Slow Pitching tuna

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Dominic Licari, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Dominic Licari

Dominic Licari Member

Trying to get into this slow pitch game. Tired of speed jigging. Looking for a better alternative. I’m pretty sure I watched every YouTube video and read every article possible. Who makes a blank that can handle tuna? Yea 50-100 pounds ok most rods will handle it. But what about tuna over 100. I don’t wanna go out there and get smoked by a 200 pound big eye and snap a rod I just paid a grand for.

a1flyfishr likes this.
  2. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member Supporting Member

A SPJ rod is not meant to steer, guide, horse, or lift a fish. It is only meant to work the jig the way it was intended. So if you’re going to target tuna, your best bet is to point the rod at the fish and use a reel with enough line capacity and drag to bring get the fish to the boat.

Benny

Cubeye, BrianHouston, mag0121 and 3 others like this.

3. Dominic Licari

Dominic Licari Member

Thanks for the reply. I guess this will be trial and error.

a1flyfishr likes this.
  4. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

Allow me to weigh in.

I made all the mistakes in spite of being told "DON'T DO THAT!"

People are going to tell you it can't or shouldn't be done at least they did in my circle. "Fluke rod?! Noodle rod?!"

They may be uninitiated so make up your own mind.

Black hole, as I've recently found out first hand is plenty forgiving for a SPJ. The cape cod special SPJ....B-581H3R mated to a Valiant 500N or 600NN. The 600NN is a BIG reel despite being so very narrow.

I was able to land a 100+ pound tuna on a seigler sgn with 30lb braid and 50lb fluro on a 300g-600g rod. Reel was on another rod....long story.

I wound up snapping the rod from inexperience and haste. Trust the guys on here who know better than me, you won't have to try and fail when everyone's done it for you.

5. seapicker

seapicker Active Member

I have the DLMA48 and its a crazy sweet rod. Fished in 1000’ of water using 700gr jigs. Caught tile fish while hoping for Tuna. Like others have said here the reel is what gets the fish up. The rod enables you to impart the the jig action. https://www.deepliner.com/en/rod02.htm
    If you are interested in knowing more about these guys welcome to PM me.

6. Dominic Licari

Dominic Licari Member

Yea leaning towards black hole. The temple reef levitate 68-2 or 68-3 is the other option I was thinking about.

7. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

I got a temple reef 68-3 as a gift to my friend in Alaska. From what I've seen, it can handle some abuse. Despite my "don't pump, lift the fish" with the rod, i had seen so many yellow eye, sea bass, salmon and even undersize halibut lifted to the boat using the rod. It eventually broke a couple of months ago into It's 3rd season. Per my recommendation, my friend used the 50% discount and got the Benny temple reef edition.

In all honesty, I didn't expect to last 1 season because of user error.

8. Stevo

Stevo Well-Known Member

It doesn’t surprise me at all.
    Alaskans are hard on their gear. I have been living there since 2006 and worked in several hunting and fishing stores. Many reps would say that Alaska had the highest amount of returns but sales were also very good and they were more than happy to process the warranty claims.
    Fishing wise it’s definitely not as good as it used to be.

iyaman likes this.
  9. seapicker

seapicker Active Member

Here are images of the Deepliner rod I mentioned earlier in post. Put a 700gram jig on it so you can see how that translates to the rod. Rod is 4’8” long, light as a feather, strong as a bull, and yet it’s a pleasure to slow pitch jig and easy to create great jig action.

Attached Files:

10. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

So you've been able to put the screws to larger fish? 4'8.....what's the action like? Curiouser and curiouser...

a1flyfishr likes this.
  11. vgb

vgb Active Member

If you're tired of speed jigging, maybe that's your queue to try and modify your jigging action - longer fall, slower retrieve, slower jigging action in general. All this you can achieve better with a "regular" action jigging rod (slightly longer than a short, pure-breed fast jigger, at or a little over 6'). I don't think that SPJ is better than these "regular" jigging rods when specifically targeting tuna; in fact, I think the opposite holds truth.

Case in point - . I know the title of the video says 'slow jigging', but Zenaq Fokeeto Ikari are advertised as general purpose rods ;). Lots of other videos on youtube.

Something similar are the Yamaga Blanks Galahad models (regular ones, not the slow pitch). You can get Zenaqs at Tomo's and Yamaga Galahads from Dan @ Tackle Now or Saltywater. Tenryu and Smith jigging rods can also be options but I'm not familiar with their lines (I'm mostly familiar with Yamagas, currently owning rods form 6 different lines; I've also seen Zenaqs in action).

More generally, you might want to decide on line # you want to use (what PE#) and pick a specific model rod accordingly. From your post I assume you already posses a compatible reel; or maybe you're also shopping for one, in which case that's another discussion :D

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    bnz likes this.
  12. seapicker

seapicker Active Member

I have not caught anything over 40lbs with this rod. All I can tell you is that jigging 700gr jig with it is a cinch, and you can feel the flutter which Is quite outstanding. Anyways, these rods are are not meant to be high sticked. They are made to impart great action to the jig which maximizes hooking potential. I can not speak to any other rods besides the Evergreen Poseidon rods, both are considered the top end of Japanese Slow Pitch rods according to many. I personally like the action of the Deepliner more and I catch plenty of fish with them. In regards to longer rods for really heavy jigs seems counter balanced and I won’t really know if it’s so until I try one.

I am glad to let anyone try these rods if we cross paths. I live in Boston and have been fishing out of Southern NH On party boat. I’m usually the only one slow pitch jigging and pretty much keeping up with bait guys.

BTW, I do not take this rod on these trips, I take #1, 4, 6, and 8 and try to fish with lightest jig possible starting with 80gr.

13. Dominic Licari

Dominic Licari Member

I said I was sick of speed jigging. I’ll never get rid of my Calstars. I don’t head out off shore without them. Hell I still clip a hammered diamond jig in the rigger while we are chunking. Looking for something new and challenging.

14. a1flyfishr

a1flyfishr Retired Member Supporting Member

Hey James The DeepLiner Logical series has rods up to #10. https://www.deepliner.com/en/rod01.htm

2EA2B5F0-7196-4434-B1CE-BA7CBAD29F0E.jpeg

But Feed has the SloWorx series that can high pitch up to 1499g. Just thought I’d feed your curiosity.

Benny
    738DF52A-DEB3-419E-9E2C-7D8D9B95C33C.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  15. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

a1flyfishr likes this.
  16. dspencer

dspencer Member

I bought a couple of the Jigging World Ghost Hunter slow pitch rods when they first came out.
    They were both their heavy rods, 5'6 and 5'8". They are made to pull hard with line ratings of 100 and 80 pound.
    They are both stiffer than most of the slow pitch rods normally used but if you are hunting bigger fish they are capable. I got a 100 pound plus Yellowfin on it last trip out last year.

Cubeye and Stevo like this.
  17. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

Can you catch a big YF tuna on slow pitch gear...yes....but would I want to?...no....

jon holsenbeck likes this.
  18. Feldguy

Feldguy Active Member

For my experience it was bad judgement. I was shaking down brand new combos thinking the heavys had moved on for the day.

Well, reasonably heavy at maybe 100lbs.

The fight was awesome just wish I had my accurate on the rod instead of the seigler as I needed heavier line and some more max drag.

But at the end, I took the fish down despite it being way less than ideal.

Snaphappy and Cubeye like this.