360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question. is new shimano saragosa 8000h or daiwa bg mq 10000 with pe3.(i estimate that i can put around 400m of braid on them) enough to land 20-30kg bluefin tuna from shore. rod wil probably be the new savage gear sgs6 60-150g

·
Registered
14 Posts
yes and no, something fair....but this 10k spool +100m. If you go with bg, I would go with 14k (with gosa exchange spools 8k-10k. I don't like xg ratio 14k).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes and no, something fair....but this 10k spool +100m. If you go with bg, I would go with 14k (with gosa exchange spools 8k-10k. I don't like xg ratio 14k).
i was also considering new gosa 10000 but the problem is that is is a power gear and it would be usseles for shore jigging, etc

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
I think any of those choices will work well.
The real question is where on the planet are you catching 40-60kg bluefin tunas from shore??

·
Super Moderator
6,261 Posts
my mistake, but where are you catching bluefin from shore?
I can only think of a couple of places.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i was also considering new gosa 10000 but the problem is that is is a power gear and it would be usseles for shore jigging, etc
I'm curious why this would be an issue (trying to learn here, not debate). With the gosa 8K you have a higher gear ratio at 5.6 and 42 inches per crank. With the 10K gosa, you have the lower gear ratio at 4.9 and 40 inches per crank. Is your concern about the 10K more about jig presentation or handling the fish once hooked? To me, it looks like both would present the jig on the retrieve about the same due to similar IPC; but the 10K would get the fish in easier due to the lower gear ratio/more power.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm curious why this would be an issue (trying to learn here, not debate). With the gosa 8K you have a higher gear ratio at 5.6 and 42 inches per crank. With the 10K gosa, you have the lower gear ratio at 4.9 and 40 inches per crank. Is your concern about the 10K more about jig presentation or handling the fish once hooked? To me, it looks like both would present the jig on the retrieve about the same due to similar IPC; but the 10K would get the fish in easier due to the lower gear ratio/more power.
i am concered about the gear ratio and presentation of jigg, because on the deep areas 35m+ (110ft+) the presentation of jigg would be very poor(300ft cast+100ft of line underwater)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts