360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
2,286 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but the SP rod as mentioned is designed for presentation. More important is the reel that will be cranking up that Tuna.
That's not necessarily true. The newer generation of SPJ rods, some Hearty Rise and FC Labo rods are built so you can pump them like a man. It's a bit crazy to watch some of their videos bringing up some monster fish, the bends on the rods are incredible but then so were the catches. I'm with Benny, waiting until I get to put the SPJ3S Hearty Rods bending on big fish to learn how to fish them.

·
2,286 Posts
Today I got to try out the HRSPJ3S power 2 and 3 today. I brought a 5 foot tax man to the boat on the Power 2 rod and I have to say it can handle a pretty impressive bendo. The rock weren't my friend today, hooked up on some big groupers rocked up on me but I waited them out and they came out of their holes, unfortunately the chaffed leaders broke each time. I was fishing the power 3 with the drag locked down. These rods do take some getting used to but then I'm new at this.

·
2,286 Posts
Nice fish Benny! For the Grouper in the rocks I was using the SPJ3S #3, Diawa LD50 2sp, spooled with Ocean Silk PE 3.5, L/L 130 monofilament leader, jigs 350 - 500. Lock down drag on the reel is #40. Spot lock is awesome because you can give the fish enough slack so it comes out but can still feel it start moving. I'm not proficient enough to feel them take the lure as it descends, by the time it registers dang things are back in the rocks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts