or Hots SOS56XH, anyone can share their experience about these rods? :eek:

I already have a JM power spell 400g if you want to know.....

Thanks
    laiben

2. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I sent you a PM

3. laiben

laiben Junior member

Thanks Enoch,

Maybe I should say more about my fishing. There is actually no deep sea jigging in my living area so I mainly travel aboard for jigging and my jigging experience is very limited and the fishing location is not fixed. I would like to use the new rod to target tuna. Right now I have a stellaSW 8000 but i think it is not enough so I am going to buy a Stella SW 20000 to use with the new rod.

Any recommendation is appreciated.

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Thanks Enoch,

Maybe I should say more about my fishing. There is actually no deep sea jigging in my living area so I mainly travel aboard for jigging and my jigging experience is very limited and the fishing location is not fixed. I would like to use the new rod to target tuna. Right now I have a stellaSW 8000 but i think it is not enough so I am going to buy a Stella SW 20000 to use with the new rod.

Any recommendation is appreciated.

Maybe you should consider a 2-piece design if you plan to travel 100% of the time when using the rod? I highly recommend the Smith WRC-55Nirai as it's a 2 piece design that's extremely light and compact, but very powerful rod, perfect for the traveler looking for a heavy duty rod to match to Stella 20000SW. The rod bend is also very nice, will be very good with tuna.

Anglers Pro Shop has them in stock at the moment:

Angler's Pro Shop - Smith WRC-55NIRAI

5. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Another thing to remember is that between hots and smith the smith is typically 2 piece besides the model you inquire about here.

I may have a solution for your fishing location strategy.

Lordhell is right about the travel woes of a one-piece rod. I suggest something that would be more all-around when it comes to targeting tuna and their sub-species.

I have the wgh-56H and I feel one of its advantages is the soft tip to work jigs even in the 175g range all the way up to 400g. Travelling from one place to another may require a totally different attack when using jigs. Say drift and depth could change your jig selection 200g in difference. Getting a rod for tuna isnt hard, its getting the right rod for the different applications.

:cool:

6. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Maybe you should consider a 2-piece design if you plan to travel 100% of the time when using the rod? I highly recommend the Smith WRC-55Nirai as it's a 2 piece design that's extremely light and compact, but very powerful rod, perfect for the traveler looking for a heavy duty rod to match to Stella 20000SW. The rod bend is also very nice, will be very good with tuna.

Anglers Pro Shop has them in stock at the moment:

Angler's Pro Shop - Smith WRC-55NIRAI

lordhell, if you have an extra NIRAI in your bin i'd be happy to help take it off your hands... :D :D :D

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

lordhell, if you have an extra NIRAI in your bin i'd be happy to help take it off your hands... :D :D :D

Enoch, I have one but I love it! I will never part with it, lol! :D

By the way, the Nirai has a soft bend as well. Can handle 200g jigs easily.

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i think the smith wgj 56h is the closest to a perfect jigging rod as you can get. price/versatility/compactness. cant go wrong.

9. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

i think the smith wgj 56h is the closest to a perfect jigging rod as you can get. price/versatility/compactness. cant go wrong.

I love those words Brian, your advice helped me decide on the wgj as well...now I see that you were right from the beginning. I wouldnt mind another one and even the SLH.

Hatidua (Mark) if you are reading this please sell me your smith rods! haha

Enoch, I have one but I love it! I will never part with it, lol! :D

By the way, the Nirai has a soft bend as well. Can handle 200g jigs easily.

This is a surprise to me. I felt it wouldn't be as capable to handle smaller jigs. No wonder you wont depart from it! :p

10. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

I would also look in the Spinoza short series. Simply amazing.

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

What about the Spinoza makes it amazing? Please explain Andy, help a brother out!

I would also look in the Spinoza short series. Simply amazing.

12. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

What about the Spinoza makes it amazing? Please explain Andy, help a brother out!

First off it's a 2 piece rod which makes for a great traveling rod if that is one of your concern. Secondly this rod(5121) has balls while at the same time being very easy on the angler. Forgiveness plus lifting power makes it my personal favorite. As bonus, the fore grip is super comfy while fighting fish and the rear grip length is ideal for me. The only down side is the price, but, if you're considering the Nirai(which I've had and think it's also an awesome rod) then the Spinoza short series should not be overlooked.

13. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Enoch...another vote for Spinoza Short...Amazing...Andy got the 5121 and I got the 5122...FREAKING AWESOME!

14. laiben

laiben Junior member

Thanks guys~! You guys are fantastic!

Since I have a hard rod case for traveling aboard so one-piece or two-piece rod is not a problem to me, I will bring my popping rod with me anyway. I look at smith website and couldn't find the WGJ series. Are they out of production now? I am afraid I couldn't order it from my local shop if they are not in the catalogue.

Anyway I would like to ask is the 55NIRAI much stronger than the AMJ52EX? Will it be no fun if the fish is too small (e.g. 15kg AJ)? Also any AMJ52EX owner can tell if the rod handle 200g-400g jig well?

Seems like no one recommend HOTs.. :eek: :eek: :eek:

thanks
    laiben

15. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Thanks guys~! You guys are fantastic!

Since I have a hard rod case for traveling aboard so one-piece or two-piece rod is not a problem to me, I will bring my popping rod with me anyway. I look at smith website and couldn't find the WGJ series. Are they out of production now? I am afraid I couldn't order it from my local shop if they are not in the catalogue.

Anyway I would like to ask is the 55NIRAI much stronger than the AMJ52EX? Will it be no fun if the fish is too small (e.g. 15kg AJ)? Also any AMJ52EX owner can tell if the rod handle 200g-400g jig well?

thanks
    laiben
    the 52ex will handle those jig weights.
    the nirai is stronger than the 52ex. the wgj series can be bought from anglers-proshop. the wgj 56h is stronger than the 52ex. i dont think
    most people arent too familiar with that particular model of hots rod. the wei world 48xxh is slightly stronger than the 52ex. all rods discussed are top notch. since you have a 400gm JM i would get the 52ex to use for smaller fish and jig weights and then you can cover pretty much anything your going to encounter.

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

thanks
    laiben
    Because very few know about Hots One Pitch Slider 56XH.:)
    It seems the rod has magic. Anyone who touches the rod wants to have it.:)
    You are right. There is no reason for two-piece jigging rods as most Japanese jiggind rods are under 6'.

200 lbs bluefin caugt with Hots SOS56XH.
    [​IMG]

17. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Okay I admit, that HOT's rod is awesome!

Kil let me battle by first bruiser bluefin with it last week that was 200lb. I couldn't be happier with that the HOT's S0S-56XH.

...I can agree, that rod is lighter than my fluke rod!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Because very few know about Hots One Pitch Slider 56XH.:)
    It seems the rod has magic. Anyone who touches the rod wants to have it.:)
    You are right. There is no reason for two-piece jigging rods as most Japanese jiggind rods are under 6'.

200 lbs bluefin caugt with Hots SOS56XH.
    [​IMG]

Kil, you look pretty gangsta in this pic! :p

How much does the Hot's SOS56XH sell for?

19. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Enoch...another vote for Spinoza Short...Amazing...Andy got the 5121 and I got the 5122...FREAKING AWESOME!

Topper whats up! its been a while since ive seen u on here...

yea, I've been lagging on the fisherman. But something is in the works for our "you know what brand" rod.... :cool: stay cool, ill hit u up when things develop

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

hots....if the hots SOS56XH bends any way like the wei world that is my pick.
    less pressure on angler and more on fish.