360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Retired Member
5,446 Posts
If you’re using it for SPJ within that weight range it’s perfect. Slow Pitch rods are designed to work a designated jig weight not the size of fish. If using jigs lighter than 200g than I’d say go for the lower power rod. If you’re using it for bottom fishing with 8oz to 12oz sinker you should be fine. You’re best bet is to buy the power rod you’ll get the most use out of with the jig weight most used for your fishing spots.

Benny

·
Registered
50 Posts
Benny ,

So a rod that is rated say at 200 grams you could probably fish up or down 100 grams and still move the jig properly but say their are bigger fish around say in the 100lbs -150lbs. Would you still use the lighter rod to fight these fish? I know you rod is not you first defense in fighting a fish but I would like to know your thoughts about this.

·
Retired Member
5,446 Posts
Benny ,

So a rod that is rated say at 200 grams you could probably fish up or down 100 grams and still move the jig properly but say their are bigger fish around say in the 100lbs -150lbs. Would you still use the lighter rod to fight these fish? I know you rod is not you first defense in fighting a fish but I would like to know your thoughts about this.
Yes! That’s the slow pitch idea! That’s why you were always supposed to point the rod towards the fish and crank.

Benny

·
Registered
50 Posts
Benny,

Would you say there is a limit to the size of the fish you could catch with the scenario above? With the different rated SPJ rods I would have to think yes but I would imagine their is no definitive line their. Have you ever hooked into a fish with a SPJ rod that was not ideal and how did you handle it?

·
Retired Member
5,446 Posts
Benny,

Would you say there is a limit to the size of the fish you could catch with the scenario above? With the different rated SPJ rods I would have to think yes but I would imagine their is no definitive line their. Have you ever hooked into a fish with a SPJ rod that was not ideal and how did you handle it?
never a catch that was worth the effort!! My biggest catches on SP were unfortunately sharks, 7’ to 8’ on either Poseidon or DeepLiner. It’s a long slow battle with one step forward and two steps back for awhile. Since I switched over to Hearty Rise I am waiting patiently for that one to take the rod to its max. I aware they know I’m ready. Lol

Benny

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Benny,

Benny do you know anyone who has used the new nomad line ammonite pe-3 breaks at 44lbs is it worth the price

·
2,284 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but the SP rod as mentioned is designed for presentation. More important is the reel that will be cranking up that Tuna.
That's not necessarily true. The newer generation of SPJ rods, some Hearty Rise and FC Labo rods are built so you can pump them like a man. It's a bit crazy to watch some of their videos bringing up some monster fish, the bends on the rods are incredible but then so were the catches. I'm with Benny, waiting until I get to put the SPJ3S Hearty Rods bending on big fish to learn how to fish them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's not necessarily true. The newer generation of SPJ rods, some Hearty Rise and FC Labo rods are built so you can pump them like a man. It's a bit crazy to watch some of their videos bringing up some monster fish, the bends on the rods are incredible but then so were the catches. I'm with Benny, waiting until I get to put the SPJ3S Hearty Rods bending on big fish to learn how to fish them.
At how much those alconite rods cost they better perform miracles. Some people really drank all the CoolAid and spent big time on them .

·
Registered
239 Posts
I caught a sand bar yesterday between 4-6ft on my black hole cape cod slow pitch rod 350g. I was able to pump it if I needed to and control the fish. The rod is by no means cheap (money wise) but it handled very well and I was shocked how much heat I could put on it

·
Registered
95 Posts
I caught a sand bar yesterday between 4-6ft on my black hole cape cod slow pitch rod 350g. I was able to pump it if I needed to and control the fish. The rod is by no means cheap (money wise) but it handled very well and I was shocked how much heat I could put on it
Same thing with their Boca slow pitch series of rods, I saw huge amberjack caught on them and people were fighting them normal , not pointing towards the fish and just reeling. There are several videos on YouTube with Kil catching Tuna up to 100lbs on their cape cod slow pitch rods

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the 400g BH CC slow pitch and would like to try out the 350g. The 400g pitches 210+ gram jigs fairly well. I feel the same way as you, impressed with the amount of heat you can put on a fish with it. Picked up a Shimano Game Type Slow J 330g and going to try it out tomorrow. Saw a video where Benny Ortiz doubled up and pulled up two big groupers at the same time with the rod.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts