Slow-pitch jigging- The truth............... I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by lite-liner, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Mako22

Mako22 Junior member

Hard thread to read for a newby to this forum!!!

But I am a Pacific NW guy, living 2 miles from salt water on the Straits of Juan de Fuca (say that fast!!).

Buzz Bombs are used here, I have a box full of them but there are better jigs. The buzz bomb flat falls and rotates around the line (a through hole all the way down the center of the lure). Not a real deep water jig but I have used them to 100 feet or so. Should work fine around oil rigs. Let me know if you need more info. Local stores have them in stock. There are better ways to rig them than shown on the instructions with the lure.

iyaman and lite-liner like this.
  2. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

What does this mean ? I can’t read between those lines

iyaman likes this.

3. brn2surf1000

brn2surf1000 Member

Ignore button is great!

4. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Better not be ignoring me. I’ll stop liking your FB posts. Lol

5. KMitchell

KMitchell Senior Member

It dont work unless you announce it first???

6. KMitchell

KMitchell Senior Member

It was coded, sorry you got left out. This is coded too.

If fishing is the priority, this place runs alright.

brn2surf1000 likes this.
  7. KMitchell

KMitchell Senior Member

My vote is for sea dogs and less drama

iyaman, brn2surf1000 and tugasangler like this.
  8. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

6596781D-703B-4787-B5BE-E3BDADAF216D.jpeg I’m just trying to put some line on a new reel ... I’m all for it

lite-liner likes this.
  9. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

man that's nice lookin'

tugasangler likes this.
  10. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Was this the one before you quit buying or after? Lol

tugasangler likes this.
  11. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

this was the one

Hoogan and GARRIGA like this.
  12. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Is that code? One what lol

tugasangler likes this.
  13. Hoogan

Hoogan Junior member

I do not understand what this means? but it’s all good, the 360 members that I have shared great fishing experiences with on the water ( off the computer screen) know that I am a straight shooter and that I will give you the shirt off my back. Met great people in 360! Cheers.

PS. My avatar... my two year old granddaughter went from being petrified by a live pilchard off Dania pier to being fearless in less than two minutes, now she fishes regularly with grandpa. Rule no. 1 no video games with this old man.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  14. DoubleA

DoubleA Senior Member

i would love an update on slow pitch jigging in the Gulf of Mexico.

My rod gets delivered Monday so I am going to get out for the good lunar cycle at the end of the week, if this weather gets nice.

I would love jig suggestions for bottom fish in the gulf if anyone has any that I should try.

THANK YOU!
    AA

15. FalconerRods

FalconerRods Junior member

Double A I am entering my 5th season of SPJ (almost exclusively) in the GOM out of both OBA and Venice, LA. As stated above it WORKS. The same jigs that work elsewhere work here in the GOM...I have had extremely good luck with NLO Angle and Scoop jigs as well as several other shapes. Color does not seem to matter as much as shape/action. I tend to use the lightest jig that keeps me vertical so I get more flutter/drop/hang time...but at times a bigger jig seems to produce. As current gets worse or we fish deeper I go heavier. I have had great success under 100' of water, as well - sounds like that's a bit unusual in some places like Florida. If you are starting from scratch I'd buy several Angle Jigs and Scoop jigs in the 180 - 220 gram range and just try it. You'll figure out really quickly what works...you just have to believe in it and put in some time. PM me if you want more details...good luck!

Kim and kellerman2006 like this.
  16. kellerman2006

kellerman2006 Well-Known Member

I second everything falconer rods just stated. I live and fish in the panhandle of Florida. Depending where you launch out of, it can take a while to reach deeper water so I regularly fish between 80-150’ and have great success with spj. I can’t say enough about NLO jigs. They get crushed

17. Shallowminded31

Shallowminded31 Active Member

I was a doubter for the longest time. I finally decided to bite the bullet and get one for myself
    Today was the first real try at it..... MY GOD WHERE HAS THIS BEEN MY WHOLE LIFE!?

We red snapper fished today and I out fished the bait guys 3:1 and got the largest (admittedly, not actually large ~12lbs) of the day.

I'm hooked.

18. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

the beginners luck slow jigging is legendary.

Shallowminded31 likes this.