Sluggos for YF tuna

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by squidgie, May 27, 2009.

1. squidgie

squidgie Junior member

Hi,

Has anyone used the soft plastics sluggos when out chasing yellowfin tuna ? If so, how did they perform, and how did you rig them.

I have some 9inch and 12inch white sluggos and will be giving them a try. I have seen the you tube clip where they are rigged with 2 hooks - and I was thinking along the same lines, but using some of the owner ballyhoo hooks instead of the short ones around.

Any feedback much appreciated....

cheers

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

how heavy are you able to get them once rigged?

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Make sure the hooks are strong enough to withstand bending. They work good, but other lures work just as well and weigh twice as much.

d-a

4. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

Up north we slow troll them, cast them weighted and un weighted. Usually just single hook them with an Owner 11/0. You can even texas rig them for weedless if weeds are a problem.

5. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Squidgie,

I can not say how effective they would be for YF Tuna. I can tell you that they are a mainstay for school BF Tuna here in the Northeast. The 12 inch sluggo's can be rigged on nothing but a 8/0 or 9/0 single Tuna hook. I use an 8/0 Owner Jobu hook. It is a very heavy, and strong hook. A 12 inch Sluggo and an 8/0 Owner Jobu puts you over 3 ounces so it casts pretty well. There are also the "Lunker Grip" type hooks with the textured lead poured onto the shank of the hook. They grip the sluggo well and they are heavy. With the BF Tuna using the single hook rig, there does not seem to be a problem with "short strikes". They just inhale the whole thing. So, I don't see any need for the double hook rig, but the YF Tuna could be different. We do use 9 inch sluggo's as well, but I have to fish those on an Owner 1 1/2 oz. jig head so you can cast it. The 12 inch sluggo seems to work better here.

6. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Vertically jig the 10" 3X or 4X. RonZ

7. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

We made up a couple Sluggo spreader bars for this years Yellowfin season. 9" in bubble gum.

The trailing bait is a small pink/white islander jr. with the sluggo inside it.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

No doubt sluggo works great for tuna by trolling or casting.
    But it is too slow for my taste. I'd rather use regular jigs and poppers even I catch less. :)

9. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Hey bret. Double wide 10in hogys are 3 oz out of the bag. Use weighted grip hooks and they'll come out to 4 oz. Plenty to cast far

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah 3oz is fine with a longer rod. i was throwing lighter this past weekend no prob. i couldnt remember, been a while since i used any!

11. squidgie

squidgie Junior member

Cheers guys.

With the 9 inch ones I use a keel shaped jighead and that gives them a bit of weight for casting. With that jighead, you can cast and then retrieve them very quick and the sluggo will swim perfectly back with a great action . Im not sure if I can get the same jig head but larger for the 12s.

I will look at the jobus in the larger size and see how they compare. We dont seem to get a big range of the lunker hooks here in Aus that have the lead grip so I will have to make something up. Last time I wrapped the shank in 80lb braid and that helped to stop the sluggo sliding off a bit. These 12s are quite large so should do well to imitate a fat saury or ballyhoo(garfish over here). If they dont work on tuna,will use them for yellowtail kings as well.

cheers

12. Capt. Mike Ellis

Capt. Mike Ellis Member

I second thew Hogy double wides. I have caught a decent amount of yellows on the pearl and the pink. I just use the stock weighted hook from Hogy.
    Capt. Mike

13. wacker

wacker Senior Member

No doubt sluggo works great for tuna by trolling or casting.
    But it is too slow for my taste. I'd rather use regular jigs and poppers even I catch less. :)

:confused: :confused:

14. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

Anyone ever use those flukes that are about 7" long?