Slow-pitch jigging- The truth............... I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by lite-liner, Aug 29, 2018.

1. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

There. I said it. its right out there for everyone to see. I admit I was entirely
    off base in any statement regarding this technique being a re-polished "same-ole-thing".
    it's not. Not by a country mile.
    As you know I just returned from Pedasi. Pierre had been enlightening me through
    the week about the effectiveness & the comparative ease when considering the energy
    & strength level required for my beloved speed-jigging.
    Long and short, I got old. my body can no longer operate in that manner, period.
    So I started to listen. Being of an inquisitive nature, I had much time to handle & peruse a number of Pierre's rigs, & was astounded by their productivity.
    So Friday comes, Pierre joins us with his SPJ gear, & commences to literally hook up on damn near EVERY drop. from small groupers to jacks to rooster & a lost cubera, that system
    was consistently hooking up while all other forms failed.
    Also, the stress on the angler has got to be less than a 3rd of what speed- jigging is.
    The technique. this was the truly hard part. absolutely counter-intuitive from any way I've ever jigged before. I will learn it, I will master this. should be fun.
    As a result, I am dumping ALL of my speed jigging equipment, & re-investing in a SPJ setup
    I will be researching rods & am open to good advice from those that have mastered this craft.
    not interested in brand-fanboy stuff. If somebody can give me objective reviews & explanations, I'm in the market for a rod. one that is forgiving, as I'm sure I will fish it too hard until I get back that light jigging finesse I used to have.
    So in closing, I would like to apologize to those I have had heated arguments with in the past, when it was I thinking in the past.
    -Brian

2. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

3. lite-liner

Truth, dude. can't deny it.
    I knew I was gonna get raked over the coals on this one...
    I can take it. Let 'er rip!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

iyaman and cubanfishermar like this.
  4. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

If I’m to be honest I’ve been starting to feel the same way ... however I only feel like it’s another tool in the tool box a la capt greg ..... I will never think there is a replacement for natural bait in times ... a lot of the time when jigging works it’s best it’s because the presence of bait to compete isn’t around ... i saw a lot of that first hand on my last trip .. jigs get bit first then bait win the second half and subsequent ball game

HungryJack likes this.
  5. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Still waiting to hook something big on the slow pitch

6. cubanfishermar

cubanfishermar Senior Member

you should follow him to,lol

iyaman and lite-liner like this.
  7. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

me2, still waiting on the yft from the floaters.

8. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

I will let the others warm you up a bit,
    before I go :)

9. ballywho

ballywho Well-Known Member

popping was a bit rubbish that week. Slow-jigs often are the ticket when fishing gets tough. On the second boat, the 2 best fish of the week were caught slow-jigging:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bnz, iyaman, lite-liner and 1 other person like this.
  10. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I don’t follow. I’m a trend setter plus already have my OJ2kHG. Waiting on two Gravitates. Ordered 20 plus jigs and will likely match that during Labor Day sales. Plus have spools of Ultracast 20, J-Braid 30 and Yozuri Super Braid 50. I don’t mess around. :)

cubanfishermar likes this.
  11. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

Ok I’m in. Since I don’t have a conventional anyways I will invest in an SPJ outfit for the trip in September. So let question: what rod and reed should I get to manage a 60-100lb YFT? Any recommendations?

12. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

I just received a M, H, and HH custom slow pitch rods. Never done this before so it's a new thing for me. It's what I will be using this weekend on my 2nd trip to Alaska. I had been watching some videos, let's see if I can learn quick and catch some fish this time. Reading this thread, I'm glad my friend convinced me to try this method and was willing to send me his personal rods and reels.

semipro and tugasangler like this.
  13. ballywho

I don't think slow pitch gear is the right gear to target tunas...

bnz, benwah22, lite-liner and 3 others like this.
  14. iyaman

iyaman Senior Member

15. lite-liner

soooo, $2-3k in gear, to look like a pro. then learn how to do it.
    go get 'em trend-setter! nobody's ever done that.
    LOLOLOLOL, dude............

dewa kesuma likes this.
  16. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

I’ve fished with them and still do. Honestly, that’s the best way to learn . I’ve been talking and seeing them slow jig since 2013 and the concept of moving an object through the water by loading the rod started decades before that. My learning going to be what rod and lure best for each condition. Only time on the water going to solve that. Same fish. Same areas.

17. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Why do you guys struggle with sarcasm. :(

dewa kesuma and lite-liner like this.
  18. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Garriga what jigs on sale monday

19. ballywho

Garriga forget about slow pitch. You've missed that train already. Medium pace jigging is the new craze. You can get the rods and specialized reels from Japan, they are expensive but worth it:

[​IMG]

seth and lite-liner like this.