Sluggo for tuna

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Oct 13, 2008.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Fishing with 9" big Sluggo for bluefin has become a new fashion in Cape Cod Bay for casting and trolling this year.
    I thought it is a good idea to try them in Gulf of Mexico near oil rigs at night.

[​IMG]

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

what hook are they using???

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I haven't tried myself. Here is a picture of sluggo rig with Gamatatsu 5/0 o r 6/0 hooks. I don't mind using bigger/stronger hooks for them.

[​IMG]

4. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

looks good! superglue a couple feathers on the sides and you have a flyng fish :)

5. papio

papio Senior Member

I use big Hogy Lures up to 10" with single jighead with much success. Great for top and sub surface application. Similar to Sluggo. IMHO, a must have for your lure bag.

6. etan

etan Senior Member

You could rig them as shown with a slip sinker like bass fishermen use on the front for casting. The sinker could be pegged or free sliding. Do you think the second hook is neccessary? I use 11" bass worms on a jighead for speckled trout and never have any short strikes. I'd imagine tuna would just inhale the whole thing.

7. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

I have seen reports of them trolling them as well and wondered if anyone was using them in Morehead? Maybe that was the secret weapon of the couple of boats that got 14 and 17 last winter?

8. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Kil- You might ck out the Fin-S-Fish in 11" size. I have used it to catch
    blackfin & big Stripers. comes in lots of good colors, including Glo.
    I use a 8/o Gamakatsu, run thru the middle & up thru the back, w/ 200# wire, attached w/ haywire twist. insert 1oz. barrel sinker on wire, inside slot of bait.
    This has the best action of any large soft plastic I have used.
    Funny, though, I've been fishing this rig for almost 4 years now........:rolleyes:
    If you like, I'll post a pic when I get home from work.
    BTW, they're good for 1, maybe 2 fish at best. but at around $4 per rig,
    who cares!:cool:
    tight lines
    -Brian

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You could rig them as shown with a slip sinker like bass fishermen use on the front for casting. The sinker could be pegged or free sliding. Do you think the second hook is neccessary? I use 11" bass worms on a jighead for speckled trout and never have any short strikes. I'd imagine tuna would just inhale the whole thing.
    I found many guys don't use double hooks.
    Here is how they rig for tuna.

---------

I would not double hook a sluggo or any other bait, ESPECIALLY tuna fished on light tackle....This includes plugs or swimmers with double trebles as well. The problem is that alot of times one hook gets in the jaw and the other in the upper mouith and if he breaks off he is doomed, Use a hook like the Owner ballyhoo hook 11/0 that positions the hook a third of the way back from the head....Works well for us....

----------

Use the single hook so the point rides up so it is a bit more weedless. We have used the 11/0 owner ballyhoo hook for months now and find it fantastic. I cannot remember a single eat that we did not hook up on the slug-go and that accounts for what is now close to a hundred fish!!

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil- You might ck out the Fin-S-Fish in 11" size. I have used it to catch
    blackfin & big Stripers. comes in lots of good colors, including Glo.
    I use a 8/o Gamakatsu, run thru the middle & up thru the back, w/ 200# wire, attached w/ haywire twist. insert 1oz. barrel sinker on wire, inside slot of bait.
    This has the best action of any large soft plastic I have used.
    Funny, though, I've been fishing this rig for almost 4 years now........:rolleyes:
    If you like, I'll post a pic when I get home from work.
    BTW, they're good for 1, maybe 2 fish at best. but at around $4 per rig,
    who cares!:cool:
    tight lines
    -Brian
    Fin-S is my favorite for weakfish (sea trout). Fin-S and small leadhead is deadly for weakfish.

11. Nepptune

Nepptune Senior Member

Funny Kil, I just recieved an order of Sluggo's which I had intended to fish for Longfin/Albacore in the very same way....

Hoping it'll work down here too..

12. DEA

DEA Member

Been using the same set up Kil here in NorCal for big stripers!

They absolutely smoke it with reckless abandon.

And it's a great follow up lure too when they miss a big top water bait.