360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what’s the difference from speed vs slow pitch jigging and does it really make a difference on the quantity of fish hooked? I have a trip lined up for October out of Texas. I suppose there will be black fin and any tips/techniques would be appreciated, also how and what do I use to Add YFT to the list??? Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Slow pitch is more geared for bottom fishing or targeting a specific depth and getting a bite from fish that aren't as aggressive. Fast jigging is more of a "to whom it may concern" and you cover a lot more of the water column, fast movements will get an aggressive fish to strike. Both are effective for blackfin, but I usually prefer spj just cause it's not as tiring and with metered braid I can target the specific depth the blackfin are being marked at. Yellowfin are generally caught on halcos, poppers or chunk bait. Are you fishing on a party boat or a private charter?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slow pitch is more geared for bottom fishing or targeting a specific depth and getting a bite from fish that aren't as aggressive. Fast jigging is more of a "to whom it may concern" and you cover a lot more of the water column, fast movements will get an aggressive fish to strike. Both are effective for blackfin, but I usually prefer spj just cause it's not as tiring and with metered braid I can target the specific depth the blackfin are being marked at. Yellowfin are generally caught on halcos, poppers or chunk bait. Are you fishing on a party boat or a private charter?
It’s a part boat, GPB

·
Registered
136 Posts
Check out these threads, they've got just about all the info you need to get setup for a trip on the New Bucc :)

·
2,296 Posts
Coonhound, asking for advice and checking out infomercials and how to videos online is a good place to start but nothing is better than practical experience. In a perfect world, you hooking up with some dedicated jiggers for a couple of trips would be invaluable by giving you the opportunity of watching the different types of jigging, gear used and the opportunity to try it out before buying your own set ups.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I dont agree that slow pitch is geared towards bottom fish and fast pitch (speed jig) is geared towards aggressive pelagics at all.
In Japan, Taiwan, we use slow pitch for almost everything. Especially pelagics. I expereinced this when we jigged for tuna in Socal and Kingfish in NewZ as well. Slow pitch is the primary jigging technique for YFT, Albacore Tuna that are deep, (100+meters) . It is difficult, likely impossible, to fast pitch a 150~300g jig in heavy current all day. There is not benefit to fast pitch unless you are looking for a reaction bite, however this can be acheived with a slightly faster tempo with the slow pitch rod. Slow pitching requires less energy, its an overall lighter setup, and the action of the long fall and fluttering of the jig triggers a reaction bite,, often on the "fall" from most species.

Slow pitch rods are also more parabolic putting less stress on the angler during jigging. Fighting the fish is done primarily with the reel not the rod (when using a true slow pitch rod.) Fast pitch rods have more backbone and can stand up to higher drag pressures so fighting the fish may be easier. There are benefits to both i guess.

Anyway, there are different trains of thought on this topic. This is just based off my experience of course. Maybe for certain species, one technique works better.
cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts