360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a question. is new shimano saragosa 8000h or daiwa bg mq 10000 with pe3.(i estimate that i can put around 400m of braid on them) enough to land 20-30kg bluefin tuna from shore. rod wil probably be the new savage gear sgs6 60-150g

·
Registered
61 Posts
Weve landed tuna up to 20kg or so with a Saragosa 8k but it was not easy and we were fishing from a boat, you may want to go up to a 10k sized reel or bigger.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My buddy has landed them around 20kg I think on a slammer III 3500 and 30lb braid without too much difficulty, gets them in about 10 minutes. I think it's more about how you use the gear than what gear it is. For fish that size you could definitely get away with a big baitcaster and 50lb braid.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you get an 8K Saragosa, you can always buy a 10K spool assembly and swap them out. If the fish are on the bigger end of that range, throw the 10k spool on, get more capacity or higher PE.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go with the 10K, almost the same weight as the 8 and more line capacity, you know, in case you get something bigger! My 10K did some serious damage on bf in the 15-20 range and I had PLENTY of line left on the reel (on a boat).

·
Registered
80 Posts
20~30kg bft, means there are bound to be 40kg ~ mixed in.
Your fishing from shore so i im guessing from the rocks right? Which means you need strong tackle to keep em from cutting you off after the first run.
Like the suggestion above, I would go with a 14k spooled with 300m of PE6, 110~140lb leader.
Personally, use a 18k stella spooled with PE10 for the 30kg yft off the rocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts