Slow Jigging and Light Jigging Thread

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by angryangler, Jan 10, 2015.

1. carlosburitica

carlosburitica Senior Member

explorer and jon holsenbeck like this.
  2. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Apparently run by the same people who can only talk about a fly, instead of substance, after the VP debate the other night. If that tells you anything. Or the same people who refused to post a pic of a 200+ lb goliath grouper caught on a trevala and oj 2000 because it was on a bucktail jig and not a "slow jig". I could go on, but won't.

Real people of substance.

iyaman, jiggingnut and lite-liner like this.

3. carlosburitica

Nope.... @angryangler started the group. Just swing by.

it got me back into fishing after being absent for 6 years since I moved to Texas.

tugasangler likes this.
  4. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

And I'm still mad at you for moving to TX! :D:p:cool:

I know who started the group. ;)

jon holsenbeck likes this.
  5. carlosburitica

I know. I came for a year or so and now 6 and going. I am fishing the Hubbards out of Madeira beach in nov6-8 39hr. To try this slow pitch game.. and trust me that I been thinking on going back to fl.... by brother in law just did.

6. jon holsenbeck

jon holsenbeck Well-Known Member

I haven't fished on the Hubbard's boat yet but if I were you I would go on the Yankee Capts out of Key West if you want to do some slow pitch jigging. You have a good chance of catching more and better fish on the jig down there.

tugasangler likes this.
  7. carlosburitica

I been fishing the Hubbards for 20years and been in the Yankee an handful of times. I used to live in Fort Lauderdale and fished many south Fl. party boats. This time I am traveling to Tampa for a week and found the opportunity to fish the Hubbards. To far and no time
    To make it to key west.

jon holsenbeck and tugasangler like this.
  8. jon holsenbeck

I'm going on a trip on the Gulfstar in December that has an extra day of fishing. It's called the "Grouperthon". I haven't been on Hubbard's yet because I don't like how many people they put on their boat. The trip I'm going on is limited to 15 people. To each his own. Good luck on your trip.

tugasangler likes this.
  9. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

hope you do well out there John. Remember just fish and pay attention . No fbi business . Lol

jon holsenbeck likes this.
  10. jon holsenbeck

Hopefully I'll catch a few grouper. The Gulfstar usually furnishes live pinfish and on my last trip I caught 5 red snapper and 4 grouper on them. I don't think I'll do as much slow pitch jigging on this trip but I will do some. I'll concentrate on grouper during the day and mangrove snapper at night. Hopefully I'll get at least a few of each.

tugasangler likes this.
  11. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

Do you catch a lot of AJs with the live baits ?

12. carlosburitica

Actually non stop aj jigging in That boat. This time it will
    Be slow pitch.... this I video I have from few years back

13. jon holsenbeck

On the trip I went on I caught two or three small AJs, all on slow pitch. There were only a few caught for the whole boat on that trip and nothing I saw was bigger than 20-30 lbs. There were many more ARS caught than AJs.

14. jon holsenbeck

If I go on a trip and the boat tries to catch a bunch of AJs I won't go on that trip again. I haven't run into that situation yet and I hope I don't.

15. jon holsenbeck

I tried to keep my jigs close to the bottom on my Yankee Capts trip so I wouldn't encounter very many Jack's. I still caught a decent sized almaco jack (that got me soaking wet, btw) though.

16. starkc6969

starkc6969 New Member

Thanks for a great thread...I've read it from beginning to end, laughing and learning along the way. I've used some slow pitch jigs without SPJ equipment and have had decent success, including small Bluefin Tuna. I'm very excited to get the correct equipment and work on the technique hopefully changing my 'decent' success to 'great' success. I'm looking at a Shimano OJ2K-HG as the reel. As for a rod, that's where I'm torn. I'm in the Northeast and don't typically get to the Canyons much, so the deepest I'm usually fishing is 300'. I LOVE jigging for Bluefin Tuna up to 200lb class and really want to utilize this technique and setup. With that said, I envisioned using PE4 line with 65lb Fluro topshot (I've got this same line setup on my Sargosa 10K setup and landed these BFT without problem)... so the rods I've been leaning towards are either Black Hole 662HMF or 581H3R or one of the Temple Reef or possibly Jigging World GH options. Any feedback on rod choice or line choice is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    tugasangler likes this.