360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
** Pak Lurah **
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I clean my YFT from OTI Big-E trip last night and I found one of the YFT meat has some small white bead like tapioca pearl or rice grain size.

This white bead is all over the place of the meat but less on the tail section.

I found one time also on the black-fin tuna meat from the last trip of Dauphin Island,AL.

Anybody know what it is ???

·
2,835 Posts
I also noticed those white lines in one tuna on my last trip. The others didn't have it. At first, I thought it might have been where fresh water had mistakenly entered into a zip lock bag that wasn't sealed properly while transporting back home in the ice chests.

Yellowfin tuna varies in color from pink in smaller fish to deeper red in larger fish, so once again the color itself is no indication of freshness. The white rice size specs were from the surface to the center of the loin on my tuna.

Tuna meat is like the meat of many land based animals. It contains myoglobin, a pigmented protein that stores oxygen in the muscle tissue. Myoglobin changes color, however, depending among other things on how much oxygen is available to it. Maybe, we winched them up so fast, the myoglobin freaked out and made white specs.:D

·
4,723 Posts
Strangely, the beads on my fish meat were larger than rice grain sized. More like a small white pearl in size. I have found these beads on several occasions on my tuna while cleaning but just cut them out as they do look unappetizing.. :D

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
quit cleaning your fish on a block of styrofoam..........

:D

:D Actually, that's a good visualization for what I've seen too...

Small white beads ~2-3mm in diameter. Not a lot like Freddy noticed... But several that I saw and quickly removed. (Sorry no pix, already long gone in the trash.)

·
1,095 Posts
next time scrape some off, put it on a microscope slide, and have a look.

or, give it to the kid on your street who is taking high school biology. their teacher could have a look. the kid might also want to do a science paper on it for school competitions, etc...

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts
I have seen these white beads on AJs meat and I believe it is worms...but I dont know about Tuna...

You may very well be right, so I'm not disagreeing...

I've seen small black oblong (like rice) worms in larger grouper and various jacks. They come out easily and they're very soft. When I squished a few out of curiosity, I could tell it was a little organism. Now I don't pick them out and play with them any more... I just throw those fish away (if heavily infested) knowing my wife would never eat fish again if she saw one!

But these white beads seemed to almost be part of the flesh... like when you pull a vein out... like they were attached. And they were hard almost like a pearl.

Maybe it is caused by a parasite somewhere in the fish... But what I saw didn't look like an actual organism... Almost like a build up or secretion in the tissue of some kind. But heck, I'm just guessing....

Put it this way... Maybe these should gross me out. But they didn't. I just pulled the few out that I saw while cleaing the filets and kept on truckin...

Hope I don't keel over now! :eek:

Jason

·
Banned
588 Posts
Swordfish occasionally will have cancer, and it sounds like what you are describing. Sometimes it can be so bad that you have to get rid of the whole fish. AJ's have worms out here, but not as common down in the GOM, so I doubt that it's worms though anything is possible. I hope it is not the beginning of anything.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Jason you will be just fine...

Aruvio, I have caught many AJs and on the GOM side you are right...no worms what so ever, no matter how big the AJ is..but compare to the east coast where I caught a 35lbs AJ and there was worms from the head to the tail...at first I didn't know what it was until some internet search, I am glad I didn't eat it but threw it away...

·
237 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think that people can catch salt water parasitic worms(maybe tape worms), only fresh water ones, that's why u don't see many people eating fresh water fish raw. Either way just drink enough rum it'll kill anything crawling around in ya..

·
395 Posts
Freddy mine are OK and I have plenty so you are welcome to as much as you want.
My brother inlaw's brother is a fisheries biologist save samples and take pictures I'll get in touch with him.

G

·
Either way just drink enough rum it'll kill anything crawling around in ya..

exactly :)

honestly ive only seen very very few in tuna here. tossed the meat around it. while i had no idea whether itd hurt me, i just felt better about tossing it.

ive seen AJs in the gulf........both in small and large. luck of the draw i guess. one time we got a big fish with no worms but a small one with worms. same rig and all.

·
Banned
831 Posts
it's some kind of parasite, we see it alot. I just cut around it. most have none, some a few, and some so many that most of the fish has to be fed to the cats.

·
686 Posts
I've seen this a few times on my YFT meat and just discarded that part.

There is a show on the Travel channel call "Bite Me with Dr. Mike" and in one of his episodes he visited an Asian country to do a study on parasites such as tape worms. At one point in the show he went to the local market to fine meat with visible parasites on them. The piece of beef that he purchased had a small white rice size spec on it just like the ones I saw on my YFT meat. He identified it as a Tapeworm larva or egg, I can't remember exactly. He then swallowed it and incubated it in his own body for scientific purposes. Later in the show, I guess it was weeks later, he took a worming tablet and sh!tted the worm out to show the camera. If this is for real, that guy is just insane.

I guess if all parasite on fish were this visible than I won't have a problem avoiding them when I'm making sashimi.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts