Smaller poppers

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Fishhead56, May 9, 2009.

1. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

A while back I posted in a thread that I had not found a production smaller hard bait that I felt would hold up to stronger fish. Ie Mirror lure, Rapala ect

I think I have found one. Tackle House FEED popper. The lures have a
    a through wire simuliar as the Tackle House Sibuki and are just under 5" and just over an ounce.

Top lure in box is how they are shipped. The hooks and rings are light for
    how I would plan to use the lure. I wanted to upgrade the hardware but
    not attach anything so massive as to kill the action.

So I added Single Stinger hook (DECOY 5\0) and small strong split rings (Smith 150lb). To me these smith rings handle like an Owner 200lb ring
    with smaller Dia.
    I plan to only use stinger hook and no middle hook.

I am still looking for a stick bait in the same size range.
    For now soft plastic swim baits will have to do for this.

The bottom popper in the photo is a wood popper I pulled off a shelf from a tackle shop in CT. It is a Ranger lure if I remember correctly and has some promise also as a small sturdy popper.

Kev

Attached Files:

2. LST-Ray

LST-Ray Junior member

Hello Fishhead,
    I manufacture Surface Tension and I believe it may be what you are looking for inj a top water plug. The 3/4 and the 1 1/4 oz models are both thru wired and cast extremely well. Can be worked fast or slow (I prefer a slow retrieve with short pumps of the rod tip). The hardware is the weakest link (60 lb split ring with VMC Live Bait hook) which can be upgraded to your liking. I have had reports of Dorado on the 3/4 oz and School Bluefin on the 1 1/4 oz. I have taken large Striped Bass & Bluefish as well as False Albacore and Bonito on these small offerings. I make a 2 oz and 3 oz as well ...
    Good Luck,
    Ray

Attached Files:

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I've caught a couple yellowfin on the 3oz surface tension lures. They cast very well. I put a 200# split ring on them with a 4/0 ST66 Owner for tuna. At night, the black color works best on tuna.

4. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Here is another one that I like Its 15cm and 53g, they make a 12cm and 30g model too

[​IMG]

d-a

5. Grifft

Grifft Senior Member

Has anyone tried the Daiwa top water baits?

The Saltiga Popper is 5 1/2" and 1 7/16oz:

[​IMG]

The Saltiga Pencil comes in two sizes: 5 1/2" and 1 1/16oz, and 7" and 2 1/8oz.

[​IMG]

Yo-Zuri also makes the Bull (smaller than the Bull GT).

Tom

6. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

that saltiga popper is one of the best made in Japan for Mahi...quite popular overseas too

7. mark stotesbury

mark stotesbury Senior Member

tried the bullchop by yamaria? works great on yellowfin tuna biggest 50kg on this little lure .

8. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I caught bunch of skipjack tunas on flitz 42. They loved it..

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i keep meaning to buy the flitz since at times it is a good idea to use small lures. this past weekend tuna were not touching big poppers, but were killing the skagit I was using.