360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some thoughts about jigging rods, in relation to other sporting goods and equipment. This may have been thought of before, but tennis raquets come in different sizes for the users, golf clubs, pool cues and many other things. I don't think many fishermen think about rods in the same way.

With speed/mechanical jigging I sometimes notice that people like rods that are about their same height or less, but not longer. My favorite length rod is in the neighborhood of 5'10", which is also my height.

I have just wondered about this and if anyone had ever thought about this.

·
2,924 Posts
Ive never thought about it as a component product as you have described but I guess that another way to look at it. I think rod length has a lot to do with preferred technique.

I believe longer rods can be mechanical jigged but they arent ideal for a short stroke style as the longer length is more suited for a long stroke. Similar to golf .... SOME PEOPLE can hit a driver off the deck with a low stinger type shot even though it was meant to hit off the tee.

I like short stroke so I use a short sub 5'2" stick but when I use a long stroke technique a longer 5'8" rod is ideal to jig out of belt

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Similar to golf .... I can hit a driver off the deck with a low stinger type shot even though it was meant to hit off the tee.

I bet you $10 that you "cant" hit a driver off the deck Glenn...:D :D :p :p just kidding but I do want to see you do it though...next time I am in NY, lets hit the driving range. :eek:

·
2,924 Posts
I bet you $10 that you "cant" hit a driver off the deck Glenn...:D :D :p :p just kidding but I do want to see you do it though...next time I am in NY, lets hit the driving range. :eek:

I knew you were going to comment. I dont mean me literally. My father in law could use his driver off the deck with no issue but he also shoots high 70's

G

·
for speed jigging, 5'2", 5'4" or so is a nice length. for slower jigging, 7'+ :)

compromise would be 5'9" - 6'0" if i wanted a jack of all trades rod.

interesting comment about the height versus rod length (insert innuendo here). Never really thought about it. itd be interesting to try. I'd try with the 6' rod i have....except i'm only 5'11" :( ;)

·
724 Posts
actually, from a pure physics type standpoint, grip length should be tied to height far more so than rod length. In other words if you want a fairly long stroke when pumping to gain line and don't want to high stick, the length of your rear grip should be considered as reel seat length is somewhat fixed. If your arms are short and your rear grip is rather long, it is hard to lower the rod to a postion where the grip is slightly above parallel when in a fighting belt. This causes you to either use a short stroke when pumping or to have to over power your rod. Why doesn't OTI or some of the other manufacturers offer more than one length for the rear grip. The only way to avail yourself of such an option is buy a custom rod.

G

·
Why doesn't OTI or some of the other manufacturers offer more than one length for the rear grip. The only way to avail yourself of such an option is buy a custom rod.

you cant produce rods off the shelf that will fit everyone's body types or even likes. Specific things such as rear grip length would require a custom build. it all relates to demand. having a factory produce individual rods or many different styles of rods but only a few of each doesnt really work.

my dad had an oti blank wrapped custom by paul with a much shorter rear grip than comes standard for precisely the reason you mentioned.

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
My suggestion is not to go custom when you jig for the first time.
Once you jig for a while, you get to know what you fit for you and you can go custom if you can not find right rods for you.
Think about golf club. How many guys go to custom golf club when they start. You might have hard time to sell them.

·
Site Sponsor
4,162 Posts
you cant produce rods off the shelf that will fit everyone's body types or even likes. Specific things such as rear grip length would require a custom build. it all relates to demand. having a factory produce individual rods or many different styles of rods but only a few of each doesnt really work.

my dad had an oti blank wrapped custom by paul with a much shorter rear grip than comes standard for precisely the reason you mentioned.
great idea your dad had.
he took advantage of the OTI sale.:D
that is good for getting the size you like..they may work better for you.

most guys are not novice fisherman, just new at jigging

talking to a builder can really give you a good idea of actions, lengths, and a better way to fit yor needs.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
I knew you were going to comment. I dont mean me literally. My father in law could use his driver off the deck with no issue but he also shoots high 70's

HAHAHA! I am just playing with you Gman! :D :D

·
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually, from a pure physics type standpoint, grip length should be tied to height far more so than rod length.

Yeah, maybe that is the piece I am looking for, to help me sort out this thought.

I am only talking custom builds here. Many people ask me about the rods and I like to have the answers thought out, before the question is asked. I haven't been able to totally sort this one out in my mind.

Thanks for the good comments everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts