Small guides on spinners to avoid line twist

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by nikonfme, Oct 24, 2009.

1. nikonfme

nikonfme Senior Member

Have there been any rod builders that are going with smaller guides on spinning rods to avoid line twist and wind knots? Have spoken to a few people lately and they are going small. Saw someone casting the other day with a 9' surf rod with a Van Staal and the rod looked like a casting rod. Maybe size 20 for first guide? He built it himself and was casting it over 100yds.

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

sure we use them,
    mostly on longer rods.
    they were designed for braid and spin reels on longer rods.
    work great.

but the are good on shorter jigging rod also. for line clearance.
    even have them in titanium frame ..for a lightweight setup.

3. Sergio E

Sergio E Guest

Have there been any rod builders that are going with smaller guides on spinning rods to avoid line twist and wind knots? Have spoken to a few people lately and they are going small. Saw someone casting the other day with a 9' surf rod with a Van Staal and the rod looked like a casting rod. Maybe size 20 for first guide? He built it himself and was casting it over 100yds.

Fuji LC (Low Riders) guides have been around for almost 10 years. I have been using them exclusively on my roosterfish rods since 2001. Indeed the stripper guide is a size 20.

They are designed for longer rods of at least 11', but can also be used in shorter rods. The striper must be set at least 120 cm from the reel.

The rod (12' 3") in this video of a rooster I caught two weeks ago has Low Riders. YouTube - Roosterfishing. Testing Mike Fixter's SS Type I skipping mullet lure. . Stripper guide size 20. It is a Gambit 24, custom built in 2001 by Conoflex in England. The rod is still going strong after hundreds of roosterfish from shore. Same rod here YouTube - Surf Roosterfishing in La Paz BCS .

My only worry in a smaller rod is that the design of the guides will leave a good percentage of the blank in between the the feet of the guides.

Sergio

4. saqa

saqa Jonny TooBad

I have done a fair amount of testing with these. Lots of casting, fiddleing and high speed video work. They work extremely well on rods down to 7' for getting really wicked casts. I would suggest to throw any rules outa the widow and strap on a set with tape and play. They actually arent all that hard to setup either.