SKB Rod Case Cut Down

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by MrBill, Dec 9, 2008.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The airlines have made it difficult to travel with longer rod cases. They will hit you with some outrageous fees on longer tubes. I have a few of the SKB rod carrier's and like them as they don't roll around like the home made PVC variety. They are also triangular in shape which makes them almost crush proof.

The problem with the stock SKB is the length. It will handle rods up to 7'2" in length. That's great for tossing in the back of a truck, but not good for traveling. It has a fixed overall length of 89 1/2". I needed a shorter case and have given up trying to find one. So, I cut down the standard SKB to handle rods up to 5' 6". I left 5'8" inside the case so I can overlap the rod tips with other rod butts. I like using velcro straps to keep the rods tight against each other. The SKB has padded inserts in both ends of the case.

I took the standard SKB case and made two cuts off one end of the case. The off-fall was then used to overlap the butt joint of the "shorter" case. A kerf down one of the flat sides of the off-fall enables it to open up and slide over the newly formed shorter case. Stainless steel rivets were used to fasten the overlapped off-fall to the two new sections. Rivet selection is important as it is difficult to rivet into a composite material such as the SKB without having a nub stick out on the inside of the case. After experimenting with different rivets, I finally got the right size to keep the inside clean and flush.

Attached Files:

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Continental has the best policy i've seen. It will charge for over 115 linear inches (80 inches in length if Continental express or continental connection). However you just need to say its fishing gear and you won't get charged as you normally would for over 62 linear inches. See the link below

Continental Airlines - Sports Equipment

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

This summer I had two cases and got soaked for $125 per rod case each direction into Mexico. That was $500 down the toilet. I would rather have drank 100 five dollar margarita's instead of giving it to the airlines.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah i agree its a scam. continental has been very good abt it. if i cant fly with them i just ship everything UPS.

5. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

This summer I had two cases and got soaked for $125 per rod case each direction into Mexico. That was $500 down the toilet. I would rather have drank 100 five dollar margarita's instead of giving it to the airlines.
    Coming back from PV we had 4 - 48 quart ice chests packed with tuna.
    The guy checking us in said we would have to pay $100 a piece. I told him I would pay him $100 cash if he just let them slide. He didn't flinch before putting the coolers on the conveyor.
    Its seems airlines keep finding more ways to take our money from us.

6. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

thats pretty cool. i was interested in the skb rod case but the length detered me. now that might be an option

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

how much is this case?
    you always have option of nature boyz or carmate case from APS which is adjustable length

8. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

I have used this rod tube and it will fit up to 10 conventional rods or 8 spinners.

9. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

The guy checking us in said we would have to pay $100 a piece. I told him I would pay him $100 cash if he just let them slide. He didn't flinch before putting the coolers on the conveyor.

I prefer this method.

10. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Great idea MrBill! I have two SKB tubes that will be getting this treatment. I have been traveling mainly with the Carmate case lately due to the SKB length.