360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Slow Pitch Rod

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Stevo 
#1 ·
Have decided on brand, but not lure rating? The two choice are 1.) 100-300g. 2.) 150-400g. This will be for head boat fishing in GOM. Rod is 6.3' I'm leaning toward #1. Any reason to go heavier?

#4 ·
I have Deepliner and Evergreen rods. Deepliner recommends to fish jigs within rating. If you watch Totos talk about the evergreen rods he talks about fishing under and over their rating. Personally, I would recommend the 150-400 too, especially if fishing close tp others. Last thing you want is to get tangled. When I go on party boats, I find myself fishing more weight than my neighbors.

Good luck

#5 ·
If you're looking at just one of the two, then you'll have to be realistic insofar as what weight jigs you'll use primarily. If the majority of your jigs are in the 100-175g range (and in the lower end of this range), I would say that Rod #1 would be my choice. If you are routinely fishing north of 150g, then Rod #2 would likely be the better option.

#7 ·
if the plan is to use the rod for jigging for tuna in GOM , then 200g-300g will be the normal range, up to 400g. The depth of the fish (200'-400'), speed of the drift (wind) and the current speed more often than not require using a heavier jig. For example on the last New Bucc trip (Dec 13-15), the Friday night fishing was tough. It was windy, had swells, a strong current and the fish were marking fairly deep 200+. Using a 300g jig, the jig would sink out at an almost 45 degree angle. It was very hard, if not impossible to get your jig into the fish zone. Under good to fair conditions, 200g would be my minimum recommendation. My go to jig is a flattened diamond glow, 225g (8oz). On Friday night, that jig just floated out, never got deep. I had to move up to 350g (12oz) version of the jig before i had any success. On Sat night, much better conditions, the 225g worked perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.