Slow cooker pulled pork?

Discussion in 'Food and Recipe' started by Fightingfish, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Fightingfish

Fightingfish Well-Known Member

Howdy, all. I gotta take my slow cooker pulled pork to the next level. I live in an apt, so unfortunately a smoker is not in the cards. Any recommendations for recipes/rubs/BBQ sauces/best cuts/etc?

I've used a coffee based rub that was delicious. I've used cola in the slowcooker, apple juice, various spice rubs, all sorts of stuff. I think my best results were with the coffee rub and a little cola in the cooker, with BBQ sauce added after the slow cooking.

2. CDB

CDB Member

If you want to go a totally different route I have a carnitas recipe that I make in the slow cooker. Pork shoulder, 2 cans rotel, 3 limes and fajita rub. Cook down, pull it then spread it on a baking sheet add more lime and fajita seasoning and bake in the oven at 450 until it gets crispy. Yumm.

Fajita Rub: Salt, cumin, garlic, onion, chili powder, white pepper, red pepper and chili powder. You can adjust the spices to suit your taste.

3. Kim

Kim Senior Member

Joe you could always slow cook in the oven at 225F. Never tried it myself but it should work in the oven if it works in the BGE. These butts were in the BGE 18 hrs at 225 F.

The first 12 hours is uncovered with fat side up. The last 5 hours is wrpped in heavy duty aluminum foil and I put in about 2 shots of Jack Daniels and about two shots of honey. Seal the foil up tight and let it do it's thing. After the last 6 hours, open foil, break up the butt cleaning out the fatty stuff and when that's all in a pan, skim fatty oil off the juices and then spoon the juice over the BBQ.

20170217_145115.jpg 20170217_145605.jpg 20170218_081153.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    jshorty, victor and Snaphappy like this.
  4. buddyclaude

buddyclaude Senior Member

I too use the "Butt Rub" in the above middle picture for pork shoulders and pork chops. Great stuff for an all around seasoning. It works on chicken too. My limited experience prefers a true Boston Butt, not the 'Picnic' Pork Shoulder Cut. Get a good digital thermometer and know the internal meat temperature if you use an oven. With a pork butt you will hit "the stall" at about 160F internal meat temperature. It will stay at that temp for several hours. It will be done and perfect to pull at 200 or so. Foil it around 180 or so like Kim suggests to help keep it moist. On my Akorn kettle grill I place a large aluminum pan under the meat to catch the drippings - less mess to clean up. Low and slow is preferred but I find it will work at cook temp of 300 degrees. You just have to watch the meat temperature very close. Some people add some apple cider and a favorite BBQ sauce when they pull it.

5. livelife

livelife Member

when i cook my venison i use 2 parts montreal steak seasoning and one part instant coffee with some olive oil to marinate or maybe try without the olive oil as a run good luck